Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Phosphor Bronze Elixir
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  05:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey Reid, Do you wipe the "PPfffftt" off the strings or does that add to their life?

Back in the day when Keola was recommending Pearse strings, I bought them. I loved the sound for about three day, then they'd start losing their tone. I switched to Elixir Polys (again a Keola suggestion). I loved the sound, but would shred the coating with my fingernails at about day four. Then I moved to Nanos. Anathema or not, I like the sound and as Ray says, a few beers and EQ and nobody knows. They last until I break a string tuning; usually the G when going back down to Double Slack (after doing it a few times)

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 05/17/2006 05:24:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile
I too have tried many brands of strings recently and have settled on Nanowebs, PB or regular. Polywebs are a little too dull for me. On the other hand, a repairman (being serious) told me he changed his strings when they started to sound like the new Nanowebs! Oh well! Since I can't stand to hear attack noise when I stroke the bass stings, It's all Nanowebs for me...they reduce attack and squeak noise. A note on D'Addario Flat Tops: Tried them and removed them immediately. The flat surface picked up scaping noises from my thumbprint as it briefly slid over the lower strings. Very annoying.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Dave, the Pffffttt is like Fast Fret (that stick stuff that lubes strings). Strings are really a funny issue. On rmmga it is one of the most frequently discussed topics, and it is getting that way here, too. It is more than De Gustibus, because there are observable effects, like the one you describe of the tone going fast. This is absolutely the opposite of what happens to us with these strings. Even in Hawai`i, where, as Ray notes, humidity is quite high. We were on the Big Island for a solid month, mostly in Hilo, and never had to change the JP strings once. They rang out loud and clear the whole time.

What Sarah and I do is wash our hands before playing, and wipe the strings (the whole guitar actually) down after every playing - both on top of the strings and by sliding the cloth underneath the strings and against the fretboard. It is a ritual. And we always keep the guitars in their cases when not being played.

I also think there is some interaction between the character of the guitar and the string/guitar tone - they are a system after all. All our guitars are very responsive. That is, they produce a lot of sound for very little plucking input. That may prolong the observable life of the system.

Another thing that dovetails with what you mentioned about breaking the 3rd string. We have only a few guitars on which we change the 3rd string's tuning and mostly we don't do that, but keep a guitar in Double Slack all the time. We have found that jerking the 3rd string around kills it fast. You can get away with switching the 6th string between C and D a lot, but retuning the trebles, especially the 3rd, causes a quick death (it is actually scary - I got whipped once when *loosening* the thing and nearly lost an eye). Lots of tunings is a nice excuse for GAS, too.

Then, there is the oft-told tale (on rmmga) of body chemistry. Certain people just exude acids, or whatever, that kill strings really quickly. They know who they are and they lament it regularly.

I certainly feel we are lucky, anyway, having the sound we want at the price we want over the period of time we want, whatever the real reason(s).

BTW, a beer makes Sarah sing and play better; a beer depletes me completely of whatever little ability I have. Of course, I take the beer, step back, and enjoy the sound of other people's strings.

And, as for your own sound, whatever strings you use, it is gorgeous. The tone production on your pieces on the TP CD was spectacular, and you can't make me believe it was due to EQ.

Play on...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Ray,

That's such a funny story. I had a similar experience. I put some Pearse PB's on just before an outdoor gig in Waikiki and within minutes into the gig, they were starting to stick and completely lost all sense of life.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Thanks to all for the input on string shelf life. I think, given the givens, I'll stick to a couple of sets at a time. Interesting stories about string preferences, limitations, etc. Reid, how did you know so much about my simultaneous drinking, eating, and playing habits??? I'm actually pretty easy on strings body chemistry and superflous-gunk wise, but I don't wipe my strings down after each use.

I did let some guy play my guitar many years ago, who when he handed the guitar back to me I could feel corrosion and pitting in the strings. The next day I picked up the guitar and immediately broke one of the strings. The rest were black with corrosion.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Reid, Thanks for the kudos. Not to get too far off topic, you're right, I use very little EQ. I spend an extraordinary amount of time on mics and mic position. That said, you made a very important point about string cleanliness. I do happen to wipe down my strings after I play. Fortunately I'm not one to produce corrosive sweat and no matter what strings I put on they last a while. I don't go the extra step and place a rag under the strings, but I do use a guitar cleaner that's water based, not petroleum, that I use on every aspect of the guitar, including strings. It's called "Spritzer" and is made and distributed by Keith Holland in Los Gatos, CA. He's the best guitar set-up man I've ever used. His shop recently moved, but Google up "Keith Holland's Guitar Hospital" and I'm sure any of you can find a phone number if you want to order the Spritzer.

Here's a couple other things that relate to strings. One. The thing that screws up strings in the long run is Keratin. Yeah, that nasty sloughed off skin that stays on the strings and fills the voids on the wound ones. (It's also the basis of contracting AIDS and other STDs, but that's another thread; hopefully not on TaroPatch). It stays in contact with the strings and can aid in the corrosion and/or "deadening" of the sound. Two, Sometimes a guitar just doesn't want to play. It has nothing to do with the strings.

I guess it all boils down to a Joe Meek kinda thing. "If it sounds good, it is good". For me, if I'm going to record my Santa Cruz guitars, I put on John Pearse the day before. If it's my Taylor or Goodall Koa, it's Elixir Polywebs two days before. If it's my Randall Kramer, then it's Nanos. If it's for playing in general and I'm looking for a well rounded sound; Nanos. But, as you said, wipe 'em down after you play. For any big event (camp, gig, recording, or the day before the student concert at AMC, etc.) I always put on new strings; or until I breakem, Brah.

One more can of worms, if we're talking about string longevity, what about the frets? Are they worn? Corroded? The right shape for your style? And what about action? Does the fretboard accomodate your playing? Did you put graphite on the nut when you restrung the guitar?

Wow, so many threads, so little time.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 05/18/2006 6:38:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Dave, thanks for all the additional food(s) for thought(s).

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Graphite on the nut. I never thought of that. What product (liquid or dry)? I've got some very clean stuff that I use on my bike chain.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  12:06:09 PM  Show Profile
I used a graphite powder on my banjo nut and it worked well, except for the discoloration of the nut slots.

As for my bike chain lubricant, no doubt Boeshield T-9 would work great, but not as an aerosol.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Graphite = pencil lead. Old old trick.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile
yup pencil score the nut before you slip the string into it. The added lube will reduce wear at the point where most strings breake when tuning/detuning/tuning/detuning or tuning up/down/up/down/up/down -- you get it . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  4:55:01 PM  Show Profile
You betcha, I take a pencil and shave the tip with a knife into the nut slots. You don't need much. Old trick but good trick.

Dave
( o)==;;;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000