Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Phosphor Bronze Elixir
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  10:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of strings...

Has anyone tried the Phosphor Bronze Elixir strings? If so how do they compare to the regular Elixir nanowebs and polywebs?

Mahalo.

Dusty

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Dusty,
I have been using them on my Taylor K22ce for several months (changed them out twice). I prefer them over the other Elixirs. I use either the lights or the medium lights. They sound really sweet -- even better since I had my NT neck reset for Open G. I don't like the polywebs at all - coating too thick and after a while the look and feel fuzzy.

It is hard to say if the guitar sounds better or I am playing better so the music has improved but I vote for the new strings.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm using them also. I like them, although they're getting harder to find. The price went up and Guitar Center doesn't carry them anymore. I just ordered a set of Cleartones from the Internet (heard some good things about them), so I'll be able to give you an evaluation when I swap them out. These are not cheap (even more $ than Elixirs), but they are supposed to last a long time. What do I do with the three sets of regular Elixirs (lights)?
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  8:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Dusty,

I've used them on 2 guitars for a few months. I actually like them a lot. Still the nanoweb, but brighter sounding than the originals I think.
As always......overpriced. Something I've done for both trips to AMC is put on Nanos. They really stand up to Hawaiian humidity.

Cheers,
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, all. I see that shorelinemusic.com has the Phosphor Bronze Elixir strings for $12.50 in quantities of 12+ and the regular Elixirs for $11.00 for 12+ sets. They want $16.95 per set for the Cleartones. Free shipping, too.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 05/13/2006 07:44:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

pastorharry
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  12:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastorharry's Homepage
I have them on three of my guitars-all Martins D-28,D-1, and 000-16. They are great, a tad too bright and raspy when brand new, but mellow to the perfect tone,(for me), and last and last. Aloha Ke Akua, Pastor Harry

Isaiah 38:20
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Good call on Shoreline with the free shipping Dusty (even for a single set).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Dusty,
If you want to order the bulk EPB nano lights and bring some to open Mike Night at Kaisen's I'll buy a triple set off you - save me about $10.00.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Dusty,

The PB Elixirs are closer to the standard PB sound (D'Addario, John Pearse), but they sound just a bit duller to my ear. I still use them because they really do last a lot longer than John Pearse. They also have the advantage of squeaking less than normal PBs because of the nanoweb coating.

It's hard to describe the difference between the PB nanowebs and the 80/20 nanos and polys, but I think the PB nanowebs have a little more high and low end. They sound more natural to me, but that's because I'm used to phosphor bronze strings.

The D'Addario coated strings are also worth trying.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  1:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, T/P Ohana

Wow it's been a longtime since i posted anything, I was reading this thread about different strings, and everyone seems to have it down. Mahalo for the info, it'll make it easier for those that play all the time and those that play music for relaxsation in choosing the right strings. I've notice by trying so many strings that the Nano Web is the one that works for my guitar.

I play a 12 string adamas and i've noticed because of the carbon fiber top, the nano's work better, i've tried a lot of strings and it didn't give me the sound i was looking for. Tried the poly's they had a real thin sound, tried the PB's elixir, they were kinda of "twangy" put the nanos on and it changed the whole sound of my guitar, it still sounds like a 12 but much cleaner belt's the sound out better, and has a greta feel. The polys and PB has a great feel too but not the sound im looking for. Again it all depends on what kind of sound your looking for. Thought i'd post this in case someone else has a 12 string adamas you might want to try it. ( tried the adamas string, doesn't work.)

Happy Strumming.
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  06:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Kevin,
We miss you. Thanks for checking in.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  12:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Good to know it is not too late to put my two cents in on this one. I was a life-long PB user (D Addarios) but got turned on to the elixer nanos because so many slackers use them. When I first put them on, I was a little taken aback by the difference in sound, but got used to them. When I saw the elixer PBs I instantly tried those, thinking it would be like coming home. But I wasn't really impressed with them. I agree with Kevin, I think they were a little twangy; didn't seem to have the tight "authority" of the regular nanos. For the record, these are on a Martin D28. Also for the record, I then put on a set of the D Addario PBs, and they didn't feel like going home either. Perhaps my ear and the sound I'm looking for have changed.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  12:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Related to this, somebody above mentioned prices on line for large orders of strings. I live in the boonies and nearest music store is a long ways off, so buying on line is a good option for me. In the vast experience of the TP ohana, how long can you keep sets of strings around before they lose their newness? I have never bought more than 2 or three sets at a time, and with the coated strings, I'm keeping them on for 8 to 10 weeks.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  2:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Jeff, since Shoreline Music (shorelinemusic.com) ships all their string orders with free shipping as Dusty pointed out above, you only save $2 a set ($12.50 vs. $14.50 for the PB Nanos) by ordering 12+ sets. At 8-10 weeks per set you may as well just buy them fresh when you need them.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/16/2006 2:23:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Jeff,

Strings don't lose their "newness". That is, they have a *very* long shelf life. It is *you* with your greasy corrosive hands and, maybe, beer, and pretzels and pizza, living in a humid environment that corrodes and destroys strings.

Sarah and I, being pure and clean and wonderful :-), can use a set of John Pearse PB Lights for 4 - 6 months before they decay. No Kidding (about the time to decay, anyway). Coated strings are anathema to us - they sound like certain personal products feel.

PPfffftt to coated strings.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  8:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Hi Reid,

I started playing John Pearse strings many years ago. Back when they used to hand pack them at little wine parties, sometimes there would only be 5 strings in a set. No kidding!

To me the Pearse strings sound good, but here in Hawaii, they DO rust right in the container....quickly, without any little dirty fingers touching them at all. Matter of fact if you leave a set a couple of weeks I would bet you can pull them out of the pack, and see corrosion on them. I did like them when I first started using them. But, at a wedding at the north shore at Turtle Bay one time playing at a gazebo next to the ocean, I had new strings on just before the gig, in a 1 hour gig I could hear them rust. I started playing around with the Elixer strings back when Bob Gore was making dental floss. I still prefer them as a compromise, I need something to last a little while any way! Tweek a little EQ and have your audience drink more…nobody can tell the difference! Sometimes it’s good to live in the age of the MP3. Ha!

Ray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000