Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Performing Solo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  05:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I am going to a 30th year reunion for a band I started (30 years ago obviously). I quit after three years, but they have continued (obviously) and have many members since. All the past members (me too) have been invited to a party at a bar w/stage and all will probably play. I have not played in public for over 20 years and if I play, I want to play a few Slack key songs.
Here is my question.
How can I prepare for playing in front of seasoned musicians after such a long time away from performing. I have never performed solo either. I am concerned about "breaking" and going blank, or having to stop and re-start. What can I possibly do to condition myself for this event?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Bob

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  05:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Robert,
Too bad you're not in SoCal. You could come by our Slack Key Open Mike and play before a supportive audience. We all make mistakes (and the other slackers know it) but we know how hard it is and offer encouragement to keep going or start again.
My suggestion would be to select the songs you can play vice the songs you think sound the best. Find a local Open Mike and "dive in". There is no other experience that will prepare you for most people's number one fear than to "just do it".
A couple of times I have been performing without adequately warming up or preparing and get to the first hard section and "crash and burn" . Most times I stop completely, take a deep breath and start all over -- the second time through usually goes off without a hitch. I think the "deep breath" and knowledge that you've already messed up, released the dam of self-doubt and the confidence tide comes back in.
I would also venture to say that any "new" song I attempt to play in public will have many mistakes (at least that I know of). The next time, there are fewer mistakes, and so on.

Here is the key: The vast majority of the listening audience has no clue how the music is written and will never catch your mistakes and omissions. If you "play through" the mistake and look like it was intentional you appear "brilliant". Your way to "jazz" it up, I guess.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  06:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
HB,
Remember that slack key is a personal and intimate storytelling art form, so take it slow, make it personal and tell the story to the audience. Don't try to play it just like the recording and don't play it too fast. If you break rhythm for some reason, make it a "dramatic pause". You'll be fine.
I also try to picture my favorite places in Hawaii as I play and that helps me feel the roots of the music.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  06:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Pick a song that you know well and are comfortable with. Maybe hit an open mic or play in front of friends. Sounds like you've been there before so just hop back on that bike and pedal... but as hapakid says, just "take it slow."

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  05:39:42 AM  Show Profile
All very good suggestions from experienced members. I feel more confident that I can prepare for this event now. My plan is to play for relatives and friends, and also use my video cam to make several non-stop performance videos. All new songs are off my list. Even though I do not consider this to be an easy piece, I may decide to finish with S. Sano's arrangement of "Ke Aloha O Ka Haku" because I can usually play it. It will also give me the opportunity to talk about the queen and give the story behind the composition.
All the songs I play will be on my "Scared to Death" album, due to be released soon...just kidding :)
Thanks for the help.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  09:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Bob,
One thing that helped me a lot was to jsut show up at a coffee house in the middle of the day and sit down and play quietly to myself, as if I were practicing. Some folks listened, some did not. The proprietors didn;t seem to mind (well, they aere friends, after all) but it was not intimidating at all,and I have since gotten over much of the willies I had previously> Also, when you do get in front of anybody, talk with them. Preferably before you get on stage; it's easier to play for friends than a bunch of folks you never saw before. A short story on each song is nice, too. Maybe where you first heard it, how you learned it, what it means to you, what the title means in hawaiian, etc..
Good luck

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:37:44 AM  Show Profile
You might want to check out a nursing home/convalscent/rehab center.
They are usually grateful for the entertainment, and you are doing a positive service.
Like others said, play what you know and don't try to "showboat."

Steve's arrangement is wonderful 'cause of its rich chords. Don;t take it too fast, and practice a bit with a metronone.

Remember to listen to yourself as you play - that helps me through some jitters.

(A "crash course" is to drink enough caffeine til you're shaking and practice - that way you'll be used to playing with a shaking hand. :) )

Good luck and have fun.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile
RJS,
Man I can see it now. .
Slacker drinks 10 cups of coffee. . . Plays Led Ka'apana's Whee Ha Swing in fast tempo.
Ambulance drivers are puzzled.
The guitar is irreparable.
Wife sobs.
Dog still sleeps.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  9:06:53 PM  Show Profile
I have found an open mic that is open on tues and thurs here in my town. This is what I am going to do:
1) I Took out all of my new songs
2) I am slowing the songs down a little and paying attention to executing with a relaxed tempo.
2)I am practicing the songs without stopping so that I have to deal with my mistakes...this one works very well because I am teaching myself to recover.
3) I am going to do some non-stop full performance video's with commentary this weekend (video will sub for an audience)
4) Finally, I am going to do both open mic's next week.

to RJS,
I am playing on the 13th and since you have heard my songs, I am playing them in this order: Kalena Kai, No Ka Po, and Ke Aloha O Ka Haku. I chose to play Ke Aloha O Ka Haku because I get so emotionally involved when I play it. I have also practiced it more than any other song that I play. As you suggested a while back, I have been trying to put space between the notes and relax the tempo.
And thanks again for your extended commentary on my playing.
To everyone else that helped, I think I am using most of your suggestions.
My Aloha to all...
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  05:22:02 AM  Show Profile

Mission accomplished!
My first ever solo perfromance!
I played to a crowd of approx 100 and it was very noisy. My Roland ac 60 was useless in this environment even right behind me as a monitor for me to hear (couldn't hear it). The sound man couldn't give me a decent monitor volume and I could barely hear myself play.
With my amp mic'd I was barely heard in the audience as well.
The first thing I did yesterday was trade in my little Roland on a single JBL EON-15 amplified PA speaker (400w). It only has 3 inputs and minimal controls, but wow is that thing awesome. It reproduces acoustic guitar as clear as anything I have ever heard...and it can definitely go large (loud) if I ever need that again.
I used all of the members' suggestions including two open mic's before hand. It didn't prepare me for having to play by "brail" for 100 people though. I played Kalen Kai, Mino'aka, and Ke Aloha O ka Haku. I did well and may I may even do it again soon.
Thanks again for passing on your experince.
It help me immnensely.

Aloha to all of you
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  08:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Bob,

Way to go! Glad to hear things went well and that you'll be going back for more. And thanks for posting the follow up with photo.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Congrats from me, too.
I guess part of playing out there is that you get all sorts of venues (unless you're in a position to be choosey) - with all sorts of crowds.
Even at my regular restaurant gig - some nights lots of connection with "audience" other times it seems as if they are there for food & conversation only.
Hope you enjoyed it enough to keep putting it out there
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  3:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I waited tables and realized that most folks are concentrating on what is directly in front of them, not anything else in the room! The musician's job is to add to the pleasant atmosphere, that's it. If you want to play for folks that will pay attention, go to a jam and let loose. Rermember: the trip to the gig is far more dangerous than the gig itself. Jus' press.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  6:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I messed Bob's photo before but now I fixed it. See above.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000