Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Looking for a good travel case
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  2:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Tpers, I scored a new (used) Taylor 615CE. Came with a crumby case, so I'm on the lookout for a good travel case for this Jumbo. I have a Calton for my 814CE, but of course the jumbo won't fit and I'm not sure I want to spring for a new one. I've looked at the websites for Ameritage and Cedar Creek and these are both somewhat less than a Calton. I'm disinclined to go with the standard SDK or TKL. Any other suggestions or comments about these two other vendors. Thanks

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  3:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Chunk, We have 2 Ameritage cases. They are NOT travel cases, They are pretty (we have 2 fabric types), but as somebody else said (I am sworn to secrecy) "they are heavier than a dead priest". They are big time plywood covered with pretty fabric. They are also prone to be eaten by Golden Retrievers (true). They cost about as much as a Calton (without the special attention and special fit and special protection - the maker's customer service really services you, too). We also have 2 Cedar Creek cases, and they are just about the best for an "average" case. They are fitted to your guitar (if they know what your guitar is and they have the pattern). They have the usual rotten black vinyl covering, they have good handles, their plated latches corrode about as fast as anybody else's plated latches. Their padding, if they are made for your guitar, is nice and tight. Neither are air tight, which is a big deal for us in major fluctuating humidity regions. UAL WILL KILL them.

We have had both SDK and TKL and never will again. I have a semispecial Harptone fake cowhide for my Leach which is cheaper than a Cedar Creek, but about as good, but not a travel case either.

If you value your guitar vs. have constant RH (which I think I remember you actually do), you could probably save $2.99 with a Cedar Creek, but why bother?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  05:29:29 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to locate the large, oversized soft bags that you can put your stock hardshell case inside of for traveling. Seems a bit more versatile. One bag for which ever guitar you are taking.

Anybody know what I'm talking about and where they can be found ?

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  05:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Try Colorado Case Company. Good service and good workmanship. I'm very happy with the soft case they made for me.

www.coloradocase.com

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, Terry, I am right in the middle of correcting an unpleasant case discovery that I could have avoided if I had read Taylor's web site more carefully.

Wooden cases hold a surprisingly large amount of water. This late summer and fall was cool and very humid here in CT (65-70%). Since it was cool, we did not run the A/C and the humidity was very high inside the house. I was stupidly astounded that 3 of our guitars with normally nice low action became swollen pumpkins even though they were in the cases, as Taylor and all other mfg. suggest. I put hygrometers in the cases and it was swampy inside them. So, I did what Taylor suggests and dryed the *cases* out with a hair dryer set on medium. Then, luckily, a front came through and the humidity inside the house lowered slowly- it is now 35%. I have those swollen guitars in their now dry cases with the tops open and the action is slowly returning to near what it was - it is not back to normal yet, though,but they will get there. ( I won't let them get below 30%, BTW). I am going to buy a dehumidifier for those cool wet periods in Spring and Fall, just as I have a humidifier for our very dry winters and A/C for our wet summers - but I am going to set that lower than I have - it will be about 40-45% which is the RH that most luthiers build at..

The guitars in the Caltons did *not* swell, because they are FRP and may in fact be totally airtight. One guy I know lost a Calton (with guitar in it) in a flooding river. When recovered, the case was a little bruised but the guitar was dry as a bone and had no dings.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/05/2006 12:10:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Chunky,
have you checked with Bruce Lamb in Clairemont? Isn't that one of the things he does for a living -- designing travel cases?

http://www.casextreme.com/index.html

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000