Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Led in Dusty Strings Seattle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosewoodblues
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosewoodblues's Homepage  Send rosewoodblues an ICQ Message
Ledward Kaapana did a workshop last night in seattle after a BCC concert for a local radio show. in a word INSPIRING! deing here in seattle i have had a hard time connecting with a slack key community and though it is there the teachings are far a few between. this leaves me to travle about an hour for a lesson or pour through books. led was like his tape, lets play! it is all about the music and feeling. i was so inspired by his uke playing that i picked one up and had him sign it. now i jsut need to play. he showed that he is not only a slack-key player but did some amazing jazz work on the guitar as well! sometimes in your life you stumble upon brushes with greatness. ah to be blessed in this way. anyway i jsut wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who went and what they thought.

ken;

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  12:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ken,

We met last night. BTW, I looked around and counted about 16 persons in the audience, more than I expected, slackers are a growing community. I tried not to include entourage or Dusty Strings folks.

I wasn't able to attend the Sunday concert, but hearing so much playing last night made up for it. Like you said, Led is inspiring. Did the radio station record the concert?

I've never attended a workshop so I didn't know what to expect. Bruddah Chrispy and Derek went to George Kahumoku's (?) workshop and came back with lots of handouts and their brains just stuffed with more than they could absorb at the time, so I brought a clipboard, folder for handouts, and such. Never needed them. Led is not a put it on paper person at all. He's all watch, listen, and learn. He was very open to questions from the audience, but there were few, so we had a concert from him. Part way thru, he called up a person whose name I should have remembered to play with him in response to a question about accompanying. Folks, if you attend one of his workshops, think of what you want to find out ahead of time so you can ask. And enjoy his playing! He said the music just comes from the heart, he doesn't read music. He doesn't need to; he can out play or accompany anything, anyone, any style.

Led kept changing tunings. His time spent re-tuning is even musical. How does he do it!?! His tone was always sweet, no twanging unless he wanted to, and I didn't notice string squeaks. He plays as perfectly in person as on recordings. Sometimes he'd get a different tone out of his guitar; I asked and he was palm muting. I wonder how that can be duplicated on nylon. He did a lot of neck bending vibrato, especially on the final harmonics of a song. Then he'd smile and hee-hee. Every song ended with a smile and a laugh.

He had a sheared fleece leather guitar strap, leather side out, with "Jus' Press" tooled on it. Cool.

Aloha,
Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  3:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Pauline, you can palm mute on a classical, you just have to give up your normal hand position. Let the meat of your palm, between the pinky and wrist, lay on the strings at the bridge. Move forward for more mute, back toward the tail for more note.

When you say Led can play with anyone, you're really telling the story. His "Waltz of the Wind" CD is done with some top Nashville players, and he has a tale about getting invited to sit in with Chet Atkins, then getting a "hana hou" from Chet!

Sure glad you had this opportunity to experience the guy, he is really something special.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000