Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 travel Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  01:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh! One more thing to add. They make a steel string version too.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Danny Boy
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Danny Boy a Yahoo! Message
I am an airline pilot and I pack a traveler.com in nylon...breaks monotony, especially when in wintery climates. Anyone know if the builder will re-do tuners to accomodate changing from nylon to steel strings...I am not liking nylon.....
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Danny Boy,
You may have to change more than njust the tuners to go from nylon to steel. Nylon fingerboards are generally flat, steel are radiused. String tension is higher with nylon, so bracing of top may not be strong enough, neck may warp/bend,. Width of neck much greater on nylon vs steel, and the nut and saddle will need replacement or alteration. that's just what i cna think of as i write....probably more things to consider. Like, maybe a whole different guitar:>

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

bikey
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi pickers,

On the subject of travel guitars I recently picked up a pretty unique instrument which approaches the problem from a different point of view. I bought a guitar called a Lapstick from Andy's guitar shop in London, England because it was the most compact guitar I had ever seen. The construction looked good and it wasn't too expensive so I went for it. It takes a little getting used to but I really wouldn't travel without it now. It is just so compact you can't believe it. Playing in a plane, even economy class is no problem and it has a built in preamp. I talked to the guy who makes them at www.lapstick.com and he gave me a few tips. He's still getting his act together but if you can't quite find what you're looking for then this could be it.
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  12:35:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all....know I'm coming in here late...but just picked up a Carlo Robelli SX Mini with gig bag on a sale for only $100. I liked it better than the applecreek or martin backpacer and I can place it in my locker at work. Just threw on some Martin Lights and presto..nice little cheapo fun guitar. Different strokes for different folks!...and pocketbooks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000