Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 April So Bay Open Mic News
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  3:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

Wednesday, April 12, will be our next Open Mic at the Espresso Gardens. The sale to a new owner is proceeding at the normal snails pace and will hopefully go through. At any rate, we at least have EG for April.

I'd like to once again thank Raymond for all the work he has done in putting this together, nursing it through puberty and leaving us with a successful venue. We started with four people getting on the stage and at the last open mic we had 11 acts and 38 audience members. Wow! I am utterly amazed at the organic growth and humbled by the achievements of our performers. It's fun to watch the hui that have formed, the keiki singing their hearts out, the occasional hula; it goes on and on. It is quite an `ohana.

I promise to try to keep this going, and to grow to new heights. We do have a time limitation we need to consider. We really need to be finished by 9:30. That limits us to 10 acts, at 15 minutes each, starting at 7:00 PM. That's 15 minutes including setup and getting off stage. I'm not going to be lenient with time if we have a full slate, so if it takes you ten minutes to set up, you basically get one song. Make it a good one. This is a first come, first served signup and solo or one-time performances take preference over multiple performances. Only one solo performance will be allowed and if you played with a group earlier in the show, you will only be allowed to perform solo later, if time allows and it doesn't interfere with someone who hasn't yet played. So, try to group your performances and sign up accordingly. Please be kind to each other.

Mahalo e ka `ohana. A hui hou,

Dave

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile
BTW,
Dave's comments on time keeping are consistent with the procedures used by the other open mics at EG -- Classical Guitar, Celtic, Acoustic. If you're a featured performer in a group, you don't get solo time - or rather you have to choose which you want. If you are backup for a singer, you still can get your own time. They also try to do another thing -- they ask if you are playing backup for your friend, and your friend is later backing you up, then the recommend you to sign up for two slots back to back to minimize set up time. As the crowd builds, and as more performers attend, time management gets to be a real issue.

OK, no more of these posts, I promise. Dave's in charge. No more. (Not just even one more) Habits die hard, letting go isn't always easy. No more posts. No more [posts. A new mantra.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000