Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Loops
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  07:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...

It doesn't sound too bad, but it could be better.

The missing milliseconds is peculiar. I thought for sure that I had just taken out silence. Is this true of both the ipu clips?

I am also surprised that the background noise floor is high enough to be noticed, because that means the noise floor of a pro cd was high. I didn't even think to denoise it.

I can redo them easily enough, and lower the noise floor by 20 db and re-edit the leading edge.

Try the other clip, and if it happens with that, then I'll just do it over, if you want. No sense in working hard to overcome defects that can be dealt with up front.

One other thing that can be done is to copy the leading edge of one of the internal sequences and paste it on the first one. Or even a whole, complete sequnce to replace the first one.

Let me know what you want to do.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, Got mail (and redone clip 2, renamed Ipu3).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Reid,
I'll try again when I get the new clip. I could finesse the volume dip a little better, but there's a definite room sound to the clips, which I think is residual sound bouncing around the room where it gets cut off by our editing. These clips may have been recording on analog equipment, too, which may leave a little tape hiss in the mix.
I'm a technical neanderthal, so I'm just doing what sounds good and may be missing other technical considerations in this project.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

A couple things.

The noise was strange in that it was true white noise: flat across the spectrum. That is pretty unusual in my experience; noise is usually pink (kinda 1/f). So, I took that out in Ipu3.

Another thing that I think is important is that this loop starts out from "nothing". That is, the first slap is from "silence"; it is a real beginning. The following beats, including the last, are continuous and, I think you are right, have components from earlier beats. Since I have been looking at the wave forms and listening to them, it seems to me that a copy of Ipu3 should be made that has the first sequence shaped so that it is more like the internal sequences. The result would be 2 clips - the one I sent you to use as the first/opening measure and one that is used as the repeating/looping measures. Then, that one can be bolted to one of the endings that I sent you. I can do this in parallel with your playing with the latest clip I sent.

Then we can see what we get.

This is pure fun for me and a learning experience, too.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I should state up front that I'm not creating a sound font that can be molded and varied as needed, I'm just producing a simple rhythm track that can be used a few times for song backgrounds before it gets too repetitive. But you could give it a different sound with EQ/chorus/other effect and stretch it in Audacity or some other program to create variations that can be used from song to song. Or you can add a slightly different sound by stopping the rhythm periodically for tacit passages though even that seems too laborious for my skill level.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  03:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, that's cool. We all have our own goals. I have a couple, too.

What you are doing for me is acting as a sort of test bed, exposing what I need to do to loops to make them work for me. Every "bug" you encounter is a help :-)

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 03/24/2006 03:24:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile
OK, I finally got the idea. I was being too tricky and tried to produce an entire 4 beat measure, with beginnings and endings. Stupid. That is not an atom: a finger flutter, slap, slap is. (Badada-dum-dum). So walking in the lakes near our house and watching the swans nesting, the mergansers and grebes diving, the herons standing hunched up freezing, and the geese mating, I got the message: simplify. So, I extracted (I won't go into how, but it was simple)one ipu atom, mated the ends, and had Adobe Audition loop it for me. Perfect.

So, I sent a wav to Jesse, but, I don't know where to put it where everyone can get a copy. If someone hosts, I'll put it up.

I'm gonna use it where appropriate, anyway.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  1:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I haven't posted my latest experiment, but I was able to trim the start of the loop Reid sent and butt it up against the end of the previous one and keep the beat steady. But the sound at the beginning of the clip isn't the same as the end, so there's still a blip between them. Rather than take it out, I think I'll leave it in for a modern, remixed sound. Will post it soon.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  07:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, bag that 4 sequence one and just let your software loop the single one I sent you last.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile

I did not mean to lead anyone astray with my definition of "sound font" above. A sound font (usually) consists of a collection of single "notes" or single sounds, so the slap part of an ipu and the thump part would be different "notes" in the sound font collection. Also, usually each sound in the font is allowed to either decay naturally or be damped (often there are separate "sound bites" for each differing case). So you take every single sound you can make with an ipu and put them together into a "sound font". Then you play a MIDI score (or a live MIDI instrument) that will play back the "notes" from the sound font in the sequence and timing desired.
This is what is done with regular Drum Sets (Trap Set or Drum Kit) in a MIDI system, as well as all the other instruments. (This is still a little bit simplified description of the MIDI process)

What yooze guys are doing is definitely looping and not a sound font approach (although you seemed to be wanting to approach that level). There are lots of tools available for making your own sound fonts, and this sound font stuff is the next lower "atomic particle" approach at a smaller and more detailed level below looping. The advantage with the individual note approach is that you can feed in a score or play a real time instrument to make the final sounds.

Both methods can be made to sound more "real" or "human" by varying the timing or emphasis or coloration or doubling beats, etc (as Mark has indicated).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/25/2006 09:37:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:18:42 AM  Show Profile
This is the single Ipu sequence looped 12 times by Audition. (The 12 repeats was just an arbitrary number)
I just inserted the single sequence into a track that I told Audition was a looped track, and dragged the right track handle so that it repeated 12 times. The ending is just cut off - I took no trouble to make that transition sound good. The result sounds pretty human to me.

http://home.comcast.net/~rkaplan/Ipu_Loop_12_Mixdown.mp3

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000