Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Online TAB sale experiment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  3:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all --

I've put up a handful of TABs for sale online via my website: www.mark-o.com This is very much a work-in-progress, so let's see what happens.

In light of the recent, ummm, discussion, please read this disclaimer: All songs are PD to the best of my knowledge. All TABs are my original work and are copyrighted. Unauthorized duplication and swapping would be wrong...

Initial cost is $7.50 per TAB-- seemed like a nice compromise to me. Payment is via PayPal -- so it's a tad clunky, to say the least. Audio files are SMFs so you can get an idea of what you are buying. The six TABs (plus one free sample) range from very simple to quite challenging -- tunings are Taropatch, drop C, D major and D9th. All are PDFs - so you can download 'em & print 'em out.

If this works, I'll be posting all of my workshop materials, all of the text and lessons from my new (as in "never gonna be completed") book, plus TAB from my CD "The Water is Wide."

Check it out & tell me what you think.

Mahalo for supporting this.

Mark
www.mark-o.com

Edited by - Mark on 10/03/2006 3:02:09 PM

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  8:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Mark (and anyone else interested in one way of doing it)--Take a look at djangobooks.com, where Michael Horowitz has been selling gypsy-jazz lessons for a couple years now: PDF and MP3 combinations, $5 a pop. Some of them come from his Just Jazz Guitar articles, so it's a kind of recycling of materials, but they're well done and easy to acquire if you have a PayPal account. Seems like a reasonable business model to me.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  07:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Mahalo to Reid & Dusty for acting as beta testers.

As of 10:00 AM wednesday west coast time, the site is not working properly. You can make the payments, but you don't get the automatic redirect to the TAB pages. I'll see what I can do to fix it ASAP.

In the meantime, if you do order TAB, I'll just e-maill ya the pdf. I may end up going to that system anyway -- more work on my part, but also fewer evil robots.

Thanks for your patience!
****************************************************************************************

OK, as of 2:05 PM it's fixed. Mahalo to everyone who's helped.

The trick is to click the "Return to Merchant" link after you've completed the purchase. Oh, and be sure to refresh so you get the latest version of my website.

I'll be posting lots more TAB over the next few weeks.

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 10/04/2006 11:08:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile
Great idea. Thanks Mark.
n
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I just tried Pauoa Liko.
Mark, good system. Worked fine today. Nice job.
To all others - nice TAB, actually I think it is more simple than what I would call "intermediate" -- don't be put off by that designation. If you can play parallel 6ths (open/close) you shouldn't have trouble with this. Worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  05:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage
It worked great for me. I wish we had Mark playing instead of a midi file but I understand the technological difficulties in that. I am really looking forward to this kind of outlet for distributing tabs of classic songs. Good job, Mark!

Texas Ed
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  07:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I wish we had Mark playing instead of a midi file but I understand the technological difficulties in that.

Well, most of you guys know I'm incapable of playing a song the same way twice.... or even once, sometimes.

The SMFs play exactly whats on the TAB. I can't do that, sorry.

And you can download the MIDI files and set the speed as needed -- or transpose, rearrange and such. However, I will be posting some MP3s as I get the time. They'll be approximations of what's on the TAB.

I appreciate the comments and kokua about levels, etc.

Setting a level is pretty arbitrary -- and who's to say that my choices reflect reality. Here are my thoughts to give you some idea (these are similar to what we use at the Aloha Music Camp):

Beg is beginner. As in "Which way is up? How does my thumb work?" So fairly basic arrangements, mostly in Taropatch. Also excercises and lessons to learn picking, etc.

Beg/Int would be like many of the arrangements in Ozzie's book, or the first bunch in the one Keola and I did. More sliding, more syncopation.

Int is where the bulk of 'em will be: Maybe some different hand positions, maybe some tricky picking. But well within the level of most folks here on the 'Patch. Also excercises and lessons to teach improv -- which is what the "Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua" TAB is all about.

Int/Adv adds more syncopation, extended harmony, modulations, etc.

Adv is the hard stuff. Think "Aunty's Christmas Goose" from my CD.

You can get a pretty good idea how EZ or difficult a piece might be from listening to the SMF. I'd suggest ignoring the levels altogether and just choose a tune you want to learn.

Again, this is very much a work in progress, so mahalo to everyone who's supporting it. Lots more to come!

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 10/05/2006 08:00:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile
"You can get a pretty good idea how EZ or difficult a piece might be from listening to the SMF. I'd suggest ignoring the levels altogether and just choose a tune you want to learn."

Mark is right, once again (but I'll add a funny little dissent from one of his other Level comments - How could I not? - I wouldn't be me.)

I chose to buy Ahe Lau Makani, not because it was easy, but because Sarah and I were blown away by Jesse's version. We always liked Dennis', but we thought it was too "reverential", while Jesse struck just the right note. Sarah had started on it a few years ago from The Queen's Songbook, and had the words down, but couldn't get started on a guitar arrangement. Mark's is giving us both a leg up on that. His arrangement basically follows most of the beginning melody, adds some interesting harmony and then ends with a fairly different and new variation, plus ending. So, now we have a good starting point.

About the difficulty level: some of it is taking some getting used to for both of us, because it doesn't follow the picking patterns we are accustomed to. It was obviously written - especially the harmonies - by a pro guitarist used to Travis Picking, so, since some of the melody is on the bass strings, as well as the harmonies, the index finger is moving around in new ways, for instance. Pinch 2 bass strings with index and thumb, then move the index finger up to the 3rd string, etc., while we are used to alternating fingers, mostly. So, it doesn't just fall in our laps. But that is A Good Thing (tm). Nice to know how. Lots of slides and syncopation and multiple harmonies are old hat to us, but we have been grooved on about a half dozen picking patterns, so this is Int Level for us.

And we will certainly mix it up a lot and add more/different harmonies and variations.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  1:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha -

I've added a bunch more TAB, bringing the total up to 15. I've tried to take your comments into account, so there are a couple pretty EZ TABs, more classic repertoire like "Hi`ilawe," a little more variety and even a trio of extended duet arrangements.

I even found a few MP3s so you can actually hear what some of this stff sounds like played on a guitar instead of a robot.

Mahalo to every one who's tested the site and helped me track problems. I'll be posting more stuff over the next few weeks. And please keep the comments coming -- both good and bad. I'm a big boy.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  04:19:08 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Mark,

I ordered two of them great job on this thanks so much

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha All -

OK, nothing like a couple days in the sick bay to get a lot of back logged work done...

I've added a bunch more TAB to my website, bringing the total to 23 (well, 24 since Lei Pikake is a two-fer w/ 2 Tabs in different tunings.) I've also added a free chart with useful double stops in Taropatch & some info about what's still to come.

Here's what's there:

Pua Lena - a freebie
Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele
Moloka`i Waltz
Ahe Lau Makani
Po La`i E (Silent Night)
Maunaloa
Ku`u Ipo
Pua Sadinia
Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua
Kowali
Kaulana Na Pua
E Huli Ho`i Mai
Hi`ilawe
Kanaka Waiwai
Kealoha (duet)
Hula o Makee (duet)
Lei Pikake (oringinal song. Taropatch & F wahine)
Kimos Slack Key (duet)
Sanoe - two arrangements w/ different modulations
Las Blancas Flores (Californio song)
Playful Popoki
Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele (D 9 tuning)

Here's what I'll be adding in the next week or so:

The Water is Wide
Auntie's Christmas Goose
The Road to Duke's
Drizzle
Chord Theory & Harmony Lesson for Slack Key

Mahalos for your support. Let me know your thoughts on this.

http://www.mark-o.com/tabstore.html

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 11/10/2006 08:16:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha kakou -

I've added 4 more songs from "The Water is Wide" and grouped them together with the others - Sanoe and Las Blancas Flores.

New adds:

The Water is Wide: F wahine
Auntie's Christmas Goose: drop C
The Road to Duke's: taropatch
Drizzle: G6

There's also a new freebie bonus lesson waiting for you --- if you take the time to find it.

http://www.mark-o.com/tabstore.html

And stay tuned: I'm putting the finishing touches on a new CD and TAB book set w/ 24 classic slack key tunes.

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 12/09/2006 1:18:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile
And Mark,

It is an excellent idea to priovide MIDI files with the other materials. The gives the more-than-casual student the flexibility to change keys and tunings as well! (several MIDI apps can print Tab and also allow custom tunings)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/10/2006 08:31:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  5:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Count me in for the book!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Nice web site and a great idea, Mark!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Slow Poke
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  2:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mark,

I've tried several times to purchase Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua with my VISA. I've been receiving the error message "The credit card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit card number." I've check all the fields, tried both the Explorer and Netscape browsers, and checked the status on my card. Most the internet interfaces I've used before include the middle initial (which I have on my card) but your interface does not. Perhaps that's the source of the problem? I did try with and without my middle initial in the first name field. I don't really want to set up a Pay Pal account. I'll try again in a few days and see if I continue to have problems.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Dave in San Jose, CA

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000