Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Mele Ukes...any thoughts?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
A local store here that specializes in Hawaiian products is going to be selling Mele ukuleles. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the Mele brand and what your opinions might be. Where I live there are very few options when it come to buying Ukes. Most are just cheap low priced ukes that are just above tourist quality. Looking at their website, it seems that these are a viable option for someone that wants a quality instrument. I'd love to hear your opinions.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Podagee57!

I know a couple of folks here that own Mele ukes and really like them. I've also been to their store on Maui and test drove a few of them (on my way to the airport) and liked them. Since I didn't have enough time to decide on buying one, I can't give you a full report on each model I played. However, the overall quality and sound was very good for the prices they were asking (mid range). Only you will know what your preferences will be, so good luck on your decision. I am also in the market for a uke, and the choices are mind-boggling! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  06:14:27 AM  Show Profile
I've had a pineapple soprano, Mele on the headstock, Braddah Ukes on the label, ukulele for 3-4 years now. It sounds good and is well but not meticulously made, a very nice uke. If you get a Mele, you'll be happy with it.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  06:30:27 AM  Show Profile
I have a Mele 8 string mahogany with a double puka. It has a good sound and is pretty easy to play. It is not a KoAloha, Kamaka, Martin, or ...., but it is a good solid uke. Like Pauline said, you probably will be happy with it. To your point, there may not be many choices in your neck of the woods...give them a try, you might be pleased at the Mele price point.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
To further expand on RobO "not a KoAloha, Kamaka...", the Mele ukulele that I heard is not as bright and therefore doesn't project. Seems players with dance groups like loud ukuleles. And maybe there is a Mele that is brighter. I also did hear a 4 string a double puka model at Aloha Music Camp I attended last winter, and it sounded good to me. Try them out and see if it's what you like.
As I mentioned in another topic I have a Pono which is not loud, and for its quietness still has a nice sound.

aloha nui,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I've had a six-string tenor Mele for about four years, and I'm very happy with it. It's my primary uke (out of three.) I don't play often enough to have "earned" a Kamaka yet, but I picked up this Mele at a shop on Kaua`i; I tried out about a dozen ukes and the Mele gave me the best sound for my purposes - which is primarily strumming chords while singing for hula dancers. I've also recently changed to Worth strings, which definitely added some warmth to the overall sound.
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I have checked out a Mele concert , that a friend has . I was surprised at how thin the neck was . Good sound and feel , he is very happy with it. Another person showed me his 6-string Mele , he was also very pleased with his uke. Try it out and see what kind of price you can get . You won't be spending the money you would for a Koaloha or Kamaka . You can also shop the internet for all kinds of ukes and prices. Downside is you won't be able to play/hear what you are buying.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  06:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Mahalo to all of you for your input and advice. Now I can't wait til' he gets them in stock. Next decision I'll have to make is whether to buy a tenor 4 string (have an 8 string) or try a baritone.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000