Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Concept guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Reid
I think i may have overdone the size of the large soundhole. I do get too much bass and it sort of drowns out the high notes. Could be sound hole size, could be the (Much)greater body size on the bass side. I am ot about to throw it in the trash, however. It has outdone my expectations for a travel guitar with a hollow neck, and that is what the project was all about.
Thumbs,
Actually, that hole is for the flagpole when i am in the Golden days Parade backing up the Fairbanks Alaska ex-patiot marching ukelele band. Mainly it's just fun to look inside of it. And, if you put your ear right up next to it and hold on tight, you can hear YOUR EAR!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Wait Karl. *Small* sound holes give lots of bass. Big sound holes favor trebles. Also, it does *not* matter much which side is larger. The fact that you can "hear your ear", like a seashell, I imagine, means that the body is too closed.

Another thing: it takes some top aging for trebles to become clear. Contrary to most peoples' opinions, bass is easy to get and comes early in a guitar's life.

You can recover or, at least, learn.

Here is a trick (or design concept, if you prefer) that big-time luthiers use. If the hole(s)is/are too large, put a baffle behind it/them. One guy uses a sliding door behind the hole on the side, that can be adjusted - slid back and forth, so the player can tune the response. Another luthier I know inserted a baffle behind a leaf shaped hole he made in a carved archtop (he was used to f-holes and blew this one) *after* the top was on.

So, practical suggestions: first cover up some of the holes with cardboard and masking tape to see what happens. If the bass increases, as I expect it will, it means you need to open up more hole area. Second, wait a while to see/hear how the top will develop. Third, if the trebles still don't develop, open up the hole on the side. You can do that neatly, and it is true that the sides contribute nil to the sound. Moreover, if you overdo it, you can insert a little sliding door baffle after the fact.

You can still get what you want, Karl.

Have fun,

Reid

PS. Just by looking at it, I bet that there is not enough port (the guitar is a badly messed up bass reflex speaker, after all). That side port is lots smaller than ones I have seen.

Edited by - Reid on 05/15/2006 12:25:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  4:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Karl let me try the "Medusa". Great sound for the size! The sound hole on the upper bout was a great idea. I think yer onto something, Karl. You should let some company in on it so that we can have good travel guitars. That way you won't have to build us all one!
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  4:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Thanks for the "thumbs" up, Kory

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page