Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Emma Veary
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  4:00:06 PM  Show Profile
I would imagine most of you guys are fairly young and may not have even heard of Emma. I recently bought a CD "The Best of Emma" I had forgot how beautiful a voice she has. How is she? Is she still performing? Anyone that has not heard this wonderful operatic voice sing Hawaiian songs has missed a unique singer. I remember when she used to perform at the Royal Hawaiian. Ho, but I was too poor for go see her there.
Eddie
from her album: "First we hear the words in the song, then we hear the song in the words. Emma's lyrical images are musical windows through which we behold the heart and soul of these enchanted Islands in the Pacific."

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Eddie,

Several years ago Auntie Emma came and graced us with her presence at Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp at Kalani Honua on The Big Island. I was thrilled to hear her sing in person, it was an unbelievable treat for us mainlanders. I bought her CD right away from mele.com (who else? )

That's the thing about these music workshops, you never know who is going to show up as a surprise!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

I would imagine most of you guys are fairly young

chuckle...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  12:44:34 PM  Show Profile
double chuckle...

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile
So Dusty and Reid, are you fellows over 50 yet????

Chuckle....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

double chuckle...

...Reid

Not counting "Hawaii Calls" which I heard on the radio, I first heard real Hawaiian music May 15th, 1956, over 50 years ago. Ok, ok, so I'm over 68 yrs old, don't mean nothing as I look 48, feel 28 and when I go to Disneyland with my grandkids, act 8. So there!
Eddie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
How is she? Is she still performing?

I recently spent a wonderful day talking story & jamming with Robyn Knuebuhl, Emma Veary's daughter. She mentioned that her mom was getting ready for her annual concert with Jim Nabors. I think she said it was in Honolulu around Christmas, but don't quote me on that -- we were eating totally ono crepes in Paia at the time so my mind was elsewhere.

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 11/13/2006 10:09:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, Mark, that was when you were *not* on vacation, but working.

I should have been a poverty stricken musician instead of a technocrat. In another life.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
What, you don't eat breakfast sometimes, Reid?

B'sides, as I understand it -- now you are a poverty-stricken musician.

Actually, the good news about being an artist is we get to retire first --- then we have to go to work. Now my pals will retire in a year or two with bennies and monthly mail money. Artists and musicians keep working till we keel over...

Of course, we musicians do get to play... while doctors practice.

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Poverty-stricken: yes; musician: no; hacker: yes.

It's a good thing I have a talented wife with a decent job with wonderful benefits. I am officially her dependent (in so many ways :-)

To be serious a second -
But, I do wish there were some way in the U S and A (as Borat says) that artists/musicians (not to mention all citizens) could have universal health care and retirement benefits that could provide a
decent life. I have gotten much more value out of music and art of all kinds than I have from lawyers, say. (I suppose I have opened up a can of political worms, but I wish I could direct my tax money myself, instead of allowing politicians to spend it).

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

What, you don't eat breakfast sometimes, Reid?

B'sides, as I understand it -- now you are a poverty-stricken musician.

Actually, the good news about being an artist is we get to retire first --- then we have to go to work. Now my pals will retire in a year or two with bennies and monthly mail money. Artists and musicians keep working till we keel over...

Of course, we musicians do get to play... while doctors practice.
Hey, Mark - Last time I was at McCabes I was whining about how little I am going to get when I retire, and Dave Zeitlin said "You're lucky that you can retire. I'm going to be working 'till I drop!" BTW, John Zehnder passed in March - pancreatic cancer, which he had fought for 3 tears. - Jack in Seattle.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  2:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Just read where Emma Veary will be performing with Danny Kaleakini,Jim Nabors and others at a benefit for The Mighty Mo. in Honolulu............

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  2:51:33 PM  Show Profile
She will be on stage at the Hawaiian Hilton on Jan.19

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Eddie
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bd1

Just read where Emma Veary will be performing with Danny Kaleakini,Jim Nabors and others at a benefit for The Mighty Mo. in Honolulu............

Really? Wow, Danny and Emma, two of my favorite entertainers. As for Nabors, well, let's put it this way. If I had my druthers, he wouldn't be on the list at that benefit. Sorry, I just can't stand his singing. Just curious, Nabors' name has cropped up recently. What's his connection to Hawaii, or Hawaiian music/entertainers? Is he living in Hawaii?
Any date on this gig?
Thanks
Eddie
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile
I believe Jim Nabors lives on Maui -- in Hana perhaps. I also believe he has a macadamia farm there. Our tour guide told use whilst we were on the "Road to Hana". By the way, while we were walking along the road there, we saw a skull of a pua`a. That was pretty cool or city folks like us. I think there are a fair amount of "celebraties" who have adopted Hawai`i as their home. Would that I could.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Jim Nabors lives in Hana, as does Kris Kristopherson. Oprah Winfrey recently purchased a large tract of land along the ocean there, also.

Why do the celebs flock to Hana? 'Cuz Duke plays there! The word is out!

Puna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000