Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Led on Prairie Home Companion 10/12 and 10/13
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Just heard an ad on NPR that Led and Owana Salazar will play on Prairie Home Companion 10/12 and 10/13 (Today - Sat. amd tom'w - Sun.). In our area (CT), PHC is on at 6:00 PM EST both nights. The Sun. show is a repeat of the Sat. show.

Hope it is not too late an announcement for all of you.

Enjoy,

Reid

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Reid! I'd forgotten all about PHC. For more info, see http://phc.mpr.org/ - there is a webcast. If you missed the show, there is usually an archive too.

See if we get a preview to their NYC show? See you and Sarah later this month, brah.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  4:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Reid. That's 5:00PM locally, Seattle, on KUOW 94.9. They also have webcasts but I didn't read that part.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  12:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Led was on at about 40 minutes and again at an hour and 45 minutes into the show. Great! I have just a few CD's - Ozzie, Moses Kahumoku, and Keola Beamer on the CD that comes with the study book - so it was new to me. Led shows that slack key is dance music! He rocks. Owana Salazar was on sort of half-way between Led's appearances. Very skillful, but I prefer slack key.

I won't be going to their concert Sunday, but I will be at the workshop Monday night. Woo-hoo!

They must be getting tired of airports by now.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  12:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mygooness Pauline, you never heard Ledward before? He's a pistol, one of the most compelling performers I've ever seen.

On our first trip to see Ledward we filled our CD changer with his CDs, some of which were recent purchases and unheard. By the time we arrived in Point Reyes Station I realized that my musical life had taken a new direction. Ledward was in a group called Hui Ohana with his brother and cousin in his early twenties, and I understand that they were the Beatles of Hawaiian music. He played electric guitar, and sounded like a Hawaiian Les Paul. His brother, Nedward, played bass and his cousin, Dennis Pavao played rhythm guitar and sang exquisite angelic leads. When that group came apart he had another great trio named I Kona, then he went solo. By coincidence, "Led Live Solo" is a nice overview of his recent work, with several signature tunes.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  3:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,
I am listening to Prairie Home Companionon on the internet as I write this note. They are having a funds drive this week (KQED-S.F.) so the interuptions are not great but Led just finished his first part on the show and he was great as usual. I particularly enjoyed the gospel number he did with Garison singing. I am not really religious but it was some real chicken skin playing. I always enjoy this show anyway but what a treat to hear such a great performer.Mahalo for the heads up on this show.
Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I stopped home in the middle of the show, set my minidisc on record and went out to dinner. When I got home I was really enjoying Led's (lightning fast & clean) Whee Ha Swing when my minidisc battery conked out! Why didn't I plug it in?!?!

I'll check the archive when I'm at work with a faster Internet connection. It was a nice treat to hear Hawaiian music on the Radio in NJ.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Here is the address to the show with Led. Look at the time 38:33 for Led's portion of the show.

http://phc.mpr.org/performances/20021012/index.shtml

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000