Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 JP strings for slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skinny1
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile
John Pearse makes strings specifically for slack key players. Here is the link...

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  2:41:23 PM  Show Profile
I understand that this is what Keola Beamer uses.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  2:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Upon further inspection . .
800 Slack Key [Open Tuning] $12.95 .013, .017, .024, .032, .045, .056
700M Medium $12.95 .013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .056

.. the fourth string is a lighter guage than normal Mediums.

I like to use a lighter guage for a softer feel and a lighter touch.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  02:31:43 AM  Show Profile
If you want to use JP strings, you will find that JP itself (himself)charges more for them than other outlets. FQMS (First Quality) has good prices (800s and 600s are both $6.35):

http://www.fqms.com/John_Pearse_C1065.cfm

And they are nice people, too.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi all..been a while...this is weird..I just happened to order some of these JP Slack key strings yesterday myself...haven't ever used them yet...got them cheaper also at juststrings.com I don't know if Keola uses them but James Taylor uses JP's. Anyone try these yet?
Aloha...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  04:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we tried them. We found that the heavier bass string gauge wasn't really successful on many of our guitars, which seemed quite happy with the normal phosphor bronze lights. The heavier top string gauges, however, are good on a couple of our guitars, giving a rounder, less thin tone than the lights. So we use mixed sets -- but I haven't bought the slack key sets in a very long time. In my opinion, it's a matter of the individual instrument, and if you find your normal strings flopping around when slacked, and what the resulting tone and playability is when you switch to the heavier gauge.
Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all...me again...finally put a John Pearse "Slack key" set of strings on my 1975 Guild G37BLD..WOW...nice deep bass..and rich tone....funny like I think Sarah said ..you have to just try them on your guitars..don't like them as much on my Ovation.I use JP 80/20 Bronze Wound Light Gauge on that...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  05:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ken,
Some of our guitars like D'Addarios. You could try them out, too, if your guitar doesn't need the heavier "slack" gauges.
-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah...I have heard alot of good things about D'Aaddarios guess I'll try them next..a heck of a lot of great guitarists use them. I use the deep bodied Guild for Slack key and the Ovation Balladeer for standard tuning Folk music..would like to find a set that sounds good for both types of music. It's really fun to play a few tunes in standard tuning then right in front of people tune down to drop G "Taropatch" and watch people get quiet and really listen!..though they probably start to listen because my pitiful singing has finally stopped and they are hearing an unfamiliar key new to them full of rich tones....to bad I only know about 5 Slack key songs! Workin on it though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000