Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Low Key Kanikapila in Issaquah
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  3:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I'm interested in getting with (hosting or joining) other uke (and guitar too) players to get together, have fun and learn new songs - just like we used to do in Hawaii. I'm an intermidiate player and am not wanting to belong to an overly serious group - too much pressure. I'm mostly interested in a social and relaxed atmosphere. I don't think the concept of Kanikapila includes pressure to learn certain songs in certain keys etc..... my opinion anyway - whatever thats worth.

Pls post or email me if you are interested in getting together.

Mahalo.

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  08:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Hilinai! There is already a pretty low key group that meets monthly at a member's home in Bellevue. Although I cannot speak for Jean (member name neeej), knowing her, I'm positive you'd be welcome. Check the thread titled "Seattle-area experiment" in the Kanikapila Forum section, or better yet, here's the link: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3041

They just had a meeting this past Saturday so the next one won't be until next month. I did not attend because I went to the Led Ka'apana workshop in Fife and then to a birthday party for my grandson. Of course if you do have one at your place, I'd try to make it! Look forward to meeting you some time.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/16/2006 08:51:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha, Hilinai --- there's also a monthly gathering of uke players (all styles, all skill levels) generally on the first Sunday afternoon of each month, called SUPA (Seattle `Ukulele Players Association.) We have a large songbook that we choose songs from, and players contribute new songs every month - everything ranging from Hawaiian to pop songs of the last fifty years. It's a very social group, with about fifty to seventy people attending each month.
More details are at the website: www.seattleukulele.org
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  10:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to da patch! Another opportunity is get on the mailing list of Hawai'i General Store. They send out quarterly events calendars to help keep us up to date on the local concerts and festivals. I know of a ho'olauleia on April 1st and Chief Leschi HS in Puyallup put on by Tacoma's 50th State Club.
Go to Top of Page

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Again,

Mahalo for getting back so quick - its exciting to see soooooo much activity with Hawaiian music. I went back to HI this year after 10 years of not visiting and spent lots of time getting with my ohana to play music - I forgot how much fun that was. I would like to try with you guys and see if I can fit in - I havent played for years but have a renewed interest and have been playing again for a couple months now, below is a little background.

I would also like to host at my place sometime too. I make a mean Poki and my wife learned how to cook kalua pig, Chicken long rice, and coconut milk and squid luau (actually he'e, she likes chicken mo bettah)from my dad years ago.

A little about myself - I grew up in Papakolea and in my teens (70s)played in a group ironically named Taro Patch. My brother Holo Stender (Oz Stender, ex-Bishop Estate Trustee is my uncle), played the uke and was the lead vocal, he has an unreal voice. My nephew, Keao Costa (my sister's son - also has an unreal voice) is in the new group Na Palapalai and occasionally plays with the Brothers Cazimero. He played at their last concert here in Seattle a month ago. Palapalai won a Hoku Award last year. Dean Lum (not Oshiro - he was the other dean that played with FD), who played for Frank Delima's group after playing with us, played the bass, steel guitar and mandolin. Guy Sales, a crazy Chinese/Hawaiian guy from Kaka'ako played straight guitar, his dad owned the old chinese general store behind the bank on Ward Ave across from the old Gem's Store. And Puni Kai played taro patch style slack key and had a unique style of singing, sort of gutteral "Gabby" like quality - chicken skin. We played concerts, bars and luau's mostly and our only claim to fame was that we played on KCCN a couple times and used to hear the recordings replayed years later. Not sure what they did with them since. My brother is now a prominent Kumu Hula and the Principal at the Kamehameha Elementary School and I work at the Boeing Co.

Hope that gives you an idea of my back ground - I will try to make the next gathering.

Aloha Nui!!!

Edited by - Hilinai on 01/21/2006 09:56:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello Hilinai, I read your bio and did some flashbacking. I did spend a lot of time jamming at my friend's house on Iaukea street in my teens in the 70's and the weekend kanikapilas were packed. Our paths must have crossed sometime in the past. Did you also play with a guitarist named Kaui and his brother Keau? I do know Guy Sales (he use to play with Moe Keale?)we went to Roosevelt high together.
Go to Top of Page

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  1:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Holly Moses - this is sooooo cool - yes we jammed with all those guys every weekend back then. i was a lot younger then them, their all at least 5 yrs older than me (I was the little brahda) and they used to have to sneak me in the back door of the bars we played at. So they might not remember me.

Guy was a very close family friend and actually lived with my family for a while. That's how it is in hawaii, we all share. fyi, Guy died long time ago, I think he had a stroke like so many talented Hawaiian entertainers, the life style the food, the drink, etc... its enough to kill anybody if you're not carefull. Anyway we all had a blast - oh how fun to think about the old days.

thanks for answering my post.

Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  1:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Also -
you might know my sister Kalani (Jewel) Stender and my brother John Delos Reyes (he's hanai thats why the different last name), they both went to Roosevelt High same time frame. Guy lived with us when he was going there. We lived on Anianiku Street right across from Lincoln Elementary School.

By the way my haole name is Al as in Albert - I'm named after my Danish grandpa.

Alohas again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000