Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Cowtown Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Ya'll
I have arranged for a kanikapila at my favorite coffee house in Vacaville (Cowtown). Please mark your calenders and plan to attend if you can. The date will be Sunday March 19th from High Noon till about 4pm. The coffee house is called "Perfect Blend" and is located at 401 Monte Vista Ave. (corner of Monte Vista and Dobbins). Bring your instruments and your Alona spirit. Great coffee, pastries and sandwichs are available on site. The owners of the Perfect Blend are Beth and Stephanie,two lovely, hawaiian friendly ladies. Stephanie is from Oahu and just loves everything hawaiian so I am hoping to give her an afternoon that reminds her of home. If you have any questions you may post here or contact me by email through the website.
Ya'll come now hea.

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jerry, I'll be there and I'll spread the word as well. Look forward to sitting in the with the Kupunas...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  11:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jerry,

I'm going to try to make it but won't know for sure until we get a little closer to the date. It was great seeing you and The Kupunas at the Kani at Nani's.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha All,
There have been lots of reads on this thread and I am hoping that a lots of you are planning to attend on March 19th. I am adding a map link to help you find our location. http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=401+E.+Monte+Vista+Ave&csz=Vacaville%2C+CA+95688-9370&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=
Looking forward to seeing many of you, JlSule'
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  2:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jerry,

Are you planning this as a kanikapila or an open mic? In other words is everyone going to play together (kani), or are folks going to rotate taking a stage while others listen (open mic)? It seems that everyone arranged in a circle playing together during business hours might seem a little strange to foot traffic.

Either way, we think we can make it.

...Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/05/2006 2:14:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Ai Jerry, Larry and I will be skiing up at South Lake Tahoe, taking some folks from the office for our annual group outing. So sadly, we won't be driving though Vacaville until later that night. Waahhh,
we'll be thinking of you, hoping you have a great time.
Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Lawrence,
Glad you can make it. This event will be a regular kanikapila where everybody joins in similar to what we do at Nani's. Open mic is not the plan but if the spirit moves you..... see you soon,Jerry
BTW the coffee shop has a fair amount of room and many of the regular customers will not be offended having seen Bob and I play Hawaiian there before.
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  1:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jerry, I notified everyone that I thought might be interested. I believe Shaun & Michael from the Kani @ Nani's will be coming and Uncle Charlie is checking his schedule as well.

Art
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Mucho Mahalos Art. Really glad that Shaun and others can make it. Stephanie (Perfect Blend proprietress) is so excited she is bringing her whole family to enjoy the sounds.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha ALl,
Just a little more info. We will probably due a lot of songs from the He Mele Aloha (blue book) so if you have it; bring it. Also it would be helpful if some of you who have them could bring folding chairs or stools for added seating. The coffee shop has lots of seats but it would be nice to save some for drop by customers/spectators. If no have;no worry. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  11:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow. What a jam. Plenty fun. Plenty folks showed up. And I got to see another talent of Sil da Trill. I never knew Ed Sullivan played such an influence while we grew up. The Tril's a natch at emceeing. He helped make things run smoothly. It was great for me to meet, sing and play with bruddahs and sistas of Taropatch. Four hours sure flew by. Looking forward to more SF Bay Area kanikapilas. I'll be at Nani's fo' sure. Hope to meet new folks. Till then got to work on more mele.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Pulelehua emailed me this photo. Check out the turnout!!!

Some of the Cowtown Kanikapila Participants

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  06:00:06 AM  Show Profile
What's with all the tiny guitars in the picture?
Go to Top of Page

usreeds
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Great time at the Cowtown Kanikapila--everyone is still emailing about how much fun it all was--so much talent in one place thanks to Jerry for arrainging the event and to the host's (coffee shop owners) for having us all. mahalo, Pohakumakamae
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
For over 4 hours this past Sunday, Vacaville (Cowtown), California was filled with the sounds of slack key guitars, standard tuned guitars, a steel guitar, ukuleles and what was described by many as the stereo effects of an electric bass on one side and a beautiful upright bass on the other. All of this was complimented by the voices of well over 20 individuals singing along to mele after mele after mele and also a few spot hula by Auntie Ella and 2 other wahine. At one point, I took a break and was able to sit and listen to the wonderful music being played and observe the joy on everyone's faces. All of this topped off by the pleasure of meeting several individuals for the first time; Jerry's granddaughter visiting from out-of-state and many members of the "Kupunas" from the Vacaville/Fairfield area. Mahalo nui to Jerry for arranging this kanikapila and to the owners of the "Perfect Blend" coffee shop, Beth & Stephanie, for indulging us...

Art

Edited by - ArtSap on 03/22/2006 08:05:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  8:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Aue!!! It was one fun time. Thanks Jerry for arranging this kani. Unforgettable moments like: my brother Gerry joining in, my good friend Ray reconnecting (thanks ArtSap for getting in touch with lots of folks), Bruddah's Shaun and Walter providing vocals to Ikaika's rendition of Kawika (Boy can rip!!!!)....and the long winded auntie paying all of us compliments (tanks Uncle Charlie and the rest of you guys chiming in with some soft music, felt like da Oscar's wen dey talk story too much...) Anyways it's just a credit to all that goes on with the sharing of the mele's, and aloha feeling. Those compliments came from her heart, as does all your singing and playing.

...so let's do it again real soon. Like on March 30th in Hayward @ Nani's Donuts

A Hui Hoa, Sil
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000