Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 MacBook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  06:42:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a MacBook running on OS X, version 10.4.8 with all the basics. I'm interested in doing some home recording and I was wondering what's the best way to record acoustic guitar and 'ukuele without going broke. I know I need a good mic, but what do I need to plug it into to interface, etc.

Mahalo for your suggestions!

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Pops,
I think you'll need a computer interface because the Macbook doesn't have an audio input. It can be a little interface box or it could be an interface with a mixer built-in.
It could be a simple as an interface:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540
A mixer:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB502-5Channel-Compact-Mixer?sku=631239
And a mic:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-CM88-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277048
Many people will tell you to spend more, but this would get you going. I use Garageband on my Mac all the time and it works great.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 12/10/2006 07:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jesse, for the useful suggestions and the hyperlinks. I really apprecitate it and so does Santa!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  8:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Pops,
I have a mac G4 powerbook. I don;t know if the Macbook has Garageband, but i would assume it does. I found a really cool, inexpensive device last year called GuitarPlug. It is a cord with USB on one end and a fat 1/4" jack at the other. The jack converts the signal from your guitar's pickup into digital information and feeds it right into your computer. If yo do not have a pickup in your guitar or less likely the uke, just mike the darned thing and get an adapter for the mike cable so yo have a female 1/4" jack to plug the guitarplug into. I have even used it to mike vocals that way. It ain't the best for vocals, but the guitar comes thru just fine and it is probably the cheapest and simplest to use. I think it would work on any comuter system with a USB port on it

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The GuitarPlug is one way to go but you can also get decent condenser and dynamic mics now that plug directly into a USB port. They run $80 and up. Samson is probably your best bet and using a mic instead of the GuitarPlug gives you more flexibility in terms of recording both guitar and vocals.

Another option is the Zoom H4 field recorder ($299) we've been discussing in other threads. You can use the built-in stereo mics to record directly onto a SecureDigital card ($30 online for 2GB) or use the H4 as a USB interface and record directly into your computer. The advantage of the H4 is that it's extremely portable and you can record on the road then transfer it to your computer later. I did some recording at the SoCal kanikapila yesterday and will post some samples when I get a chance. With the H4's X/Y stereo mic setup you can also position the unit on its side between the guitar and your mouth and record both vocals and guitar quite nicely.

I'll also add a vote for GarageBand...unless you're trying to do professional live multitrack recording it's by far the most powerful and intuitive recording app for the Mac and is a steal as part of the iLife package for $79. (Although I'd wait until after the MacWorld show at the beginning of January to buy if you can...chances are that the new version of iLife will be announced then.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/11/2006 1:48:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  10:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I agree with Craig about the Zoom -- it's a dandy little basic USB interface and it'll serve double duty as a field recorder.

However -- the question to ask your self is not "How cheaply can I do this?" but "How can I do this properly for not a lot of money?"

If all you want to do is play around with basic recording & have fun, then you can do it very cheaply indeed. Use GarageBand & pick up a cheap-o mic & interface. Total outlay -- less than $100 - $200.

(Or, if you really want to cheap out, use the mic built into your Macbook. It works with Garageband just fine...)

If you want to actually record something that sounds like your guitar & `ukulele, plan on spending maybe $400 - $500 total for a decent mic or two and a reasonable interface & software bundle.

By the way, did I mention I wrote a book called "Getting Started in Computer Music?"

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  4:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo everyone for your thoughtful suggestions. They are most appreciated. My son also suggested an M Audio interface with a good mic. He uses it with Garageband with really nice results. Anyone have any experice with this tool? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  08:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I've had terrible experience with M-Audio products. They're great when they work but if anything ever goes wrong they have the worst customer support I've ever run across. (And things have gone wrong with both products I've owned.) They won't get my business again.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000