Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 two of my favorite songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dennyb
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  7:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Does any one know if there is a TAB Lesson or any kind of instruction of two of my Favorite Slack Key Guitar Songs?
"E Ku'u Morning Dew" and "Imi Au Io Oe"
both songs by Keola Beamer
Thanks

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  04:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Denny,

I have not seen either in a book, video or online lesson. Since you like Keola's arrangements, have you visited www.kbeamer.com? Or maybe Mark Nelson, here, knows?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  05:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Denny,
E'Ku'u Morning Dew is in Keol'a archive and available as a special order. It is in tab form only but the timing is easy to figure out. Contact his people on the web site and they will get it for you. Since special orders cost $20 you may as well ask to have it signed too. It ia a very good arrangement.
As for the other song, I'll bet it is available too.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

dennyb
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks
I will check at keola's website
Mahalo

dennyb
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  8:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Dunno how to post tab. My version of "Imi A'u Ia O'e" is based on Keola Beamer's. It's in what I call the "key of 'L' "... for Leonard [Kwan] & Ledward [ Ka'apana] - open G/taropatch with C bass. Not real hard to figure out the arrangement, but some lh stretches can be a challenge at first. One of my favorite slack key pieces. Tune to the record, give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  03:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to be a party pooper but feel compelled to post the Taropatch.net policy on posting tabs from the FAQ...
quote:
Can I share music and/or tabs here? Does Taropatch.net have a policy on copyrighted materials?
Taropatch.net does not allow its members to broadcast offers or requests for illegally copied materials to its community. Although this site supports the perpetuation of slack key guitar and `ukulele traditions in many ways, Taropatch.net must protect itself from the potential legal problems associated with copyright infringement of published materials. We believe there is too much good here to risk losing over intellectual property issues. Moreover, it is important to respect the works of artists and teachers so that they may come and share in the aloha and information exchange here too.

Original works by Taropatch.net members, works in public domain, and/or those used with the necessary written permissions of the original artist/publishers may be posted. All others may not be posted. Thank you for complying with this policy and making this website a friendly, informative and interesting resource.

I hope dennyb gets to learn these songs. Unfortunately, several 'tab sites' have been closed down recently, and I want to steer clear of potential problems that brought those sites down.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

dennyb
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Info (warning on tab)

For E Ku'U Moring Dew
I did tune my guitar to Old Mauna Loa tuning ( C-G-C-G-A-D)
I figured out most of the pharsing and harmonics.
what a beautiful resonating tone this tuning has.

Does anybody know any other songs in this tuning?

goodtimes
dennyb
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  10:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Almost every detail you ever wanted to know organized by a preeminent musician:

http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook-tableofcontents.php

Specifically for this tuning, Winston only lists the one you already have, but look at the other pages to get search hints:

http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook5-hirecordingscbb.php#C25

And, there are other closely related tunings listed that would probably give you the resonant effects that you like about this tuning.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Denny,

Uncle Raymond Kane performs "E Ku'u Morning Dew" on his instuctional DVD put out by Bruce Lamb. There's no tab with the DVD but the video shows Uncle Raymond's hand's clearly and it's fairly easy to pick up. Best of luck to you and yours.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  07:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Also, when you are looking for the song on the Web, it might help to use the correct title. The song that started with the words "E Ku'u Morning Dew" was named just "Morning Dew". This is the name that this song was originally published with and is the registered copyright name. More recently some people have used a different title on their CD releases. If you look up the original recording and other older recordings they will have the original title (as does the Dancing Cat website listed above).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/07/2006 08:14:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
More recently some lazy people (who do not wish to look up the correct names for songs) have mistakenly put the incorrect title on their CD releases.

Hmmmm... The clearance department at Mel Bay Publications asked Eddie Kamae & Hawaian Sons Music for rights to publish my arrangement of the song. The title used, and granted, is "E Ku`u Morning Dew." © 1973 Hawaiian Sons, inc.

I'm not sure that makes me, or the legal staff at Mel Bay, lazy or not. But it does kinda cloud the issue.

"Lazy bones, sleeping in the shade
How ya gonna get your cornmeal made?"

m

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Some research results:

According to the PTO the original title was indeed Morning Dew first registered in 1976.

Interestingly: it is also registered as "Alone Once More" at that same time.

However, Jay Larrin and Eddie and Myrna added new English Lyrics and then re-registered as "My Morning Dew" in 1981 .
(But not E Ku'u Morning Dew). This was of course, much later, years after many other performers had recorded it.

So I guess you can call it at least three different names based on Copyright office info (strangely,none of which is E Ku'u Morning Dew), and based on which version you intend to represent.

But as far as Lawyer's taking your money for rights, they will be happy to take your money no matter what you call it!!
(and I am sure that Eddie and Larry won't mind too much if they get a little bit of the Kala as well, they certainly deserve it)

I myself, will keep calling it just "Morning Dew" as that was the original title and version released by the Sons of Hawaii.

Text from the copyright office:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Works Database (Author Search)
Search For: KAMAE, EDDIE
1 Item

1. Registration Number: PA-119-318
Title: My morning dew / [music] by Eddie Kamae ; lyrics by Myrna

Kamae, Jay Larrin, and Eddie Kamae.
Imprint: Honolulu : Hawaii Sons, [c1976]
Description: 3 p.
Claimant: Hawaii Sons, Inc. (trade name: Hawaii Sons Publishing Company)
Created: 1981
Published: 5Oct81
Author on © Application: new lyrics: Jay Larrin, pseud. (J. D. Dodd); new music: Hawaii Sons, Inc.

Previous Related Version:
Prev. reg. as Morning Dew & Alone Once More, 1976, EP360322 et al.

Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "new English lyrics & some revisions to the music."

Special Codes: 3/M
Cross Reference: Jay Larrin , pseud. SEE J. D. Dodd , 1944-.

cHawaii Sons, Inc. SEE Hawaii Sons Publishing Company.

Home | Contact Us | Legal Notices | Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) | Library of Congress

U.S. Copyright Office
101 Independence Ave. S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20559-6000
(202) 707-3000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. How ya gonna get things done...
Sleepin in tha noonday sun...

....How bout something energetic... a little Bocce perhaps?

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/07/2006 1:13:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Interesting to see what different resources and references will tell you. Looking at Brett Ortone's wonderful 1999 "Island Music Source Book" (which I really wish were updated or online), it gives 20 listings of the song having been recorded as "E Ku`u Morning Dew," and 26 as "Morning Dew" (only one of which includes "Aloha Once More," parenthetically.)

On the other hand, looking through the library of Hawaiian recordings I can access at work, I find only one "Morning Dew," but 20 "E Ku`u..." examples.

I don't believe we'll ever find one definitive answer to this question, and there can be multiple "correct" answers, of course.

=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
[

....How bout something energetic... like botchi ball?

Bocce in the Italian `olelo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  1:14:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Bocce in the Italian `olelo.
I sit corrected!

That was an attempt to quote from a 1972 recording.
If you can name the recording and the Artists, you win the prize.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Just a few miles on the other side of the border (which didn't used to be the border 150 years, or so, ago) bocce is known as petanque or boules, and must be played under the shade of a large tree with a cloudy glass of cold pastis close to hand. Then a nap. Then soupe de poisson avec aioli,une baguette et une bouteille de vin blanc de pays. Then a nap. Then some further sorts of fun. Then a nap.

http://www.petanque.org/

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000