Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 improvising
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Francie
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ray and Sarah, Your comments make sense. Sounds like it is just a matter of copying and piecing together until parts start to become my own.
Francie
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  05:31:00 AM  Show Profile
I enjoyed your suggestions, Sarah. I've found that classiscally trained folks tend to play melody and harmony lines rather than run chord changes as in various folk styles (Bluegrass, Country, Blues, Jazz,etc). Learn to hear the changes. Most noodling is done in the context of the chord and how it flows to the next change. The prine examples are vamps. The variations in vamps should constitute ki ho'alu 101.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Francie,
Some call it improvisation, others simply "noodling", anywhow, John Keawe has a unique approach. Quite simple actually, find a theme melody you've created, and build around it using it repeatly. Apply 7th's, and repeat some turnarounds. VOILA! With your background in classical music I'm sure you'll come with some beautiful melodies.
Have fun, goold luck.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
this is so cool. go back a few years, and you'll see many of the people giving advice here were asking variations of same question back then. me too.

for what it's worth: progress for me has come in bursts. i'll get into a rut, and then something clicks - some simple but beautiful thing kevin did, some bit of tab from mark hansen or mark nelson, or a word from dave nye.

i often have that feeling if i could just relax a bit more, i could improvise better.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage
Francie,

George Kahumoku, Jr's workshops are a great way to learn to improvise. He structures his beginner classes on the finger positions all along the neck of the guitar, showing where the same chords can be played in different places, with different transitions between them, creating different sounds. It provides a great structure for improvisation.

As I understand you are in Ashland, I am in Mount Shasta and teach some beginning workshops and would be pleased to show you what I have learned.

Also, George's son and Grammy Winner, Keoki Kahumoku, Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta, Jr. will be having a concert in Mount Shasta (Weed), CA on Jan. 20th, 2006, followed the next day by a slack key and 'ukelele workshop. I've had instruction from Keoki and he also makes understanding how it all works together very understandable. You would be hard pressed to find better instruction than from these guys, especially, when they are available so close to you. More details at the Slack Key Preservation Society website: http://www.skps.org.

Regards,
Ken Armstrong
the Slack Key Preservation Society
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000