Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Top 50 Kanikapila Songs You Should Know
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Genaro, I have the same problem when it comes to remembering the names of songs and then trying to recall how their melodies sound. I recently discovered this website that lists all of the songs in the "He Mele Aloha" songbook and it contains sample sound clips of the songs. Not all of the songs have associated sound clips yet but more and more are being added all the time. Take a look and a listen...

http://mele.home.att.net/list_HeMele_Options.htm

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  12:04:31 PM  Show Profile
That is related to the most common suggestion for the KGS.
quote:
I can't remember melodies very well. If I have the tab for the melody line, then I remember it. Having the words and chords gets me in the right key but without someone already familiar with the song, sometimes I flounder.

I have added the results from a search on mele.com to the front page of the KGS to list CDs, musicians, and dates where you can hear the song performed as a help.

One suggestion has been to add a tab line of the melody notes and chorus notes -- that is lots of work unless you have the sheet music for the song.

If a song is in He Mele Aloha, sometimes the SOLFEGE ( the do-re-mi) of the melody has been written out by Robert Mondoy at http://mele.home.att.net/

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I have trouble recognizing some songs, but I find that if I go straight to the hui I often remember the verse. Quite often it is the hui that catches people's interest. My 2 pennies worth...
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  3:30:41 PM  Show Profile
The KGSs and format guide are now posted in Taro Patch under links.
Here is a quick link:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/links.asp?action=showsubcat&id=10

Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  4:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Someone please help!! I can't get the links on the mele.home site to show up so I can click on them. All I get are those little white squares with the tiny blue square and green circle inside showing where the link should be. It's not a problem with the player which works fine on everything else - even the midi files on the King's Book links. It's just that the links on the other pages on the site don't show up so that the mouse arrow turns into a hand so they can be clicked on. Any ideas from a computer whiz out there? It would be VERY much appreciated.

Mahalo,

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  11:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mark,
Do you have a mac?
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Aloha Nancy -

No, it's a Compaq with a quite highspeed connection.

Be well,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha -
I'm not getting it either, that's why I asked. Ahh well, my expert is coming for dinner tonight.
Hope all is well with you and yours,
n
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  12:34:08 PM  Show Profile
I just sent another file to Andy for posting in the KGS links. The new song file is the Sugar Cane Train Song, "Ka'a Ahi Kahului".

I know it wasn't on the top 25 list. But after I heard Keith Marzullo play it at a kanikapila, I decided I had to get the chords for this one. As quoted in Dancing Cat:
quote:
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the steam locomotive found its way into countless musical cultures throughout the world. Musicians integrated its distinctive rhythms into their playing, singers and harmonica players imitated its many sounds, composers celebrated its remarkable capacity to link distant communities or conjure up adventure. July 29, 1879, marked the arrival of passenger train service to Hawai'i, when the Kahului Railroad Company of Maui began running from Kahului to Wailuku.

Because King David Kaläkaua encouraged railroad construction in Hawai'i, Kaläkaua-era enthusiast Palani Vaughan wrote this song in the early 1970s. The second verse honors King Kaläkaua and the chorus contains the onomatopoeic phrase, "chuku chuku" to simulate the sound of the engine. The rhythm recreates the steady beat of a train as it runs across the rails kuehu aku ma ke alahao (stirring up dust along the track). "I kind of muffle the string with my right hand to create the train sound," Led says. Led Ka’apana plays in Standard tuning (E-A-D-G-B-D) and arranged in the keys of F and C.

This KGS is in Taro Patch G tuning for kika and the key of G Major. Mahalo Nui Loa to Marzullo for his help. If you want to know how to play the pa'ani - hee is the man to beg, not me . HAVE FUN!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  7:37:42 PM  Show Profile
So did anyone finally come up with a list of the top 150 songs to know for kani ka pilas?
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  06:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Only 150??
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  07:33:42 AM  Show Profile
A come on now. I'm limiting it to 50. We can take five more songs. Geeev'um!

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile
I didn't see Ku`u Home `o Kahalu`u. I love Moloka`i Sweet Home too. Anyone want to start playing and singing 'Ikaika's Kalo Man? He does it with the ukulele, but it's easy on the guitar. I play it in C -- taropatch G capo-ed up to C, not drop C.

Edited by - Pua Kai on 04/04/2006 07:58:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000