Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Top 50 Kanikapila Songs You Should Know
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  07:22:56 AM  Show Profile
Don't know if this has been discussed before or not so here goes it.

We (SCSKS) had a nice opportunity to get together before Christmas and kanikapila. We were able to sit out on the back porch (lanai) and play/sing some songs we all knew -- that lasted for a few minutes. Then we had some sheet music and a few ukulele thrown in and the REAL kanikapila started. Some knew the melodies, some knew the ki ho'alu on guitar, some could strum the chords on ukulele, and some just hummed along -- not too much Pa'ani going on. Since we are in sunny southern Kaliponi, not too many kanaka are in the group to educate us.

Here is the project. I would like to put together a list and personal songbook of the "Top 50 Songs" you should know to join in a kanikapila and have fun. If chords/lyric sheets are available for the group to look at, transposed to the key of G or F, we can get more people to join in and share the aloha.

I just briefly went through "He Mele Aloha" (HMA) and picked out songs that I thought would be ones most On-Islanders would know. What do I know -- Im just an off-island haole kama'aina? Here is the list (in almost alphbetical order with HMA reference page):

Adios Ke Aloha - HMA2
'Akaka Falls - HMA10
'Alekoki - HMA12
Aloha 'Oe - HMA19
For You a Lei - HMA35
Hanalei Moon - HMA40
He Punahele No 'Oe - HMA56
Henehene Ko 'Aka - HMA60
Hi'ilawe - HMA62
Ka'a Aha Kahului
Kaimana Hila - HMA99
Kanaka Wai Wai - HMA108
Kaula 'Ili - HMA114
Ke Kali Nei - HMA122
Ku'u Hoa - HMA136
Ku'u Lei Awapuhi - HMA141
Laupahoehoe Hula - HMA147
Lei Nani - HMA151
My Yellow Ginger Lei - HMA185
Radio Hula - HMA240
Sanoe - HMA243
'Ulili E - HMA263
Ulupalakua - HMA265
Wahine 'Ilikea - HMA269
White Sandy Beach - HMA283

(recently added from Lawrence and Jesse)
E Hihiwai - HMA27
E Ku'u Morning Dew
God Bless My Daddy
Ka Ipo Lei Manu
Kane'ohe - HMA110
Koali (Ko'ula? - HMA133)
Koke'e - HMA130
Lahainaluna
Meleana E - HMA172
Opihi Moemoe
Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua - HMA216

More added (from Keith Marzullo)
Papalina Lahiahi - HMA215
Puamana - HMA231
Wai O Ke Aniani - HMA270

More added (from Julie Hendriks)
Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha - HMA92
Kamalani O Keaukaha
Lei No Ka'iulani - HMA152
Pu'uanahulu - HMA
Pua Lilia - HMA225
Pua Tuberosa - HMA230

More added (from Auntie Nancy - Pua Kai)
Ku`u Home `o Kahalu`u
Moloka`i Sweet Home

(Total so far = 47)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 04/04/2006 08:06:54 AM

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Off the top of my head and from many Kanikapilas I would add:

Ophi Moemoe
Pauo'a Liko Kalehua
Morning Dew
E Hihiwai
Koke'e
Koali

Actually, the song book from George Kahumoku's workshop was put
together for this very reason and contains about 80 songs at this
point.

But better than memorizing lots of songs, in the case of Pa'ani's, is
to be familiar with the harmonic structure of the songs (chord
sequence). Lots of the songs have the same or similar chord
sequence and, armed with this knowledge, and a little practice, one
can cobble together a decent pa'ani to most things. That being said
I am one who is deficient in the practice category!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/30/2005 07:42:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think any list should have songs that are easy to strum and other songs easy to play in slack key. It seems like a lot of all-comers kanikapilas are mostly strumming ukes and guitars and group singing, rather than slack key guitar and instrumentals. Slack key guitar is not out of place with strumming ukes, but with strummers setting the pace, sometimes slack key guitars are only used to add tasty licks. And that affects the mix of songs people play at a jam.
I'm always surprised with what songs come up at a kanikapila when I sit down to play with a new circle. We're all products of what music we have heard, who our favorite performers are and our own skills. One Hawaiian friend always wants to strum "Hawaiian Superman," which is a reggae song originally recorded with synthesizers. Another likes to sing "Nobody's Child" by Kapena. Some of my Hawaiian acquaintances don't sing in Hawaiian language because it's too hard to learn/memorize.
That said, all the songs above are in the mix of good kanikapila songs. You could add:
Ka Ipo Lei Manu
Kaneohe
Good Bless My Daddy
Lahainaluna
Meleana E

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  09:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Mike, and good input Hapakid & Lawrence. The song list is fine.
For me, in any kanikapila that I'm in is when several people know the same song but play a entirely different version. This creates timing problems for me, or not knowing when to jump in or out of a song. I end up simply using a picking pattern over & over again on a common chord. I'm "participating" but am I truly playing????? What typically happens is everyone takes turns going around the group just playing 2-4 songs they know.
Don't get me wrong, its a good time, and I truly love it, but my skill level isn't like my peers.
But working/playing from a set playlist is a very good start, especially with the talented group of players we have in SoCal. I know I should learn Ulupalakua, and Solomia, and few others for starters. I wonder if the other "groups" up North and elsewhere have the same challenge?
This would be a good subject/thread to pursue, and interesting to know how they go about there kanikapila's or open mic's.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  1:27:00 PM  Show Profile
As Lawrence said in another thread - a kanikapila and an open mic are very different. At the open mic, people come to perform. They have tome to prepare the music beforehand. Others will not be joining in, unless the performer wants that to happen.
I think you really are talking about kanikapila type settings.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  3:40:18 PM  Show Profile
I think we can all be pretty good at an "Open Mike". Getting ready for one is not a social activity.

A good kanikapila can be a little more intimidating but doesn't have to be. With a little preparation and a few tools to keep the group on track, I think it can be alot more fun. I'd like to hear from the kanikapila kumu out there.

I like the song additions so far. But now the list is getting too long (unless you want the kanikapila to REALLY ANNOY your neighbors). What should we delete to keep it it the TOP 25?

quote:
. . . in the case of Pa'ani's, is to be familiar with the harmonic structure of the songs (chord sequence). Lots of the songs have the same or similar chord sequence and, armed with this knowledge, and a little practice, one can cobble together a decent pa'ani to most things.
Ahhh . . . here is the crux. What would be a good group of songs, say, in the Key of G, using the I-IV-V7 structure and the standard group of turnarounds, that we could all jam to?

quote:
Actually, the song book from George Kahumoku's workshop was put together for this very reason and contains about 80 songs at this
point.
Unfortunately only the lucky few have that workbook. Are those songs on the list? What would be the top 25? Or the best common grouping of 25?

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile
Another Source specifically created for Kanikapila is:

"He Mele Aloha - a Hawiian songbook"

(probably available from mele.com - we got ours from Sun Jose Hawaii)

which was boiled down from about 600 songs to the 300 songs printed
with chords and words and translation. This was put together by a
few folks including Kimo Hussey who also taught at George's workshop.
Even with 300 songs, I have been at kanikapila's where someone wanted
to play something relatively popular that was not in this book!

So good luck trying to narrow it down to just 25!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  07:12:04 AM  Show Profile
In my very limited life here I've found very differing kani ka pilas. Most of us have the "Mele" book - He Mele Aloha. It is available at CostCo in Hawai'i, and on-line. The book should be in everyone's library along with a lot more. It seems to be written for the Ukulele crowd, usable, good for words, but not a guide for slack key. Also, as mentioned, a lot of the songs we'd like to play and sing are not in the book. Frank Leong puts out a list of songs to work on before their group gets together. I think that's a terrific idea. Always a part of the kani ka pilas here is an exchange of ways to play songs: How do you do that? If there are very many ukuleles around, then slack key is lost. And another thing here: very few people like to play ki ho'alu and sing. (Keith, we need you!!!). I think you probably need to let the kani ka pila go in the direction of the participants and then guide it in different directions to be all-inclusive. For the beginning of our party Wed, having several songs picked out ahead would have improved things immensely. The nahenahe playing towards the end of several guitars was wonderful for me. And then, you probably all heard Nancy (Maggie's sister) belt out the high notes of Meleana e. Wow!!! (she was the first lead singer for Hiroshima).
Bottom line for me: probably don't need to limit to 25 songs - just prepare about a dozen ahead. Also, songs come in 3 categories: those for playing and singing with ukuleles, those for slack key playing together and maybe singing, those slack key we're working on and sharing. The ones that seem to be common here are from Ozzie's book, and some from John Keawe's DVD, with a generous sprinkling of our other favorite artists' works.
And then, how do we get Mika ele, Marzullo, etc together with the rest of us here in SoCal?
n
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey mike, that was a fun out on bruddah ken's porch, wasn't it?

let's do a maui-style kanikapila!! we can choose a set of songs - less than 25 to start - agree on the key and speed, pass out the words and chords - and start working among ourselves on some solos. here are some suggestions, based on how easy it might be to come up with some variations and to sing:

E Hihiwai
Hanalei Moon
Kaimana Hila
Laupahoehoe Hula
Lei Nani
My Yellow Ginger Lei
Papalina Ahiahi
Pauoa Ka Liko Ka Lehua
Puamana
Wai O Ke Aniani

there's some fast ones, some slow ones, some with barely three chords, some with five, some in hawaiian, some in english. what'd'ya think?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  7:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Sounds terrific to me! Whose back porch and when?
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  4:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Keith,
Yes it was. Different than an open mike or recital. I added your new songs to the list above with the He Mele Aloha reference pages (HME###). I like your short list and should have the chord sheets for all either in HME or from Frank Leong.

My back yard has a firepit and BBQ but not much room. But there is a nice park nearby - now that it is colder and rainy -- might not be the best plan. I don't have much room for more that a few people with guitars/ukuleles inside. There are a few Carlsbad city recreation rooms that I can book nearby as well. . . And there is always the beach.

Do you think a regular venue/date would work or just try to set up one and wing it from there?

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  7:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
mike,

sounds good. my job is taking me away next week and half of the week afterwards, but after that maybe we could choose a wednesday to get together and give it a whirl? my house is fine; just limited parking.

keith
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:38:20 AM  Show Profile
No mattah to me, I only sing instrumentals. It's great to just try to play tasteful backup and throw in a vamp. The guy that taught me said, "Keep your t'umb moving, play da right chord at da right time, an' no fo'get da vamp. People will t'ink you know how fo' play." Works.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  12:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Would anyone be interested in a CD project to record simple versions of each of the "top 25" songs that are in the public domain, then compiling a public domain CD to be passed around and copied freely so that there would be a single source to beginners to learn songs?
I would want the versions to be simple, middle of the road renditions so that we could represent the songs as universally as possible for beginning players. The recordings could also just be a verse or two so that a beginner could pick up the tune.
I have amassed a shelf full of CDs to learn songs, but I know not everyone can afford to do that. I can barely afford it.
There are some songs on the Mika'ele's list that I don't know, but I could contribute several songs to a project, as could others. Perhaps we could even put them up on a server for download.
Anyone interested?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Jesse I put together a sample "Kanikapila Guide Sheet (KGS)" for Wai O Ke Aniani that I would like you to review and give me suggestions. My intention was to create a format, gather information from public sources, and create song sheets similar to a "Lead Sheet" that would help beginner, intermediate, and advanced ki ho'alu players get together and kanikapila. Not all the details are in the KGS, but enough should be there to get the group started going in the same direction. For example, I didn't tab out a specific turnaround or parallel thirds/sixths, etc.
I will email you the sheet. One addition/correction I can think of to add would be the melody/chorus lines in tab on one string for those not familiar with the melody. Maybe we could have other Taro Patch members tackle a song on the list, use the format, and publish the KGS on TaroPatch with Andy's oversight (Andy, I will email you a KGS as well).

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a great idea. I would like to see what you've designed. I think every guitarist approaches a new song differently. First, they need a reason to learn it, either they hear it and like it, or they need to learn it to play with the group. Secondly, the guitarist uses various methods of figuring out how to playit, then how to sing it. Some guitarists want tab (clumsy for just learning to jam along), some only need to know the key and some need a list of chords, alongside the words, to help them feel comfortable.
As for me, I need to get the melody in my head before I feel like I can play a song. Hawaiian music is filled with vocal inflections and guitar embellishments that don't show up in a tab format. Even if we came up with a simple midi file to give the melody for a song, it doesn't help parse the Hawaiian language to the melody, which is the magic of Hawaiian music. At each step, I think a recording of the voice and uke or guitar would have the melody, the chord changes, the language usage and pronunciation and the overall feel of the song would come in handy. It would help if the recording was a little slower than normal and without too many embellishments, either vocal or instrumental.
I look forward to seeing the first "KGS".
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000