Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Cheap Digital Recorder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  8:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so we know about quality handheld recorders are out there -- $300 to $400 ones. And thank you to Mark, Sarah and other "patchers" for their findings with these products. But do you really need a high end recorder for recording practice. Sure you'll be giving up on quality, that's a given. But if you just need to hear the melody of a mele so you can learn it or maybe figure out a harmony, or just hear how much you've progress with a piece, I'm sure there are digital voice recorders that will do. I've used my older iPod with a mike, but found out that when I update my iPod my voice recordings are erased. So what decent inexpensive ($100 or less) digital voice recorders have others found sufficient.

Aloha nui,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  03:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Genaro,

I have looked and haven't found anything like the Zoom H4 under (or even near) $100. Of course, I probably haven't been exhaustive in my search. I guess it depends on what you mean by "digital" (totally solid state? moving parts like disks?, etc.) and what features you expect the device to have apart from a mic, an ADC/DAC combo, a controller, a speaker/earphone, and something for storage. Writing that list, just now, makes me think that a bundle like that simply can't be $100 or less. Did your iPod and mic combo total come to $100 or less? Maybe just a used MD recorder would do it for you.

If you find something, be sure to let us all know.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
If a digital voice recorder would work okay for documenting songs and recording yourself for learning, then there are lots of them out there, including many by Olympus as cheap as $30. Amazon is a good place to buy them.
Most DVRs have three quality levels and you'd only be interesteding in the highest one, usually called HQ. SP and LP are usually the other two. To get a significant amount of recording time, you'll have to get a newer one. The specs often don't give recording time in HQ mode, so you may just have to buy one with a larger memory, like 256mb or higher. Some of the Olympus models have a USB plug built into the case so you can put it right into the computer without a cable.
I bought my wife an iRiver for this purpose. It's an MP3 player with a voice recorder built in. It works okay for her to record music lessons with her teacher, then download it for practicing at home. I got her the 512mb recorder model for about $70.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Reid: I'd also recommend the iRiver MP3 player...especially the 799 or 899 models. There are several interesting reviews and forum discusions online about these. I think I paid about $80 for a 1G model...which gives 17+ hours of recording time! Add a quality mic (next time you have spare change!) and it'll do some pretty amazing recording for you. I was impressed to read some fairly detailed forum discussions about how pros/semipros use these little devices to capture live sound.
Don
PS: Hi Jesse! Looking forward to playing with you this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Doc! See you Saturday. Can you email the starting time and some directions? I've been to Jean's once, but directions have slipped my mind. Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  11:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I also own the iRiver mp3 player and have used it for recording. it works very well for the price, which is well under$75 now (it was higher when I bought it). Sound is decent for recording practices. With appropriate plugs and adapters you can hook up two mikes and record in stereo. I heard about one guy who attached a tiny mic on either side of his ball cap and got some interesting recordings. Was that a taropatch person? Can't recall. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  6:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Jesse: Check your email for the map. I think we're starting early (1-ish), but watch here for clarification of the time.

Don

PS: This might actually be my last post as an "aloha" . . . ya-hoo! And . . . just wait 'til you see Hili's new uke!
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,
I did not purchase my iPod for recording live music. I found out later that it could do so. I just didn't expect updating my music library would erase the voice recordings. Maybe there's a way to prevent this. I haven't found out. So it's losing the voice recording when updating my music library that made me consider a cheap digital voice recording--wanted to be modern and not deal with tapes. (don't like rewind) I've spent my high quality handheld digital recorder money on high quality ukuleles so a less expensive recorder is what I wanted. And I'm not expecting to record my practice sessions for the masses. Maybe in the future high quality recorders will be the need. Thanks to other patchers for their input.
Laters,
Genaro

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Here's a follow up for iPod recordings. After playing with my Mac I discovered that voice recordings lost in the update did not disapear afterall. So here's what happens when you update. The voice memos are transferred to the computer's hard drive. So you are now able to play voice memos on your computer. Go to Playlist and there you'll find Voice Memos.
Not only will you find the voice memos on your computer, but they actually transfer back to the iPod. It's in the pod's playlist "Voice Memos". Never went down far enough on my playlist to notice it.
Voice memos are originally titled as the date and time recording was made. But you can rename these on your computer. Click on the memo, go to "get info" command and rename.
Okay can someone get me a towel so I can wipe off the egg on my face. And does anyone know how to get the stupid out of your brain? No, I'm not giving up the booze which may destroy brain cells.
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Edited by - GUke on 11/24/2006 09:28:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  6:47:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

Jesse: Check your email for the map. I think we're starting early (1-ish), but watch here for clarification of the time.

yup :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey..Genaro...Took some advice from Jesse..came up with a real nice recorder for the money...I give it 4 1/2 stars outta 5!..great for recording practices or small coffeehouse gigs with a handful of players. the OLYMPUS DS-2 Digital Voice Recorder. You can also burn what you record to CD's if you want on your pc. Check it out at Amazon.com...most of the 50 or so reviews are very positive. I love mine....Aloha...Ken.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000