Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Waihe'e Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,
We had a wonderful gathering at Waihe'e last Saturday....lots of good friends, plenty of sweet music, and some ono grinds. Here's some of the photos we took....cameras were busy that day, so hopefully there will be some others shared, too.
http://homepage.mac.com/kittndave/PhotoAlbum5.html
Aloha, >^..^<

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow. What a crowd. I see Keith and Sarah made it. . . .should signed up for camp too . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Great Pix Popoki! That was quite a day. Great to see some 'Patchers there. Nice mini-reunion of a few folks from the first AMC in '01!

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I love looking and matching names? to people to music. Thanks for sharing. Almost made a visit to Maui myself last week but a friend and natural guitarist, Kowee Low, passed away on Kauai last week. May he rest in peace. Aloha all.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the pix. Sheila and I are extremely unhappy not to have been there and to have to miss Aloha Camp.

We recognize Keith & Susie, Julie & Larry, Debbie, Ed, Kevin, Dan (?), Mark, Sarah & Reed ; but need captions for the others.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Thanks for the wonderful pix Popoki! Wished I could've been there too. Looked like you were all having lots of fun and making great music (what else is there?). Hope you are all having fun at camp too. Maybe that's why I've been cranky (ha!).

Aloha,
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Popoki!

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. Lots and lots of familiar faces. I almost felt like I was there... well, was longing to be there. Aloha to the Maui 'patchers and visitors!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Eh!
Howzit! Kevin...Jerry...and every body...Miss U Guys. Keep jamming.
Aloha, Donald

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile
I have been to a lot of kanikapila and jams in the last decade, both on the Islands and on the mainland. This one, and the one two weeks later, was different. At most jams, people play as well as they can, and sometimes very good indeed, but the overall result is usually ragged. This group sounded like a band with everyone in sync; the ideal. Now, I contributed only a few `ukulele strums and single string lines, so it had nothing to do with me. There were three reasons. First, several of the players were, in fact, part of a band. Second, there were several professional musicians there. Third, the amateurs who were there were both talented and much more experienced than in the past. It was quite an experience just to be there.

Sarah, Kitty, David, and I got there about 11 in the morning, and the music and fun and food continued until about 6 p.m. Since some of you asked for identification of the people in the pictures that Kitty took, I will identify each and say a few words about them. The first picture on the top left is of Debbie (Islandboo) and Kitty (Popoki), who were both entertained and entertaining. In the next picture to the right, Sarah is talking with Geri Valdriz, a fantastic steel guitar player and a person who can play anything with strings. Geri, and his style, reminds me a lot of Greg Sardinha who Sarah and I heard play a lot at Duke's in Waikiki. Geri can solo, Geri can back people up, Geri can supply fills, Geri can harmonize with the singer, Geri can improvise, and in the typical Hawaiian way, the only thing he knows about a song before it starts is what key it will be in. Of course, like all Island locals we know, Geri can sing beautifully too. Third picture on the right is of Debbie, Kitty and Suzie. In the next row, the guy with a funny expression on his face is Mark Nelson, who has just been told something that must have been very affecting by Keith Marzullo. The middle picture shows everyone enjoying the heck out of what Geri is doing with his frying pan. The picture on the right is of Duke, the Duke of Hana, playing his heart out, while Sheldon Brown picks up a storm on my ukulele -- the best that little box has ever been played. Duke is now a pro also; people pay Duke to make music for them. In the next row of pictures, the one on the left shows Kevin playing the archtop he inherited. The middle picture again shows Sheldon playing the ukulele with his standup bass neck resting on his shoulder. Sheldon is my ukulele idol. Sheldon plays the ukulele in all of the ways that people play guitars. He bends strings so that the ukulele often sounds like a steel guitar; he pops chimes; he finger picks almost everything, but can strum in any way he wants anytime he wants; he hammers, he pulls off, he slides. Moreover, he makes me feel better, because he tunes the ukulele in the same way I do: to open C rather than C6, and he mixes up any size string he wants, any place he wants, so that it sounds good. The next picture to the right shows Keith watching Geri do his thing. Note that Geri uses a bullet slide, and he rotates it and moves it in ways that I was told is fast becoming a lost art. He also damps the strings with his little finger behind the bullet, and sometimes he will hook his right index finger under the first string to damp it completely so that it doesn't sound when he is sliding. The first picture in the next row is of Julie bracketed by Keith and Duke. Julie has become a whiz at chalangalang ukulele. She seems to know every song ever written, and can sing them all. And next, she is dancing a hula directly at her husband, Larry, with Duke, Sheldon and Ed Bigelow in the background. Ed and Hal are more visible in the next picture. The first picture in the next row shows Dan Sythe, Sarah, David and me laughing at something I can't remember, but it must have been good. We met Dan at the first Aloha Camp. David is, of course, Kitty's hubby, an outrigger canoe racer, surfer, physical fitness fanatic, and fine, if quiet, slack key guitarist. Kawika plays a soft nylon string guitar softly, and prefers to stay in the background, even though he is very experienced and has lots of finesse. The rest of the shots are more of the same, but worth noting is the one with Sarah and Kevin, because Kevin keeps giving Sarah little tips on fingering and chord variations, which he is doing in this picture.

Then, to top it all off, when pictures were not being taken, there was a surprise appearance by Atta Morasco (I hope I spelled his last name correctly). It was as if Luciano Pavarotti came to sing at your party, and he could both play the bass and dance a kolohe hula. The man’s voice was simply amazing and put an exclamation point to the whole day.

Three Saturdays later, there were many of the same people at Waihe`e, with the addition of Pekelo, and a young `ukulele whiz named Jared. Pekelo you know all about, and he was at his best. Jared is a young man who is a real student of the `ukulele, and he took it upon himself to explain lots of things to me about the instrument, its variations, the fads of the young players, and gave me tips about how to learn more about it in the proper way.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  12:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid! Nice write up! It sure was great to catch up with you and Sarah. Just wanted to correct the name of our special visitor -- Ata Damasco http://mele.com/v3/artcat/damasco.htm. If any of you here don't know him, look him up, buy his music. You will be happy. His singing is simply out-of-this-world.

Glad to hear you are home safe and the Goodall too!

me ke aloha
Duke
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1020 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I concur. Atta Damasco. I have his music. A comer in Hawaiian music.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Reid - thank you for the rundown of names!

Did I read Mainkaukau correct - Kaui Low died?? The same Kaui Low that played with Leilani Bond and Kirby Keough? He was just a young man (compared to me, that is), and so talented. He will be sorely missed. Our condolences to all who knew and loved him.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  3:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Popoki for the great pictures. They make my wife and I eager to back to all the magic there. Thanks, again!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  8:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, thanks for the running commentary, Reid. I was also able to take some photos, but am struggling with the huge size of some of the files. I did get a shot of Ata. I'll try to see if Andy can help me get some of these posted. (I can run huge computer programs at work but seem to have difficulty with some of the consumer applications. )

Me ke aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  02:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the wonderful write-up, Reid! I am sorry I did not get to be at the kanikapila after Camp - sounds like that was lots if fun, too. I did take a few photos (this was before I decided to just let Julie and her nice big camera do all the hard work). I am going to to try to use Flickr to make them viewable for everyone, but this is my first time using that site, so I make no guarantees that I've done it correctly!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91395419 @ N00/
(the link requires the whole line including @ N00 (with no spaces) - I'm not sure why I can't make it show that way in this post. Any ideas, Andy?)

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  03:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, how could I have forgotten Ivan Ho'opi'i (shakabrah) who came to the kanikapila on the 18th? One of the newest Patchers fom Waianae, Ivan plays about 2 notes for every single one that I know about. Ivan plays fingerstyle, with vigor, and you sure can hear him from a distance :-), kinda like a laid back version of Barry Flanagan without Barry's manic intensity (if you can possibly imagine that :-).

So, Ivan, come out of the woodwork and say Aloha.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000