Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Feb South Bay Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jerry, I'm in total agreement with what Dave (`Ilio Nui) and Raymond (RJS) said about your playing. Although I've only heard you play at the open mike about 4 times now I've also seen and heard you play at the recent Kani @ Nani's. Also, I believe the "sandbagger" you're referring to and who Dave initially made mention of is, RobO. Again, I have to agree with both of you because judging from what I heard him play, it's difficult for me to believe that this was his first perfomance at open mike. The "Carmel Valley" newbie (by way of Wai`anae), Rod (RodV18), is quite an accomplished musician in his own right although this was his first attempt at slack key. Raymond, mahalo plenty for the kind words about my bass playing but I feel that I'm only as good as the wonderful musicians that I'm backing as their playing and singing always inspires me. And although I'm strictly a bassist (can't play guitar or uke), I keep coming back to open mike, not to perform, but in anticipation of seeing my newfound friends and hearing their wonderful musical renditions.

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  06:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow....such kind words from the ohana. And yes, I did ask Dave if I could go before him. I've heard him many times and thought everyone would rather end on a higher note (no pun intended). I hope that as I continue to perform in front of people, my skills will start to show through instead of my nerves. It's frustrating how I can play these songs at home straight through without even having to think about it, but put me in front and I'm all thumbs. The house was full too...it was a good time, although a little intimidating for an "open mic virgin". I took a private lesson with Uncle D on Thursday night, and what we came up with is for me to get out of my head. I'm thinking too much, I need to trust that I know what I'm playing and don't over-think it...in fact, try not to think at all...just feel it and listen to the guitar (or as Ledward would say..."Jus press"). Also, as I get more nervous, I play faster...gotta focus on that too. Again, I appreciated the feedback and advice, and owe it to myself (and more importantly, to those who have to listen to me) to just relax. I hope to do better next time. If at first you don't succeed......

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Ditto ditto ditto! With all my computer woes, its great to be able to finally sneak online and say Mahalo to everyone who continues to show up, participate and support. I really enjoy listening to Mr Kam with his exquisite strumming techniques along with his great singing ability. His son Robert plays nice back up slack key with an occasional sweet pa'ani. Their comedic timing gels nicely and they are just simply entertaining to watch. Raymond never ceases to use his creativity to engage us with different performances. His last performance was truly a heartfelt storyline interspersed with slack key melodies as he talked about King David Kalakaua's travels. Truly engaging! Jerry travels about two hours one-way every month and is clearly becoming more and more comfortable on stage. Great to see you "pressin" especially with challenging songs. Loved your Napili Chimes. Talk about challenging! I am always impressed with Doug "PearlCityBoy" Wongs preparation of his set, always selecting different and challenging pieces to play. He varies his approaches to his sets sometimes singing sometimes soloing and sometimes both and never seems to play without some sort of theme to drive his set selection. A good study in preparation followed by clean and crisp executions. RodV18, new to the Espresso Stage and Slack key playing really showed his stage experience when his slight nervousness was quickly extinguished by his humor and audience rapport only to settle in and find his groove. Great music thereafter along with tantalizing dancing by Ashley. It was a great recovery to watch and Ive never seen anyone play "Chopsticks" on a guitar! I've known for about three months that RobO could play well. He's been running and avoiding the open mic for a couple of months now, but that doesn't matter anymore. The word is out! That boy can Play! It was great to see him overcome his internal demons and let the world hear the talent he possesses. I think I speak for everyone that was there in saying that it's a crime to keep that kind of talent from human ears. Thanks for your courage for without it we would still be in the dark. Ilio Nui is our regular closer, always playing many of his favorite originals with beautifully constructed chords that match his great singing voice. What well written songs! Hope that CD arrives soon!!!. Thanks Ray and Espresso Gardens for another fun night of music and ohana. To me it's not only a great night of music with good friends but it also is a great learning experience each and every time. Well that's my portagee review. I'm out of breath and now I have to run! The neighbors just pulled in to their driveway, and I'm on their computer. What?!!? What else am I to do. Best Buy service stinks!!!! Still haven't got my computer back after taking it in for service one month ago!!!

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 02/13/2006 10:09:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  05:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here is a photo submitted by Pulelehua.

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Just in case some of you might be wondering who's who:
Back l-r): Art (ArtSap), Rob (RobO), Jerry (Jlsulle), Dave (`Ilio Nui), Doug (PearlCityBoy), Lawrence (Lawrence)
Front (l-r): Rod (RodV18), Robert (the Kams), Raymond (RJS), Joe (of Na La`au Ki`eki`e) and Steve (Kiwini)

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000