Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Prairie Home Companion - Honolulu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Garrison's not perfect (that wealth is a real problem--wish I were so flawed), but every musician I've talked to who has worked with or for him agrees that he treats the talent quite well, and has since the early days of the show, when it was still just local public radio. He has a terrific ear for good music and musicians--better, I think, than his ear for poetry (for those who hear "The Writer's Notebook" on NPR). The guy may tawk funny (to my ear his Minnesotan is too mixed with Radio Standard to match what I hear every day). But what do I know--my own speech is upstate NY overlaid with four decades of two different patches of Midwest and a big dollop of Missippi and Texican. I can assure everyone that getting Hawaiian even approximately right is a big challenge for anyone raised on the machine-gun delivery and nasal vowels of upstate New York (Saircuse, to be precise).

Edited by - Russell Letson on 11/27/2006 1:49:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Russell, you are too kind to GK. For instance, last Sat. he had Wayne Henderson on, who is a kind of legend, including a literary one. It turns out that a very good friend of mine has played quite a bit with Wayne and has spent some time with him and the author of the book that brought him to the attention of the public (I can send you pix). So what did GK do? Give Wayne one solo in which he ripped.I could have listened all night to him, as lots of lucky people do. Then, GK went through a short pro forma Q&A about Clapton's guitar which lasted about 30 secs. and Wayne then got to play backup with the "ensemble" of the rest of the musicians. 99% of the 2 hours was GK synthetic blather.

So, my friend is gonna have Wayne build him one and is just hoping that time doesn't run out before it is built.

GK is an industry; don't forget that. And, like most industries, sucks us in with loss leaders and then takes advantage of us.

Of course, I don't have to listen, but the loss leaders always suck me in.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000