Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 First songs in slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  01:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm a slack key dabbler who's only played in taro patch tuning. A guy wandering by showed me the basics while I was playing in park a few years ago. I've been hooked ever since, but I'm curious what others think would be the simplest taro patch instrumentals to play by ear. Sitting for hours plinking out tablature until it sounds like a song doesn't appeal to me. I wonder what others think are the simplest two or three Hawaiian melodies to pick out yourself.
me ke aloha pumehana,
Jesse Tinsley

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  03:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,"Bruddah" Jesse,

Very good topic! Im sure everyone kinda have a favorite that they started of with, and maybe it's because, What ever song they might have heard for the first time, gave them the desire to TRY, and learn it.

Because I use to teach slack key in a High School, I had to experiment with the students for the first couple years. Everyone is different, Some will catch on faster then others
some can hear it better then others (slack key melodies). So to meet them (students)half way? I had to keep it very simple, Where both parties can benefit.(faster And slower ones.)

There were two songs that worked out for them. One was called "Manini" the other, "Salomila"
It was easy for them because, both songs no matter what verse it was, they all had the same melody. So if you played, Salomila? I would teach them the first verse,(instrumental only) and when we moved on to the next verse? You pick the same thing that you played, on the first verse. (did that make sense?)ha,ha,.

And that is because those two songs, like i said before, no matter what verse you play, each line has the same melody. And it seem easier for them that way. Just repeating is all what your doing. By the way, they were all done in Taro Patch Tunning. Oh! almost forgot,My first song was, "He Aloha No O Honolulu" Done in "Taro Patch" also.
Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Sitting for hours plinking out tablature until it sounds like a song doesn't appeal to me.
I agree with this 100% which is why my repertoire grows at a very slow pace. I do not have the patience or discipline to regularly sit down with tab and learn songs all the way through. I think a teacher would help me tremendously but unfortunately that is not an option right now.

So to get back, I'd recommend:
  • Ozzie Kotani's Kani Ki Ho`Alu which is the 1st song in his book
  • Silent Night works in taro patch tuning really nicely
  • Something like Ray Kane's Keiki Slack Key where you might be able to pick out the parallel 6ths (open & closed positions) of the melody

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Let me suggest that you get Led Kaapana's instructional video. The tunes he shows are lovely but mostly fairly easy, and give you a great catalog of licks up and down the neck. He provides tab but you have the benefit of watching his hands and listening to the tunes so you can get the tunes without the tab, or have the tab to get your over the tricky spots. "E Lili`u E" is especially sweet and simple, and "Slack Key Lullaby" is another gem of a tune that you can probably pick up by ear. "Kuu Ipo Onaona" has lots of variations, a bass run verse, and can be played at a hot tempo so you'll have a "show-off" tune if you need one.

From the Ozzie book, which I also recommend very strongly, I bet you can get "Manuela Boy" without ever looking at the tab, and probably several others too.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  3:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakahiaka All!

How''zit Bruddah's Kevin! Bruddah Ed K., and everyone else! Hapakid, taro-patch tuning is what I use the most too! And it was my 1st. slack key tune as well. Tabs are great if one has the patience, and or is very familiar with it. All the instruments I learned to play, I was taught basic chords and stuff, but everything else I picked-up by listening and watching! Like Brauddah Kevin, I too wish I knew both!

My advice to you as I may have mentioned of before (one time or an other) is No.1-no give up JUS'PRESS! No.2-play a guitar that you are very comfortable with. No.3-PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! No.4- if there are songs that you like alot, listen to them.....play them as often as it takes to be familiar with it. No.5-replay it in your mindset.....relax your fingers, loosen up the shoulders!

Take a breath......exhale, hear and feel the melody, and go with it....soft, soothing and gently. No.6-Don't try too hard to be exact! Feel the mood of the song your playing. Let it flow like water from a river.... Let your foot be your metronome. No.7-use the song as a guideline, and create a style that is YOU!

Once you get the bass-line (5/4 6/4 5/4 6/4) The melodies to all your favorite songs will fall into place. Trust me! A Hui Hou! REMEMBER: JUS'PRESS!!!!!!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  01:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thank you for the great tips and ideas. I do need to get a video or two. I've always learned the most when watching fingers instead of listening to recorded music. And it's easy to get stuck in a rut, playing same old turnarounds and intervals, if you don't have new input from lessons or from watching better players.
All of your comments inspire me to be more attentive to the skills involved. I spend most of my playing time just messing around with my island buddies who are stuck here in Idaho, too.
Aloha kakou,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Salomila is taught by Ronald Loo in his slack key notebook number 1 book and tape set (He Kalana Kakau Ki Ho`alu Helu `Ekahi). He spends 30-45 minutes (one whole tape) breaking down each song he teaches, so each song is more like a set of private lessons than like tab in a book (which he also includes). You may want to check these out as a resource as well.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/25/2002 5:37:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  01:46:05 AM  Show Profile
I think many of the songs of the Monarchy Period are pretty easy to pick out -- anf they are some of the most beautiful of the many wonderful songs in the Hawaiian repetoire. The real ket to them is playing with lots of feeling. They offer a lot of room for playing variations, ornaments, even composing little intros and reprises. My absolute favorite is Kapiolani's Ipo Lei Manu. (Check out Kekui Kanahele's latest version for a real "chcken skin" experience. I also think a song like Kalena Kai is very easy in Taro Patch and a lot of fun because it basically just alternates G and D chords, so its very easy to jam from.

I just read an article that made a lot of sense to me. Basically it said that guitar is a very difficult instrument to play. Just cause pracxtically half the people in the world strum a guitar doesn't mean that it is easy to play the guitar well. It takes work and practice. The only thing that makes the practice different from drudge work is that we enjoy the sounds we make so much we can ignore the work. But it still takes the work.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

The tunes I started out with in open G (taropatch) were, Hula Lady, Kalena Kai, Henehene kou aka, and Makee Ailana. All are relatively easy except for Hula Lady. Good luck!

Aloha,

Curtis Takahashi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000