Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  2:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Vintage FL,
I restrung my Koaloha soprano with CM Worth. Koaloha uses Worth strings as original. I felt the original were too stretchy and suspect they may have been BL. Now if I play a minor seventh using "box" fingering, I don't easily get an off pitch sound. I also restrung my G String concert with CM Worth -- Hilo strings are original. And I like the slightly brighter sound. Although the brown/black strings look nicer on my koa ukuleles, I like the better tension and brighter sound. So if tension is a consideration BL is out.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage FL
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  04:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you very much GUke. It's amazing how much of this all boils down to personal preference. I had another person over at FMM say he preferred the brown over the clear for the vintage koa ukes. So it's hard to say, I guess, without trying them all out.

I had concert Aquilos put on my Hamano at Elderly before they delivered it and I did not care for the concert strings on the soprano. I'm thinking I might go with the medium or extra tension brown soprano Worths for the Kamaka to start, probably the mediums. When I switch my other ukuleles to the clear medium Worths, I might try them on the Kamaka then to see if I see a tonal difference in the clears.

Confusing. Too many choices, and all based on subjective factors.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage FL
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  04:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Just an update, I ordered a set of Worth soprano clear mediums and a set of soprano brown mediums. I put the brown mediums on the Kamaka and am *very* pleased with the result. The tension feels just right and the strings are nice and bright, yet with that nice mellow koa tone. I was concerned that the sustain might not be as good as with clears, but it's just fine. This ukulele is already nice and loud. I'm thinking that if someone had one that they'd like to sound a little louder and brighter, the clears might be good to try first.

Thanks to the advice you all gave here, I got the medium and not the light Worths. On my other soprano ukes that are strung with Aquilas, I prefer their light over their medium. So I might not have picked the medium without your good advice. So thank you very much! Strings are not expensive but it can add up when you keep trying out different sets trying to find the best sound.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile
More expensive but you get strings long enough to string your ukulele twice. Not bad for fishing line, huh?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000