Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Ovation and Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Uncle Kevin!
We've missed your stories here in the taropatch.
Happy new year!
aunty n
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  7:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Yes, those round backs also present a problem for ladies. It's difficult to get one of those Ovation Ukes to behave when you're standing up playing and singing!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile
This IS a great thread.

Karl, can you point me to a good tab of Crow River Waltz? I friend of mine played in taropatch (open g)...listened to the leo kottke version on rhapsody...and I just gotta learn this one. Point, pm, email, whatever. (six string)

Thanks guy!. So, ya getting outdoors much these days?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  6:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Karl,

I read your post that included Crow River Waltz. Really, I am such a novice when it comes to what is out there. So I looked it up on Rhapsody and loved it! But I was wondering what you were talking about with regards to "staying in tune". I got a hold of the tab and first played it on my 20 year old (solid wood) Ibinez. Took forever to get the tuning settled in. I was able to learn it well enough, but I was not satisfied with the sound...tuning would not hold over the long haul. So I got my Taylor 810 tuned up (and plugged into my blonde) and WOW!!! what a difference. I'm not saying that I do not know there is a difference between the two guitars...I've known that since day one of owning the Taylor. But the Taylor had NO problem holding the tuning, and just sounded great playing Crow River Waltz. Thanks for pointing out the tune...perhaps I'll record and post that too.!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  7:46:03 PM  Show Profile
BTW, I am using Exlir Nanowebs, medium. I have a little buzz problem with the higher 2 strings playing some of the low fret stuff. I really do not want to adjust my guitar for this. Would a heavier gauge help? Yes, I can get buzz on the lower strings too.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile
The original tuning I was using starts with a# on the low 6 string. But, as it turns out, one can use TP tuning...works much better and there is no "buzz" problem.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  9:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mike,
Been entertaining my sister form New Jersey, then out rounding up the reindeer, patching the igloo, shot a few seals for blubber oil (lamps were running low), and put up a new fence for the ploar bears (to keep them out, not in). Ice fishing today, caught a couple marlin, nothin over 6 feet, though
As far as CRW, it is played in open G, and what i meant by staying in tune was not so much that the guitar went out of tune, but that the INTONATION was not the same from the 12th fret downj to the open position you end on. The song can be played on a 6 sting, but the main melody note is on the 3rd string, adn it is that high octave G string that provides the melody you hear on the recording. I have found that on many guitars, including a $2000 Martin 12strign, that when you tune it up corrctly and try to play that descending run, the notes on many of the base courses are sharp up near the 12th fret
I could show you easier than explain it. Have you found a tab yet for the song? Is the 810 a 12 string? I have never noticed a difference in bguzzing between diffeent bradns of strings. Mine sounds ok to me with anything,. I do like the elixers because the seem to last longer
I have my 12 tuned downj to F taropatch and there is no problem with buzzing. What wastt the tuning that began with A#. Was it taropatch dropped down four frets??? That would bge a stretch even for my Taylor, which was made for low tunings, like CGCGCE. But A# is really low. Maybe i'll try that, see hoow much deeper a growl i can get from it

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I finally figured out it could be played in Open G (on one of Mark Hanson's website...) However, the tab I found was on www.911tabs.com...and it suggested this A#D#A#GD#A# wacked out tuning. As long as I played plugged in, I could do it OK on my Taylor (6 string). I need a twelve string...gonna look for a Taylor if I can find one. However, it is MUCH easier in open G (obviously)... and I understand the intonation problem better. Still better on my 810 than my Ibinez. I do not know much about 12 string...would the tab be the same? IE, is the note or tab position treating the string pairs as one?

Mike

Igloo? Blubber? Ha!!!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mike
Tab for 12 string is same as 6 string. The pairs are either in unison (top two sets) or one octave apart (string sets 3,4,5,6). The high third string is what really gives the 12 string its distinctive voice, and the way Kottke plays it that string is pinched along with the 1st string, so the thuimb hits the high 3rd string first,reallly bringing it forward for the melody. In most other tunes, using the fingers, that string set would be attacked from above, and the high octave string would have less voice to it.
I'll have to try that tuning. All it is is taropatch tuned down 4 frets, but with the 2nd and 3rd strings reversed; it translates to DGDBGD instead of DGDGBD (taropatch). That would hae you playing the melody on the unison 2nd string, which may sound really cool . But then, tuning down that far for one song would not make much sense
Well, i just tried that A# tuning, and it is a mess. hard to keep anything in tune very long down there. I can figure out the song, but i like it much better in open F or G

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Karl, check the tab at 911tabs.com...I cannot remember if I got it right...though it should have sounded correct to you, though 4 half steps low. Really tough keeping it tuned, eh? Much prefer open G for this.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Slackkeymike
send me an email and tell me if you got my email to you...i sent it twice from your bio page and got a return message each time

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  04:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Better late than never....goin back to the first posting...I have an Ovation Ballader and though I prefer to play Slack Key on my Guild..I do occassionally ...when I want a big hall sound...play it throuh my acoustic Crate amp with the Ovation and it's high end and very sweet. I do have to use a strap through..those babies like to crawl around on your lap at times!....Love Ovations!...They take a lickin and keep on tickin!...Ken.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000