Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Slack Key on Maui
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slackhead
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  6:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slackhead's Homepage
Aloha All!

There is one place in Hawaii where you can always find slack key music. Here is the schedule for the Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Concert Series for the first two months of 2006:

January 4 - Dennis Kamakahi
January 11 - John Keawe
January 18 - Makana
January 25 - Cyril Pahinui
February 1 - Bobby Ingano (Hawaiian Steel Guitar)
February 8 - Cyril Pahinui
February 15 - Martin Pahinui
February 22 - Led Kaapana

The shows, hosted by George Kahumoku Jr, are held each Wednesday evening in the theater at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua on Maui. More information is available at www.slackkey.com.

Slackhead

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hey Slackhead,

Thanks for dropping in. Congrats on the grammy nomination and anniversary of the Masters series.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  8:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha MR. Slackhead,

So good to see you are hanging around this site! I have longingly looked at the schedule and need to find a way to spend months on Maui. Have any leads for jobs?

Awannabekama'aina, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  06:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Paul!!
It was good to meet you yesterday at Dietz Brothers - hope you drop in in-person again when you're up here!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  10:45:11 AM  Show Profile
In addition to the Slack Key Guitar Masters series, the Kahumoku's are launching a whole new concert series next month. Here's part of what Nancy emailed me (dates & details to be announced):

"We are starting a new series on Maui at the Maui Myth & Magic Theater on
Monday nights. So far we will be booking Richard Hoopi`i, Lei`ohu Ryder,
the Hula Honeys, and Kevin Brown's band (featured artists, different
shows). We are waiting to hear back from others.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
They have been working really hard on the new show here on Maui, my mom has been working with Uncle George and Nancy day and night on it!
It sounds like its going to be a great new type of show different from your usual luau (no food) or concert... Sort of a mixture of History, music, dance and of course talent from around the islands! Don't miss out if you are on Maui !Its going to be at the "ULALENA" Theater right next to da Lahaina Post office. (make sure you visit Nagasako variety market too!) Sounds like the first show will be around the end of this month Jan 30th... I will unfortunately be back in Santa Cruz. Home away from home.

Auntie Maria, Sorry I never made it to Kaua'i... Got small kine sick in the beggining of my trip to maui and then had Christmas and New Years so ran out of time...I will see you again in months to come. Got some Maui kine tings possibly in da works!

As far as the Slack Key Masters Series, if you are on Maui, "DO NOT" miss out on this, its every Wednesday evening begginging at 6pm.
Its a fun concert series at the Ritz in Kapalua. Its a ways out there so plan to get some dinner earlier in Lahaina area or up in Kahana area. There is a Maui Taco's and a favorite Rotisserie kine plate lunch shop of Uncle George's on the way in the Napili shopping center.

We just saw Led Kaapana play two weeks ago. It was great! I missed Uncle Dennis last week and Mr. John Keawe is playing this Wednesday the 11th!
I can't wait! Living here is like a kid in a candy store, having all these guys play every week! We usually have to wait once a year on the Mainland! Mahalo Slackhead for posting all the info! And especially for all your pa'a kiki hana putting togethor the Masters series! Its just what Maui needed! Good luck!

a hui hou,
Timmy
www.alohaislandgrille.com

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 01/09/2006 5:40:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Francie
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  2:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

My husband (Jim Dietz, brother of John)and I will be at the Ritz 8:30 concert on the 18th of Jan. Are there any other places on Maui to hear some slack key that week? We'll be there from the 15th through the 23rd.
John said we should introduce ourselves to you, so "hi", hope to see you.

Francie

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  06:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Maria and/or Tim,

Is there any indication that they will be ready to have a show by Mon., Feb. 13? (Tim, you said that they were shooting for a Jan. 30 start. Any update on that?)

Several of us will be just back from AMC then (the 13th), and it would be neat if we could attend.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  07:21:11 AM  Show Profile
You can email Nancy for info, via their website: www.kahumoku.com
Go to the "media" section of the site.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Reid,
like Auntie Maria said, go to their website and they should have the definate info. They said they are looking to start da show by the end of the month so the show should be going by Feb. 13th! If you haven't been to Ulalena at the same theater "GO SEE IT!" My Ohana went to see it last night and it was "UNREAL!" What a masterpiece of Myth,Story, Live music and pure excitment! Truly mesmerizing! Forget da luau... Go see Ulalena! And Uncle Georges show(s)

And don't forget to go the RITZ CARLTON, for the MASTERS OF SLACK KEY while here too!!!
a hui hou,
Timmy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  09:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, folks. I actually looked at George's site today, but not carefully.

Sarah and I saw Ulalena years ago and still remember it. We will remember it even better after AMC, becauase Kapono`ai Molitau will be our kumu. And, Martin at the Ritz is on the schedule.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  11:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Reid,
So you know how unbelievable that show is... I still am just blown away! My mom said that the first "dry run" will be on the 30th. But will probably just be families,friends kine... But she said the actual first show that will be promoted will be on February 13th! So if it all works out that's the schedule so far... If you can't get the info from Uncle George's site, just email me and I will call home and get da info! Grammy's coming up so make sure to cast your vote too!!!! GO SLACK KEY MASTERS COMPILATION!!!!!!!! Good luck to Paul Konwiser, Uncle George and all the other guys on the album and who worked on the album!

Aloha,
Timmy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  04:35:39 AM  Show Profile
I sent Nancy an email and got a welcome answer back (I don't think she would mind me quoting her:

"Feb 13 will actually be the first show and feature George Kahumoku and Richard Hoopii (Jan 30 is a rehearsal and Feb 6 we are at the Grammies) The new show will be in Lahaina at the Maui Myth and Magic Theater (Ulalena is there the rest of the week).
It should be listed on George's web site sometime soon. We will also have a web site set up for the new show. It is called
Aha Mele: Island Song, Dance, and Stories."

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  07:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Tim and Maria for the heads up and to Reid and Nancy for the info. This will be a "must see" (hear) event...a premiere, no less!

‘Ulalena is a spectacular production -- I recommend it to anyone heading to Maui. They also have a website http://www.ulalena.com/ for a taste of the music and visual delights.

And I'm thrilled the the AMC's kumu oli this year is one of the cast members in the show, as well as Moana's kumu hula. Promises to be a great workshop.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Slackhead
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Slackhead's Homepage
Hi Francie,

There isn't much else on Maui (sad, isn't it?) That's why George and I started up the slack key show at the Ritz. Sometimes Kevin Brown leads a group of slack key players at a church in Waiehu. I think it's usually on Saturday. It's not a performance, really, just a bunch of guys who like to play slack key getting together. It's very friendly, informal and local. Give Kevin a call at 808-298-3373. Sometimes Uncle Sol plays slack key at the Bailey House Museum in Wailuku. You could give them a call. On Thursday Bruddah Poki will be doing his monthly picnic on the lawn under the monkey pod tree in Wailuku. This is a fun event with lots of wonderful Hawaiian music, although not normally slack key. Highly recommended, a true Hawaiian experience. The web site is http://www.am900knui.com/. Also, have a look at http://www.mauinews.com/ and click on Maui Scene. You may locate something you like.

I am still on the mainland for a couple of weeks, so I won't be there on the 18th. Makana will be doing his third show for us and I know you'll love it. He's a very talented young man.

Have fun!

Paul

Slackhead
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Paul -- didn't know about Poki's Thursdays. Maybe we can catch one.

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000