Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile
So I know string preference is personal. But being a serious newbie what are your likes and why? I just added to my instrument family a KoAloha Longneck Standard and soon a G String Concert. I expect the Concert to be mellower but do some strings add a bit more briteness?

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile
I have settled on Worth strings as my favorite. They are flouro-carbon strings and they are recommended by KoAloha too. I like the way they feel, and don't have to worry about squeaking like on wound strings. They do take quite a few days to stretch out and settle, but once they do, they are solid strings and last for quite awhile. Yes, some strings do add brightness. I have found the "Special Clear" are the brightest strings from Worth. The price of Worth strings might look expensive, but they come in "double sets", which basically means, they are long enough to get 2 complete sets from the package.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile
I REALLY like the new Worth strings. KoAloha put them on all their new ukuleles. Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta Jr swear by them.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
On my bass I like to use GHS Bass Boomers Medium/Lights because they're nice and bright and the notes really sustain. Huh, what's that? You aren't asking about strings for a bass? Never mind. By the way, welcome to the patch Bruddah Genaro! If you need to know anything about the patch just ask me and I'll be glad to tell you what I know. For instance, you can just send your monthly forum dues to me and I'll make sure they...huh, what's that? There aren't any monthly forum dues? Okay, never mind...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I use Aquila's Nylgut strings on most of my ukes; they sound great, but they have a shorter lifetime than other materials. I have clear Worth strings on a RISA Uke'Ellie, the black GHS strings it came with were awful - the C was off 5 cents on the fretted notes. I've had Ko'Aloha Golds, right name?, on a soprano that sounded very nice, but I didn't like the colors that varied from string to string.

Both Nylgut and the Golds have a bit of texture to them; the Worth is smooth.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  9:49:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pauline Leland

I use Aquila's Nylgut strings on most of my ukes; they sound great, but they have a shorter lifetime than other materials. I have clear Worth strings on a RISA Uke'Ellie, the black GHS strings it came with were awful - the C was off 5 cents on the fretted notes. I've had Ko'Aloha Golds, right name?, on a soprano that sounded very nice, but I didn't like the colors that varied from string to string.

Both Nylgut and the Golds have a bit of texture to them; the Worth is smooth.

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  9:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all for your info. I've got a start and know what to look for.

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  07:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
GUke,

the gold strings are ko`olau, i think. they are my favorite by far. i love their sound and tension.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

veinte_balboas
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  02:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Still saving for a KoAloha, but took out some cash to see if I could make my Kala KC sound a little better with some Worth BM strings. Auwe! Mellower but clearer, if you know what I mean. I didn't even have to crash my savings and am still on course for my KoAloha! Mahalo for the info about Worth strings. Aloha.

Maluhia ma o koekoe 'a'ole pu. (Transliteration: Peace through strums not guns.)
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile
For my 2-cents worth, I've had very good luck with Kamaka strings. Good luck and welcome to the Patch.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  11:34:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so now I want to string one of my concerts with low G. Are low G strings for concert unwound which would be my preference.

Genaro

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

veinte_balboas
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  6:42:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm also going to give low G a try on one of my concerts. Found some Worth unwound strings that I hope will do the trick. I'll just need some of your help tuning the thing. Aloha.

Maluhia ma o koekoe 'a'ole pu. (Transliteration: Peace through strums not guns.)
Go to Top of Page

berean_315
Akahai

96 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  05:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit berean_315's Homepage
I think the strings you use depend on the uke. Just need to experiment and see what sounds good. I have a Koaloha Concert and like the black strings that came on it. I like to play Hawaiian music and jazz type stuff, and they seem to sound good for that. Kind of a mellower sound. I tried Aquila's on it, but didn't care for the sound.

On the other hand I have a Kau Wela Super Soprano with a laminate top. It came with black strings, but was kind of quiet. I tried the Aquila strings on it, and it made quite a difference with the volume and the tone sounds nicer in my opinion.

I've heard good thing about Worth strings, but haven't tried them yet.

Gerald
http://www.ukeland.com/pages/media/audio/users.cgi?greadore

http://www.youtube.com/berean315
http://www.reverbnation.com/greadore
How to Play the Tahitian Ukulele PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/jz0219v8ec7bitu2h3mb
Tahitian Ukulele, Music & Language PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/7xdrebqoulugrvehf43l
Go to Top of Page

ToeBone
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  04:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit ToeBone's Homepage
I've been playing on Ko`olau strings for about a year and I have raved about how great they are. Last weekend I gave my uke a little tuneup and put the Worth clears on because that's what I had. Man! Those strings sound great! Bright and clear and such a nice feel.

Uke that 'tude!
Go to Top of Page

Vintage FL
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  03:03:22 AM  Show Profile
I have just bought a vintage soprano Kamaka and want to get Worth strings for it. I am a little confused by the choices. I've heard that the clear strings are great but evidently the brown ones are supposedly for the Hawaiian koa ukuleles. There are also several different tensions available. For instance, in the brown strings you can get the following:
BL - Easy Play & Mellow Sound
BM - Medium Feel & Clean Sound
BM-LG - Medium Feel & Clean Sound LOW-G
BE - Extra (superior tension) Feel & Bright Crisp Sound
BC - Custom Balanced 1st and 4th string

I don't really want the low G so that's out, but I'm really wondering, without buying and trying all the clears and browns available, which of these would be best for the Kamaka. I play both fingerstyle and strumming. I'd love some advice from anyone using Worths on a vintage koa uke.
Go to Top of Page

berean_315
Akahai

96 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit berean_315's Homepage
Vintage FL,

I've wondered the same thing about Worth Strings. Have never tried any yet, but a lot of people seem to really like them. Looking forward to reading any responses you get.

Gerald

http://www.youtube.com/berean315
http://www.reverbnation.com/greadore
How to Play the Tahitian Ukulele PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/jz0219v8ec7bitu2h3mb
Tahitian Ukulele, Music & Language PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/7xdrebqoulugrvehf43l
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000