Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Passive Pick ups
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
So after digesting the 411, I had a Fishman passive transducer placed in my G String concert. What I appreciated about the luthier attaching the pick up, was that his experience led him to try different areas. For some ukuleles he found the better placement was not necessarily the standard recommendation. So he did try different areas i.e top and bottom. He invited me to move the pick up as he did not permanently stick it on-- which I could ask him to do later. Since I by no means have the ear, I trusted his judgement.
I also ended up purchasing a Pono concert with a built in under the saddle pick up. The difference was that if I lightly thump the ukulele, the transducer was more sensitive. So if you like to thump and want to hear it, go with the transducer. It is the cheaper way to add an inside pick up.
My other G String SAB concert is in the shop awaiting a Fishman under saddle passive pick-up. The work is being done by another luthier. I'll follow up when I get the ukulele back. I'm trying the other luthier to appreciate his work. (No complaints with the first one.) The other luthier has added Fishman active pick ups. And the under saddle passive job is somewhat similar. However we both found out that Fishman required different measurements in customizing the pick up. So I expect to pay more.
I did not go with an active pick up because I did not want to have a battery (and the extra wiring) inside my ukulele, although I was told you won't be changing the battery often and more important sound isn't affected. The passive pick up may not be as clean with respect to "noise". However one can add an outside pre-amp (which I did). The battery is easier to change for the pre-amp. No strings to loosen and no small puka for my fat hand to pull out battery. The other benefit of an outside pre-amp is now I have volume control and EQ adjustments. A plain simple active pick up doesn't provide these controls. I can also change ukuleles without having to lower volume on the amplifier. I just kill the volume on the pre-amp, plug out and plug into the other ukulele. (Of course, with a larger tenor body adding an active pick up with controls is the way I would go. I especially like the ones where the battery is accesible at the pick up--again no strings to loosen and no small puka.)
But my Pono has an under saddle pick up. My Pono ukulele is not as bright and projecting as my Koalohas or G Strings. And for that same reason that's why I still like it. I call it my quiet uke. I appreciate its softness.
And that's the way it is. Just remember too, pick ups amplify your mistakes. So practice, practice, practice.
Aloha,
Genaro

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've put in a few transducers though I'm not a luthier or expert. But to get more information about the placement of the pickup I have used a doctor's stethoscope and passed it around the top while strumming. I look for overall volume and balance.
If you're going to be playing in a loud amplified environment, transducers aren't a good idea because it will pickup noise from other instruments and feed back a lot.
I've used, with success, the basic Schaller pickup, which comes wired to a jack for about $35 and puts out a hot signal.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000