Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Gary Haleamau
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if Gary is still doing any playing in public or any current recording? I was lucky enough to find one of his CDs on E-Bay (Hemolele) and it is absolutely wonderful. I saw him over a year ago in Henderson, NV at a show with Patrick Landeza, Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui, promoted by Don Narup. What a very nice man and some reall swell musician (and yodeler).

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  8:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Gary is an exceptionally nice man and has a great family that are also talented musicians and dancers. He and his band which includes a teriffic steel player (former Sons of Hawaii) Herb Hanawahine play for a few privte events and mostly for their church where Gary is the musical director.

What you saw that night was a rare and a classic event. There were over 45 people in the show. Probably one of the largest gathering of Slack Key performers dancers and musicians on the mainland in a long long time. It was Gary's first stage performance in many years.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  04:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Gary and his wife Sheldeen live and work in Las Vegas -- Sheldeen has her own halau, too. I know Gary occasionally plays when her halau performs, but...as yet...no new CDs from him.

Unfortunately, the record label which produced all his albums, closed up shop a few years ago. The only way to get Gary's recordings now, is to search, search, search for used CDs. BTW, an excellent online source is www.gemm.com (CDs _and_ vinyls).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I saw a Gary Haleamau CD at Borders in San Diego this week. I didn't get it because I wanted to check Auntie Maria's site first. I'm buying tomorrow for sure.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  05:34:44 AM  Show Profile
I saw Gary at NWFolklife Festival about 12 or 13 years ago. Great performer! Great falsetto and even yodelling and great guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  4:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of out of print CDs, they recorded a great one at the 1993 NW Folklife Festival -- "Ki Ho`alu Seattle Style".

If you can find a used copy of it, grab it! The folks at NW Folklife told me years ago, that they will not be re-issuing it:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/gary+haleamau/ki+ho%60alu+seattle+style/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Speaking of out of print CDs, they recorded a great one at the 1993 NW Folklife Festival -- "Ki Ho`alu Seattle Style".

If you can find a used copy of it, grab it! The folks at NW Folklife told me years ago, that they will not be re-issuing it:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/gary+haleamau/ki+ho%60alu+seattle+style/

Keep your fingers crossed, Auntie --- when I spoke with one of the programming staff at Folklife a couple months ago, they said they are looking into what it would take to re-issue it someday.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000