Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Radio Hula song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile
I want to know if Dennis Kamakahi recorded "Radio Hula" in slack key. I can't find any album of his that has this song. Was it connected some way with the movie "Lilo and Stitch?" I did find this song in "Kalo Man", an album by Ikaika Brown. I'd like to buy this album plus the one I think Dennis has that includes this memorizing song. I'm brand-new to taropatch and this is my first post. Any help re: this beautiful instrumental song greatly appreciated. btw this song goes back to the 20's but in slack key it has a very contemporary- sounding melody.
again, mahalo and
Aloha
Eddie

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  7:21:43 PM  Show Profile
oops, should read: "mesmerizing"
sorry
Eddie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  12:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
When someone mentions "Radio Hula" I think most of us probably first think of Ledward Ka`apana. He credits his instrumental arrangement of the song to his uncle, Fred Punahoa.

One place to do research for song titles and artists is http://www.mele.com

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Dennis Kamakahi has not (yet) recorded "Radio Hula" -- but in addition to Led, the song has been recorded in slack key by John Keawe, George Kuo, and by Led's sister, Lehua Kaapana Nash.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Yup!, Eddie...I don't believe Dennis has done a version of R-Hula, (his son, David can play a killer version of it, although not many people have heard it) . Led & Lehua both have great versions of it. Led's version, I believe is in Mark Hansen's book, its very nice, one of my favorites. Check it out.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eddie,
I think I still own 'Ikaika Brown's 2 CDs, but have loaned them out (sob). I went to Mele.com to buy them again, but they are out of print. I wonder if Auntie Maria, or maybe Uncle Kevin could induce him to do a reprint.
Picking up Mark Hansen's book would be very useful. I'm assuming you've already gotten Ozzie's book. Keola Beamer's (with Mark Nelson too) work is a good place to go after mastering these. For DVDs, Keoki Kahumoku and John Keawe have put out excellent learning material; and then go get slack tracks so you can practice with others at home.
I'm a very slow learner.... but it's sure fun.
n
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Led's version, I believe is in Mark Hansen's book, its very nice, one of my favorites. Check it out.

Make that one of Led's versions -- he never plays it the same way twice.

BTW: In Mark Hanson's book, the "bridge" or middle section is part of "Moana Chimes." Sometimes Led pays homage to Leonard Kwan with a dandy little bit of "Yellow Ginger Lei" as the middle section.

So after you learn "Radio Huula," be sure to mix it up a bit and make it your own!

BTW: Does anybody know the copyright info on this tune? I've drawn a blank.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Radio Hula was originally written as a hula with verses. It celebrates the way the serial dramas sponsored by the soap companies (therefore "soap operas") had a way of uniting people.
It was written by Lizzie Alohikea
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Radio Hula was the first Slack Key song I ever heard. Except I downloaded a song with a title of "Hawaii" and mesmerizing certainly describes it. I played it over and over for days. It was about a month before I found out it was something call Slack key and the song was Radio Hula

It was Sonny Chillingsworth playing and I highly recommend listening to his version

Dennis and David adapted a song called "Always" for Lilo and Stitch and it plays when the credits role at the end on the movie. But you can go to Dennis's web site and it plays when you open his page

Thanks for the Plug Nancy. We are selling the songs individually with tabs now at www.slacktacks.com

Edited by - Ianui on 10/22/2006 3:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile
A clue as to which version I'm looking for is that at the very end of the song, maybe around the last 20 seconds, there is a very soft keyboard playing in the background. It's barely audible, but it adds a beautiful accompaniment to the slack key artist.
And guys, I don't play da geetar, sorry. I'm simply a guy who loves Hawaiian music, in most forms, but especially slack key. My only connection to guitar is that both my sons play it, one professionally, and two grandsons who are studying classical guitar. I do play drums for the Los Gatos Police Dep't. Pipe and Drum Band. Mark, I wouldn't think there is a copyright to this song as it's been around since the 1920's. Wouldn't it be in the public domain by now?
Eddie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
If you're available, check out the monthly open mic near Santa Clara U - there's always an announcement for it posted. -- lots of good local talent
Go to Top of Page

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Raymond, I was advised by Art S. that there is a coffee shop in Santa Clara where every 2nd Tue. of the month there is an open mike session. Is this the venue you're referring to? Just where is this place anyways? I most definitely plan to make it there.
Oh, and Sonny says hello (he's a co-worker)
Eddie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Good man, Sonny. Tell him "hi" back.

venue is Mission City Roasting, or something like that. It's on The Alameda - if you are coming from 880, it's just before the Alameda splits to go around the university - the old motels are on your right, the coffee shop is on your left on the corner.
2nd. Tues of each month. Music starts at 7:15. Come early to meet folks. Good drinks and food.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile
E komo mai Eddie,

If you check the "Performance" section and open up any of the South Bay Open Mic threads, you'll find the info you need to get to Mission City Coffee Roasting Company. Yes, it's the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Great fun! Hope to see you there.

Now, back to Radio Hula,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 10/23/2006 3:49:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Mission City, hope to make it the next time.
Now got another question. What's the rule re: posting pictures? Are photos only posted on the Share-A-Link forum? I went there and noticed it's awfully quiet there. I got some neat pictures of Makaha Sons at the SHOPO luau 2 years ago. Also pics of the Kamakahis and Browns in last month's concert in Redwood City. Anywayz, I'd like to know da rules before I post 'em.
Oh, and before I forget, remember the Ewa Beach Little League World champions of last year? My two sons played for the team. Not the winning team, but when they were in Kaimiloa Elementary and Ilima Middle Schools in Ewa Beach many years ago. We never in a million years ever think the team would have accomplished such a feat.
Eddie

Added by Admin 10/24/2006...

#458 was taken at the HPD SHOPO Luau, 12-04 at the NBC. I was not able to get John or Moon, but a year or so later, when they performed in San Jose, I managed to get them to pose with my two adopted granddaughters.

btw, the '04 picture was taken during our vacation to Hawaii. We actually were celebrating the adoption by taking the girls on the NCL Fanning Island 11-day cruise. Before we sailed, we visited friends and relatives in Oahu. I didn't included the pic of me and Jerome 'cause after I looked at it saw it was not a very clear photo. Oh, the girls were 10 and 11 when we went to Oahu. Nora is the youngest, Lori is the oldest.

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  05:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Eddie,

You might ask Andy (Admin) to post a picture or two for you. Your best bet is to have server storage somewhere where you can place your pics then reference them with the "image" tag in this forum. I use a .Mac account, but there are a myriad of others.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000