Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Thanksgiving Kanikapila in SF Bay Area
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Come and join us for a Kanikapila in American Canyon, Ca (near Vallejo, Northern Cal) on Saturday, November 25th from 12noon til 7pm @ the Las Casitas Mobile Home Clubhouse, 3000 Broadway Street, American Canyon, CA.

The DeLaura Ohana will be hosting this event and I'll be doing the MC-ing stuff. Since Art & Nani will be out of town the end of this month, therefore no Kani @ Nani's, Uncle Bobby DeLaura has graciously offered this venue for a Kanikapila. Mahalo Uncle!!!!

There will be food so we will need some idea of who's comming. Please RSVP by posting a response to this link. We hope to see all the regulars as well as some new faces.

Directions from North:
Take I - 80 south to American Canyon Road exit
follow until you reach Broadway about a block before
you reach Sonoma Blvd., CA-29
Take a left on Broadway pull in first driveway to Las Casitas
Mobile Homes.....park in parking lot to the right with white
lines.............Kanis is at the Clubhouse, you are there....

Directions from South;
Take I - 80 north to Columbus Parkway/Marine World
Follow to Sonoma Blvd., CA -29 Napa exit, turn right
Follow to American Canyon Road exit, turn right
Follow the Broadway Street about one block turn right
Pull in first driveway to Las Casitas Mobile Homes......
Park in parking lot to the right with white lines............
Kani is at the Clubhouse, you are there.............

See there, Sil

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Sil
Mahalo for posting....E komo mai kakou a me kani ka pila i American Canyon............Come join my ohana....we will have plenty kaukau and the club house is very roomy....will hold alot of bodies....so bring your ohana,a'ole pilikia......Everyone is welcome...........
Hope to see all of you there, it will be plenty of fun............
Aloha
Bobby DeLaura

bob delaura
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Uncle Bobby,

I'm planning to come with one of my sons. Thank you so much for welcoming all of us, and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of your 'ohana. Some of the folks from the Vacaville kani may be coming too. Let us know what we can bring. This is going to be one good time!

Mahalo,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Doug

No need to bring anything but yourselves, everything will be provided by my ohana

Lots of food and beverage.....no beer or liquor though, not permitted, however, our celebrations do not include liquor anymore, anyway...........

There will be a treat from the island of Oahu, my Aunty Mona Teves, will be here to join us and she is very msically talented, she belongs to the group "Leo Nahanahe" and if asked I am sure she will perform for us........so wahine e komo mai a me hele i ka hula ia kaua

Mahalo

Uncle Bobby

bob delaura
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  2:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Aloha DeLaura Ohana and mahalo plenty for setting this up. Wuz good seeing you all last night at the Open Mike and as I mentioned then, I'm not sure if I will be able to make it but I will certainly try my best. Hey, free grinds - gotta make 'em! But you know what they say, "If can, den can - if cannot, den cannot". A hui hou...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 11/15/2006 2:02:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile
As Uncle Bobby mentioned, we are going to be in for a real treat with Aunty Mona Teves from Oahu joining us at the kanikapila. If you’re not familiar with her, attached are a couple of links regarding Aunty Mona and the Leo Nahenahe Singers.

The first link is “A Prairie Home Companion” show from the Hawaii Theater in Honolulu on January 5, 2002: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/20020105/index.shtml . You can hear their wonderful, old-style singing and playing. On the home page, there’s a very nice photo of Aunty Mona playing upright bass. Interestingly, also on that show are Uncle Ledward Ka’apana, Uncle George Kahumoku, Jr., and Keoki Kahumoku. The whole two-hour show is excellent, and we’re fortunate Public Radio archived it.

The second link is a related January 5, 2002 Honolulu Advertiser article: “Keepers of the folk music from Old Hawai’i”: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jan/05/il/il01a.html . The third link is to their classic 1965 Christmas album: http://www.mele.com/music/artist/noelani+mahoe+&+na+leo+nahenahe+singers/hawaiian+christmas/ .

On a side note, the monthly kanikapilas that we have here in the Bay Area (including “Kani at Nani’s” in Hayward and “Cowtown Kanikapila” in Vacaville), and this upcoming one, are open to all levels (and ages) of players, singers, and dancers. If you’re a beginner or don’t even know any Hawaiian songs, no shame--bring your instrument and play along--that’s how we all learned (and are still learning). The folks are full of aloha and appreciate the participation. They even welcome my elementary-aged boys to sing and play, amplified and all.

A big Mahalo to Uncle Bobby, his brother Uncle Ernest, and the rest of the DeLaura 'ohana for inviting us to their family party. I'm excited already!

Aloha,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 11/16/2006 08:19:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I just fixed the second link--there's no period after the end of the link. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mahalo,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 11/16/2006 08:21:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo a nui loa Art a me Doug for your post.........

As Doug has stated this event is for everyone to come and participate............................................

In addition to the Kani Ka Pila, we are having an open performance session so we will have initial sign-ups for those who would like to showcase your talents..................................

Everyone come and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha Kakou

Uncle Bobby

bob delaura
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  5:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Bobby,
Mahalo for the opportunity; Diana and I are planning to attend. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e ka po`e kama`aina Hawai`i a me ka po`e malihini Kaleponi!

I hope you all have a great time. Gee, I'm so jealous, I wish I could be there to kanikapila with you all.

It's so nice to see people actually carrying on the traditions of Hawaii Hawaiian-style. Mahalo Sil for your ho`omanawanui and your kokua in helping `anakala Bobby folks allow this event to take place, esepcially for those who might not have anywhere specail to go on this special occasion.

Well, while you all are there celebrating the day to be thankful for all that you have in your lives, I am here in Hawai`i doing the same with my familia!

Sorry, Sil! Wish you were here. Got some REAL ono kanikapila action happening here, too. One day you all have to come while I'm here so I can take you all to many kanikapilas here in Hawai`i nei.

He wahi leka mahalo wale keia i mea e kako`o ia `oukou pakahi e ho`omau na mea Hawai`i like `ole kekahi i kekahi.

Aloha!

Kalae (Bobo)
Go to Top of Page

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bobo

Mahalo a nui i ka mana'o

Hau'oli La Ho'omaika'i

A hui hou a me malama pono

Anakala Bobby

bob delaura
Go to Top of Page

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  4:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Kakou

I would like to thank all of you who came out participated the combo kanikapila & open mic ohana ho'olaule'a

Special thanks for Sil and Genaro..........................
Aunty Mona had a good time, as well as all my ohana............

It was great that we could share our "Aloha" with each other, talking stories and playing music............

Aloha Kakou ame Malama Pono

Anakala Bobby

bob delaura
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  12:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Bobby, Uncle Ernest and the whole Delaura Ohana for a wonderful day. I had a great time at the Kani and can't tell you all how much we enjoyed Aunty Mona's participation. What a lovely woman with so much Aloha and talent to share with all who attended. We certainly felt welcomed by her and the whole Ohana and really enjoyed the Delaura Ohana's performance too! Wow, and so much kau kau! Like another Thanksgiving feast. Sil did a great job of setting up the sound equipment and leading the whole kani. Phew, what a job. I commend you Sil and Mahalo for all you did.
And a great big Mahalo to Bobby for hanging on to my ukulele, which I forgot I had left on the table, when spending so much time visiting and saying goodbye after loading up the car. We got all the way home, 25 miles, and realized I hadn't put it in the car. We made some calls and when we got back to the club house, sometime later due to heavy traffic, dearest Bobby was there waiting for us with my uke. What a guy!
Hope you can all make it to Vacaville for the Dec. 10 kani, Noon to 4 pm.
Aloha,
Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile
To the Delaura Ohana, thank you for hosting such a delightful holiday gathering! It was a treat to meet many of you, play music together and hear Aunty Mona and the whole family perform. The food was superb; I couldn't believe the desserts that kept magically appearing in the kitchen! And a special thank you to Sil for enthusiastically organizing the music.
Mahalo nui loa,

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Uncle Bobby and Uncle Ernest,

A very belated mahalo for inviting us to your family gathering. Pono and I had a great time, and the whole DeLaura ‘ohana made us feel at home. The food was so ono and the kanikapila was a blast, with a lot of the Vacaville and “Kani at Nani’s” gang there. What a privilege for us not only to see Aunty Mona perform but also to sing and play along with her.

Hearing Aunty Mona sing with her daughter Noelani was real chicken skin. Uncle Bobby mentioned that Noelani, who came from the Big Island, rarely sings in public, so we were real lucky to hear her beautiful voice. And of course the DeLaura ‘ohana singing the song written generations ago by one of their ancestors was very special.

Bruddahs Sil and Genaro, mahalo for all of your help in setting up the equipment, and Sil for leading the kani. The combination kanikapila and open mic format worked very well—best of both worlds. Aunty Mona had such kind words of praise, encouragement, and wisdom for us Kaliponi players. How cool. No one could fault us for enthusiasm!

Again, a big mahalo to the whole DeLaura ‘ohana for welcoming us and sharing your aloha.

A hui hou,

Doug & Pono
Go to Top of Page

kaiu3
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou

mahalo a nui e Doug a me Pono i ka nani olelo

I have some pictures that will be posted shortly of some of the of

action at the Thanksgiving Kanikapila