Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keola's "Spider" exercise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  6:40:16 PM  Show Profile
A few days ago Mike ele mentioned Keola’s “spider” exercise. I too have found it beneficial, and use it regularly as part of my warm-up routine. Let me try and explain it.

The basic idea is to alternate fingers playing the second and fifth strings moving up the neck. Start at the first fret – second string, third fret – fifth string, using your index and ring fingers.

Next step is at the fourth fret – second string, and second fret – fifth string, played with your middle finger and pinkie.

Next go to the third fret – second string, and first fret – fifth string using your index and ring fingers.

Next go to the second fret – second string, and fourth fret – fifth string, played with your middle and pinkie.

Then back to the beginning, first fret – second string, and third fret – fifth string.

Move up one fret and start the process over again. Once you get the hang of it you’ll understand why it’s called the “spider.”

This reads a lot more complicated than it really is. Hope it makes sense.

Mahalo nui loa, Keola.

Aloha

Larry

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  3:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Thanks for posting this Larry!

I'll try this as soon as I get home. Does it matter what tuning you are in?
Keola's C?

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Tuning does not matter. The exercise will not sound good.

I recall most of the class thinking of this more like "spider" torture rather than exercise. Maybe I should revisit it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  7:19:56 PM  Show Profile
It really is a good stretching excercise. I'm glad I used it, and occasionally go back to it as a warm up. No dis intended to Keola, but I have found identical excercises in two classical guitar instruction manuals that predate Keola's birth.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  03:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I am with Andy. In 2001 Keola convinced me that it was a good idea to learn the "crab", AKA spider. And we did it in class and to prep for class. At home, I did it for a few days and went out of my mind listening to it. So, I stopped because it occurred to me that there were lots of songs that excercised your fingers in the same way BUT, they gave enjoyment because they sounded good. And enjoyment of sound is what this thing is all about, for me. That excercise, and others, like that similar hammer-pull off semitonal one, can build technique, but it is only one way to do it, and a purely artificial one at that. If you can stand it, go for it, but don't do it around me :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks Larry. Cool exercise.

Do you play the index and ring fingers at the same time? In other words, is it two notes simultaneously (i.e. 1st and 3rd fingers simultaneously, then 2nd and 4th fingers simultaneously)?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  04:55:26 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

You do them simultaneously. It's harder that way :-) To begin trying to do the exercise playing the notes sequentially (giving one time to find the position) is easier.

Also, at the start, one can do it up at the 5th fret, where the frets are closer together (or wherever on the fretboard works). And then over time work down to the more challengingly spaced frets.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000