Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Top 50 Kanikapila Songs You Should Know
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  8:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,
I especially like that you added the stuff about language. That would surely make those"sheets" most valuable
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:08:18 AM  Show Profile
If anyone would like to review a sample Kanikapila Guide Sheet (KGS) and give me feedback, please send me an email. I will respond with a PDF file for "Wai O Ke Aniani" in the Key of G. I'm looking for help from those TaroPatchers that have been to at least one good kanikapila.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  11:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Mika'ele:

I would also like to see a sample of your KGS, since we have regular kanikapilas once a month! Thanks for doing this!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Mika ele:

I am curious to see the guide sheet. I have only been to a couple of kanikapilas so I don't know if I can help much but I'll try!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  08:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mika'ele,

Great job on that KGS! For those who haven't seen it yet and participate in kanikapilas, you should email Mike to view a sample. It's really comprehensive, especially if you have a good mixture of both uke and slack key players. Nice charts and great job, Mike! -Mags
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  9:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Yikes, gonna try put one Kanikapila on in Hayward Ca. See my thread "Kani at Nani's Donut Shoppe". Let me close by saying this to all who have experienced a good kani, HHHHEEEELLLPPPP @ #$ @ % @ &, just kidding, but I am all eyes and ears for any suggestions -- Sil
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  06:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Mika'ele,

Nice job on the guide sheet. I especially like the fact you used Nashville Numbering on one part of the sheet. My main problem is that I don't know a lot of songs by name. Never was good at remembering names/lyrics. Only the music. But I gave a list of the songs to my brother and he's going to make a compilation CD for me to work from. I hope to be able to particapate with everyone next time around.

BTW, I tend to hang out at Borders Books in El Cajon on Thursday nights. Wood-n-Lips host an open mic every Thursday with many styles of music. It's an acoustic open mic, but most guitars are plugged in. Everything from folk, poetry, Chet Atkins style, blues and one slack key set. I'm trying to so another set tomorrow. Never heard slack key in the South County open mic except for my one set. I think they liked it.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm. Ralph, you should talk Chunky Monkey into going with you. He lives in Tierrasanta and complains that Oceanside is too far to go. He has some really nice original songs -- ask him to play the one in a minor tuning -- nahenahe.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  3:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kudos to Mike for the song sheet, well researched and laid out. I would probably move the words/chord section to the first page, though, since this is the most commonly used method of sharing songs, followed by the Nashville numbering system and song chord structure, then chord diagrams, then the song info and list of recordings last. That way you could print out the pages and stack them in your binder, but only see what is most commonly used.
I still want to try and produce song snippets to share the melody of the song and I'll post one of "Wai Hu'i O Ke Aniani" soon for people to hear.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Just a general question about the chosen key of songs. Do you usually play the songs in the key of the "He Mele Aloha" book, or do the keys get changed often by the vocalists? I can handle odd keys in standard tuning on guitar, but things change with slack tunings. Do I need to work out all the other slack key chords (with or without capo) at this time? I notice that "F" seems to be a popular uke key. I figure that slack key songs are probably in the key of the books they are taken from, especially if there is no singing involved.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Sounds strangely like Slack Tracks which has 12 of the songs on your list with tab and fast and normal /slow versions of the songs to learn how to play them.

Andy used Slack Tracks Ulupalakua as backing for his submission on the Recent Tarpo Patch cd. You can play these songs and sound very professional. We had plans to build a library of songs for people, but I guess what it really comes down to is $20.00.

The difference you will find in learning songs the way you propose is that most will learn on their own. You will find that when you try and play with others your timing will not be in synch. (Ask Andy or Reid or Sarah about that)

Slack Tracks provides the consistancy and the EXPERIENCE in playing with others before you really go out and do it.

Here are some comments posted on Taro Patch

If you do not have much opportunity to play with other people, slack track offers a creative way to add variety to your practicing and add some songs to your repertoire at the same time.

As one of those people who don't have much of an opportunity to jam with others Slack Tracks is a really clever way of learning how to do it. The musicians on the CDs never mind if you mess up, they don't get bored if you go over and over the same thing, they tolerate crazy fills and experimental backups, they play at the speed you are currently comfortable with. Most importantly, they play the songs you know, because Slack Tracks supplies the tabs of exactly what the lead should be - and those tabs are just about the most elegant I have ever seen (they have timing notation and they even have the kind of ties between notes that you see in Standard Notation). And, they even back you up and try to make you sound good.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
RE Ralph's question about song keys: In most of the Hawaiian music world, ukes dominate most kanikapila sessions, so the obvious keys for them are A, C, D, F and G. F works with many vocal ranges in group singing. G is the most common slack tuning. So I think that means that slackers have to be flexible to play different keys in whatever tuning they're in. If I'm sitting in a jam session, the ukers usually don't wait to see if I like the tuning or not, it's just flip the page in the book and "He mele kakou!" (Sing!). I think "He Mele Aloha" compilers chose keys that many people sing in, but I often have to change that to match my range.
Hawaiian music has so many different styles, trying to standardize a list for everyone to learn is nearly impossible. Of all the different types and styles--songs from chants (ancient and recent), songs styled after hymns, songs from early monarchy and late monarchy periods, songs that came before musical instruments, songs that are written in passings styles (ragtime, swing, 1890s, rock), songs written with slack key, songs written with Hawaiian piano, songs translated from other languages, for instance--anything might pop up in a jam session and you have to go with the flow.
That's the fun of a song circle. Who knows what you might learn if you're ready to try anything?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  8:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I have to respond to this kani kapila discussion. It has been my experience that when the big "dogs" show up with the big guitars, the little ukes take the back seat, so to speak. Funny that some of you have a completely different outlook on this. So how do we mesh it all together?

I think all the instruments, even the occasional violin and washtub bass, add multiple dimensions to the playing and the togetherness. The beauty of the diversity is complex and so entertaining. Is it that the slightly differing results of the ukulele strums and the voices versus the sweet, delicate fingerwork of the guitar are incompatible? Yet when you hear the wonderful trios and groups that are able to meld the music into one cohesive whole, you don't discern one or the other instrument taking over the whole song.

So what makes these combinations work? Maybe what we should practice at these kani kapilas is the integration of the instruments and the individual styles. It seems to me that if we pick a song and go over it several times, that we would be able to iron out the kinks so that everyone is happy and the learning experience will be fun. Or is this too simplistic?

In picking my favorite songs for February's Aloha Music Camp play-alongs, I've tried to chose lots of tunes in the key of G because I think a lot of the folks there might be in TaroPatch tuning. I'm hoping that we can come up with some songs where everyone can join in and have fun. Then, of course, I'll have some favorite hula songs, because it becomes really special when a beautiful lady gets up and tells the story with her hands! Or a handsome man!!!!!

My 2 cents worth... Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Well . .
I'd love to be in a kanikapila with slack key guitars, ukuleles, basses, washboards, single string washtub basses, nose flutes, ipu and ipu heke, violin/fiddle, and on and on. Also would love some altos, sopranos, falsettos, baritones, etc.

I was trying to come up with a list of songs that you would most likely run across at a back porch kanikapila in Hawaii, prepare guide sheets for those songs, and publish the Kanikapila Guide Sheets (KGSs) here so our members can create new ones for songs they know, download and print KGSs for songs they don't know, and have something on paper in front of each musician/singer/bystander so they can prepare ahead of time and not get as lost when they are at a kanikapila.

Here is the format so far:
It is four back-to-back pages so you can fold the middle out on a music stand
Cover Page - Lists the song title, the author for words and music, a reference to what page in He Mele Aloha you can find the song (if available), the SOLFEGE for the melody, some notes about the song's history and background, and a list of artists and albums where the song is played (if you don't know the melody)
Main Left page - Key and Time signature, song structure with measures and chords for any key (eg I, IV, V7), suggested kika kiho'alu tuning and chord pictures, ukulele chord pictures, performance notes about how the song is played
Main Right Page - the words to the song in Hawaiian and English with chord letters above the words and measure lines (a standard chord sheet) with vamps, turnarounds, verses, hui, and song notes inserted
Back Page - Additional Verses if you want to keep playing and have the structure down and want more excuses to keep playing

I am using Microsoft Word to create the files then convert them to Adobe Acrobat PDF files so just about anyone can print them.

Anyone know if this would violate any copyright laws to publish on TaroPatch?

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:20:07 AM  Show Profile
So I don't know a lot of melodies to the songs. I recently borrowed a bunch of CD's and downloaded songs that were in HMA songbook. Artists downloaded include Teresa Bright, Raiatea Helm, Iz, K. Reichel, Hui 'Ohana. It's interesting to hear their arrangements. Lots of repeats of first verse in some cases. But mainly you get the melody. And then the fun begins 'cause they may be in different keys from the songbook, but at least you have a start with the chords.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000