Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha Hale O Ho'oponopono
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Can anyone direct me to the lyrics of "Aloha Hale O Ho'oponopono" by Sonny Chillingworth? I've searched the usual sources but can't find it. It is on his Dancing Cat CD "Endlessly" but the lyrics are not included, although the authors Diana Aki and Elias Kuamo'o are identified. It is featured on the wonderful video of Rell Sunn, "Heart of the Sea." I have shown the video in some of my classes and my students have asked me about it but I do not hear Hawaiian well enough to answer their questions about what the lyrics actually mean.
Mahalo,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile
From Ray Sowders' Kukuna Mehana CD:

I ke kai, i, ke kai
Pa'ani i ke kai
Piha, me na i'a

I ke kai, i ke kai
Hau'oli i ke kai
Holo he'e nalu, i ke kahakai

Ka la, ka la
Wela i ka la
Pumehana kino, i ku'u poli

Ma uka, i uka
Ho'ala i nahele
Wili i ka maile, o ke kuahiwi

Keiki o ka 'aina, aloha i ka pono
E ho'olohe mai, e ho'olohe mai

Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana
Aloha Hale o Ho'oponopono
Aloha Hale o Ho'oponopono

In the sea, in the sea
Playing in the sea
Filled with fishes

In the sea, in the sea
Happy in the sea
Riding the surf to shore

In the sun, in the sun
Hot is the sun
Warms the body and the bosom

Up, up the mountains
In the scented forest
Twisting the maile, of the wilds

Child of the land, love righteously
And listen, listen

Tell the story of the love
For Hale o Ho'oponopono
For Hale o Ho'oponopono
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Ah, perfect, Debbie. It really makes more sense now.
Mahalo nui for your kokua,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Sandy!
Welcome home. Ray has 2 CDs out and I think you'd really enjoy them both. He has a song called Kilakila o Hana that I hope to learn one of these days. You can contact him here in the 'Patch.
n
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
This is a great song and here is the information from Uncle George about it:
This Mele was composed by the staff of Hale O Ho'oponopono, at a dinner meeting at the home of Diana Aki at Kealakekua Mauka, Hawai'i Moku. Hale O Ho'oponono was an alternative school for disenfranchised Hawaiian children. 1982.

Other staff included Uncle George Kahumoku Jr, Fidelis Aki, Mari Jean Colto Puna Kihoi, Harvey Low, Earl Regidor, Ellen Regidor.

It took me a long time to find these lyrics and I had to work in Uncle George's Taro patch for many hours to get them... Enjoy
Timmy
www.alohaislandgrille.com

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  9:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Timmy,

Tell you what! Uncle George's taropatch/garden/farm is a black hole. You go in dere you no come out. Unless you're really lucky.
That from someone who got suckered into planting the ti plants around the house in a pouring down rain while everyone else was having fun on a beach somewhere!

Of course, I did learn a lot that day. Like do not plant under the eaves in the rain because suddenly you get a great big dumping of water down from the roof into your shirt collar. Aaarrghh!!!

(Hi George! )

Julie
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
That's really funny Julie... Seriously made me laugh! Uncle George knows when you are really interested and if he does then "ALOHA"... Your in da patch! Good times and yes there is a lot to be learned from this man. When he invites you into his home, he's really inviting you into his heart and Ohana.

Maybe someday we can all go up and help him out... I know he needs somebody to help mow the grass (and there is a lot of it!) amongst all the other stuff! I enjoyed the learning experience and getting to spend time with such a great Ohana!

Eh Julie, I haven't seen you down our way in a while... (since Eddie Kamae came). Bring down your husband and come see Vern guys (thur) Steven Inglis (fri now but soon to be sat). I am also interested in putting togethor an open mic here in SC at our place. Probably in the early part of the week? Let's talk if your interested!

a hui hou!
Timmy
www.alohaislandgrille.com
Go to Top of Page

sirqitous
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  2:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit sirqitous's Homepage  Send sirqitous an AOL message
Mahalo Debbie and Timmy for the lyrics/translation of that beautiful song. I've been wanting to add it to my repertoire for quite some time. You've given a precious gift by sharing that with us.

Eric

http://myspace.com/sirqitous
http://youtube.com/sirqitous

Edited by - sirqitous on 02/20/2006 2:17:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000