Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Too Old To Start Now?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  12:58:15 AM  Show Profile
I just finished a book which I thought was very right on. (In other words the guy agreed with me.) -- NEVER TOO LATE by John Holt.

John Holt started to play the cello at age 40, stopped for a while and resumed it at age 50. Ended up a pretty good player on an instrument which is very difficult to learn. --- This book is his story of learning an instrument "later in life," and in the process he has a lot to say about loving and playing music, how adults learn, perfectionism, etc.

An easy read & very worthwhile. (Except the first third was kind of boring for me. Too much stuff on his early life, etc.)

I have two special interests in this kind of stuff. (1) I'm 53 and I started both the guitar and slack key at 50. I'm also dealing with my own perfectionism and stage fright. (2) In my professional life as a psychologist I worked a lot with all diffrent sorts of artists -- a lot of work on peak performance issues, stage fright, etc. There are some pages in this book that I'm going to use as handouts.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose, CA

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  02:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Raymond,
I can probably relate to that. I was a ukulele champ in High School and played traditional guitar as well - all by ear. However, when I went to college I completely abandoned my musical talent as I pursued my CPA dream, got a job, raised a family and finally at 40 (more than 20 years later), I saw this guy on TV playing classical music in a Guitar! I was so fascinated with it I enrolled at the University for classical guitar lessons the following week. I had to learn to read music for the first time and play a classical guitar with all the regimented finger exercises you can imagine. Talk about frustrations a 40 year old guy could go through.But I persevered and enjoyed playing classical guitar for another five years. Then I completely stopped again for another 10 years as I slowly burned out in my fast paced Financial career. Moved to Maui and at 58 discovered Slack Key and reintroduced my self to my first love - the Ukelele and the rest is history. I will be 60 in January and I just put my notice for my retirement and soon, bruddah, I can age gracefully with my slack key guitar and ukulele music. Yes it's never too late indeed.

ed

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  02:28:13 AM  Show Profile
This is a good thread. Thanks for sharing your stories. At age 49.5 I am happy to have music back in my life. I, too, abandoned music at an early age (trained on violin, abandoned violin, took up guitar, abandoned guitar...all by age 23), but the love never died. Raymond, I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever have the nerve to play in front of an audience. I was determined, however, to conquer my fear. I joined a hula halau here on Maui as a guitarist and while initially, the stage fright nearly did me in, keeping a lot of aloha in my heart kept me going. Now, two years later, it's hard for me to believe that not only am I a performing musician, I'm the lead singer of the group! I don't play much slack key with the group, some, but not a lot. Kihoalu is my personal passion that I pursue on the side and because of the confidence I gained with the hula group, it seems to be taking on a wonderful life of its own. I definitely plan on looking for the book you mentioned. Mahalo nui for sharing.

Duke
Hana, Maui

Edited by - duke on 10/08/2002 02:35:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  02:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
hi Ed,

You 60? no way man!
You've aged well; doin' something right.

This post reminded me of a visit to my barber in Oregon last month. I always like going there cause my barber plays guitar between cuts. not slack-key, but hey.
Anyway, this elderly man comes in, it's his birthday, and mark, my barber tells me he's 91 today. Wow, congratulations I tell him. Then Mark tells me the guy started playing fiddle at 87! He had teachers tell him he'd never learn it at that age. He learned it and now plays in some of the old-time groups around Eugene, and gets a great deal of enjoyment in playing, and in telling how wrong his teachers were!

Never too late!

cheers,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  03:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Right, it's NEVER too late. After being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder related to Rheumatoid Arthritis, I decided at age 52 to start hula! Had to keep moving, baby! Then after that came ukulele and now slack key. Although I was in a rock band in the 60's, after I left the group I never performed in public except in a church choir. It's like I have a new leash on life. Why did I wait all these years? Only playing piano, and never trying a fretted instrument? Who knows. But I tell you, doors have opened up and my horizons have broadened considerably since. I just love what I'm doing now. (I mean, what I'm TRYING to do...)Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  12:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Another OF here! A year or two of piano and violin lessons as a school girl, then I tried self-taught guitar for a couple of years in the 70's, and finally picked up classical guitar again at 60 for the new millennium, slack key early this year and ukulele mid-year. Postings by Fran Guidry and Russell Letson, among others, on another forum had a lot to do with my trying slack key. I'm not too diligent, so not too skilled, but it's been fun.

Julie, I haven't tried hula yet. Do you think it will help shed some of these pounds?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  6:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
I'm 66 and started Slack Key last February not having played guitar before. Flying to Oakland on Friday for second real lesson. With age comes some wisdom to know whats important, and it pointer, pinky, thumb and just pick.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  6:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Don,

You just trumped me.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  7:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone!

I just want to say if I ever feel to old to start something new...I think I will lay down and try to die at that point (which will still be something new!!!)!! We should do what makes us happy until the end!! If I'm ever afraid to do something new, will somebody PLEASE....Come to Detroit and Kick my Ass!!!

Keep playing, pluckin', and swayin' everyone!!!!

Aloha

Danno
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  10:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,
It is really great to hear that I am not the only 60 year old dog trying to learn new tricks. I have owned guitars for over 30 years and for most of that time they were only pretty furniture that I did not play. In late 98 I rediscovered how much I enjoyed listening to slack key music and decided to get serious about learning. My only regret is that I waited so long and that the old brain cells don't soak up learning as good as they used to. I don't learn fast but I have the persistence of a pit bull. I will never be great at this but I will get a lot better. I haven't got time to quit again. Mahalo for all the support and encouragement. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  10:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I like this thread too. Not sure if I'm allowed to post under this topic since I'm 30...
quote:
I'm also dealing with my own perfectionism and stage fright. (2) In my professional life as a psychologist I worked a lot with all diffrent sorts of artists -- a lot of work on peak performance issues, stage fright, etc. There are some pages in this book that I'm going to use as handouts.
Any additional comments on perfectionism and stage fright? This is a very pertinent topic so thanks for the book recommendation. Is Never Too Late (published in 1980 and out-of-print) the same as Never Too Late: My Musical Life Story (published 1991)?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:22:39 AM  Show Profile
I agree, this is an interesting thread.

I carefully read the replies on this subject. What a neat group of people.

Raymond, you, I've not had the pleasure of meeting I think, but your posts and attitude come thru. You've a passion for kihoalu. As for the book you recommend, Amazon is but a click away...thank you.

Julie........you brighten up any situation you walk into. Your Hula is eXquisite wid a kapital exx !! You have the grace, skill and beauty to convey alo'ha. A true gift. I never mentioned it, but some weeks ago I was driving by thru Ben Lomond and saw you standing on the side of the road with that crazy pineapple uke in your hand...really, what was that all about ?:) May have been the evening that Barry flanagan played at Henflings....but would have been a couple of hours before the show.....

Jerry....Sulle.........When I am sixty, I can only hope to hold myself in the style, grace, and elegance that you display. A gentleman in the real sense.

Andy........30......ohmygawd...friggin baby. By the way, yer always allowed in the clubhouse....Whassup wit the smiley faces? How about some aliens or flames, or guitars, or something.....I mean, I cant keep putting the eight ball smiley after every post of mine can I ....even if its the only one that applies?

love to you all
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
Yes - same book

If anyone is interested, I can probably put together an annotated list of a few books/chapters dealing with performance issues and stage fright. I've been working with artists in different mediums for almost 20 years, and have read a bunch of stuff which has been useful to myself and others. (By the way, most of my clients tell me I've helped them.)

My own stagefright is interesting in that I've been gigging in slack key and handle the stage fright fairly well. When I play in front of Keola Beamer my hand start shaking and I can barely pluck the strings. (That's what keeps therapists honest -- we have to deal with our own swtuff, too.)
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  02:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
If anyone is interested, I can probably put together an annotated list of a few books/chapters dealing with performance issues and stage fright. I've been working with artists in different mediums for almost 20 years, and have read a bunch of stuff which has been useful to myself and others. (By the way, most of my clients tell me I've helped them.)
I'm very interested. That would be great. I haven't read anything on the subject but definitely suffer the symptoms; shaky hands, increased heart rate, etc. I should really get out there and practice. A few people urged me to try some open mics, but I haven't done it yet.

Andy

Here's the book at Amazon:

15% of your purchase through this
link is donated to TaroPatch.net - Mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  12:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
It's a little odd to find I'm not the Old Guy here, even on the steep downhill side of my fifties.

For me, starting late applies to playing out after 35 years of home picking: at 50, I started sitting in with a bunch of swing/folk players and now do a couple restaurant gigs a week.

But even after all those years of playing fingerstyle and almost as long listening to slack key (starting with the Gabby Band, Volume 1 LP), I didn't try slack key until I started writing Acoustic Guitar magazine pieces about it a few years back and attended workshop sessions with Uncle Ray at the San Mateo festivals.

The almost startling recognition in all this was how *social* music is--it's one thing to sit on the sofa and work on your licks, but playing with people involves a whole different set of skills and perceptions, and adding an audience adds even more. I still sit up late at night and pick away for a bit before turning in, but my Sunday and Monday gigs are the pivots for my whole week. And at my acoustic partner's urging, I finally started playing a little slack key on Sundays. I don't know when I'll feel competent enough to add singing, though.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I am chagrined to find out that, at 63, I am not the oldest beginner here. I was looking forward to having an irrefutable excuse for why I can't play well. I suppose I will have to fall back on the undeniable lack of talent.

Perhaps we can have a thread about old and sore tendons, failing eyesight and the like. I can be very interesting when describing the effects of a fused, titanium supported spine on guitar playing posture :-)

Another OF,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000