Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Forum Members and Light Bulbs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  08:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Yeah, but which one tastes better?

Personally, I prefer the taste of a regular bulb over a light one, despite the higher caloric value.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
When I first read the initial post here I was pretty sure this was a converted Podigee joke. Speaking of that, anyone know any good Podagee jokes?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  09:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Are you gathering material for Frank DeLima?
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  5:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Are you gathering material for Frank DeLima?

Sorry I don't know who that is. I just thought it would be funny to hear a few podagee jokes. Years ago I played basketball with a group of Hawaiians at the U of O in Eugene. Not only am I half Portuguese, I also have a very common Portuguese last name. They knew me for a couple of months before they heard my last name. When they finally found out what my last name was...it was like, "you Padagee? Hey guys, his last name is Silva". And a whole room of Hawaiians yelled "PODAGEE"! seemingly all in unison, and then jokes started coming. I didn't know that they made fun of the Portuguese in Hawaii. Not only did they have Podagee jokes, they had Silva jokes too. Some hilarious stuff...good times with those guys.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  06:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Frank DeLima is a well-known Hawaiian portagee comedian who tours up here. He especially usually picks on filipinos, but no one is under the radar. My auntie brought him to Maui for their 50th wedding anniversary, but then a cousin wouldn't attend because he is so incensed at his filipino jokes. That night of course, they were better balanced, especially because there was a mixture of just about every ethnic group found in Hawai'i. I would think many taropatchers would enjoy his humor if you don't mind fun being poked at everyone.
n
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Pat and Mike (Irish), Pete and Ole (Norwegian), Toivo and Eino (Finn). A friend just called them all "man" jokes. They can be made to fit any group on the planet, we're all quirky, stubborn and have various depths of ignorance.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  08:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
So this Frank guy is kind of like a Hawaiian Carlos Mencia. Sounds funny. I don't know why people get their shorts in a bunch over ethnic jokes. As long as there is no malice intended or implied, it's all in good fun. Even my dad told Podagee jokes. As we were setting up the stage for last years Luau, Bill Keale and I were standing on the stage looking out over the seating arrangement. I asked him if he knew any good Podagee jokes. He didn't even have to think for a second, he just started telling me this joke. Can't remember it now, but we both had a good laugh. He must have been thinking to himself - Hey, I'm standing here next to a Podagee...wonder if he's heard this joke? ha ha

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Lawrence
Your ost about the possible negative aspects of CFL bulbs was unsettling, so i asked myhdaughter to consult with her eers at the Consortioum For Energy Efficiency in Boston. Here is her answer;
Consider the entire life cycle cost of incandescent bulbs for a given house, compared to CFLs for the same house:

- you'll use several incandescents in one fixture during the life of a single CFL in the same fixture, meaning the total amount of materials used for lighting your home incancescently will ultimately equal or outweigh using the CFLs

- you'll demand more power (watts) for those incan bulbs than over the life of the single CFL, which means more coal is combusted for your home, and you thereby contribute more emissions

- remember that coal-fired power plants release Hg into the atmosphere as part of the lovely noxious GHG emissions cocktail, and the end amount of Hg released via energy production for your multiple incans likely equals or outweighs that contained in the single CFL

You can do some research about which CFLs contain the least Hg - they are getting much better about reducing the amount. There are also organizations that conduct safe-disposal and/or recycling for fluor bulbs to prevent release of the Hg into the environment.

So, Lawrence, thanks for bringing that up, forcing me to do some research. I feel better again at having replaced all the incandescents in my rentals and home with CFLs. OK, I'll give you the part about not being dimmable, but that's not too big a deal. In the few places you need dimmable lights, i guess an incandescent or two will not destroy the planet near as fast as AirForce One. Really, I almost feel guilty just going to Aloha Camp for the amount of CO2 i will be adding to the atmosphere.
Almost :)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
I surmise you guys are using lots of lighting this time of year? You have the kind of expertise experience expends without expiring from exhasperation. And I don't mean Christmas Lights.

I also assume you don't have too many kids running around claiming they can hang your Christmas Lights for you for a few bucks, either. Seems every street corner lampost around here has a cardboard sign advertising such services. They are trying to take away our manly rite to try and kill ourselves on spindly ladders. . . but I digress.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  2:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Did you ever look at what percentage of your total household power consumption is used by all the light bulbs in your home? Miniscule! If you're truly concerned about energy conservation and other environmental issues, there are better areas to look at that would have a much larger impact. Like one cold shower could probably light your house for a month.....or two or three months if you're prone to taking long hot baths!

Did someone suggest moving this to the "Talk Story" section yet? Oops....it's already there!

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 12/21/2006 2:32:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
there are better areas to look at that would have a much larger impact.
Not to mention that the Kitchen Refrigerator typically consumes 30%-40% of total annual electricity...

...Now, if you could just stop 'em from opening da Cooler so much!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  6:57:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Not to mention that the Kitchen Refrigerator typically consumes 30%-40% of total annual electricity...

I guess that's true in California. Here in Washington state, the heavy energy users are the furnace and the water heater, particularly during the fall and winter months. Our monthly energy bills run around $70 in the summer and $230 in the fall/winter. But with the horrendous windstorm we just had, maybe we'll save a little on the next bill as we had no power for several days. Some people have had no power for eight days now.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 12/21/2006 7:02:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  7:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
John A.
Yes, there are lots of larger appliances, tools, etc., around the house that use more energy than light bulbs, but as far as the world is concerned, i think every little bit helps. There are lots of places to look; people who leave the tv on all the time, or turn it on as soon as they enter a room and then leave for 4 hours. Leaving any light on in any room where nobody needs one. Standing at the open fridge wondering what to eat. Poorly caulked or weather stripped windows and doors. Big shade trees on the south side of your home (if yo live in the north). office buildings leaving their lights on all night. Running water while brushing your teeth. The long bath or shower. Un-insulated hot water heaters. Driving to the corner store for a loaf of bread. Buying non-seasonal groceries from Chile or some other wierd place, like, say, California.
Back to those bulbs; a 100 watt bulb uses one kw of electricity in 10 hours. A 24 watt replacement gets 40 hours per kw. If there were 50million households in America, each with only one bulb, and they kept the lights on 10 hours a day every day for a year, that would be 365kw per household, which equals 18,250,000,000 kw. Multiply that by 3 (40 hrs use minus 10 hours use, the CFL saves the use of 3 incandescents) and you get 54.75 billiom watts, or 5475 megawatts saved each year by switching one bulb. That, i believe, is approx the daily output of 10-20 pretty good-sized power plants. I think most of us, especially in alaska, have more than one bulb. I just counted 51 that i can think of in my little house. In any one room, i could walk out and leave from three to 9 bulbs burning. Add/multiply those figures and yo start seeing some real numbers.
The other thing about bulbs is, they are cheap to replace. You have to think more than twice to replace your current, working boiler for a more energy efficient one at $4-7000 a pop, but those 51 bulbs would cost me (did cost me) a little more than a hundred and fifty bucks. And, i did it in one day, not three weeks.
With all due respect, i strongly feel it is very important. There is nothing so small we can do that will not help if all of us do it. And, if only a few of us do it, that will still help. We have to start somewhere and the best place is always at home...get your own house in order, then lead by example.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  9:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It only takes one Taropatch forum member to change a light bulb but it's always a turn or two looser than regular folks' light bulbs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I almost feel guilty just going to Aloha Camp for the amount of CO2 i will be adding to the atmosphere.

Yeah, but once you get there you'll be taking solar showers, using low-flow marine-type heads (that's "turlets" fer you landlubbers), and enjoying the benefits of solar electric power. Plus you won't be driving anywhere for a week.

OK, there's the small matter of the generators... but I'd still bet it's one of the greenest music camps on the planet.

If you are still concerned about mitigating the CO2 from the flight-- mebbe you don't exhale for a week? Plant more taro?? Plug up a cow????

yer friendly camp admin bloke

Edited by - Mark on 12/22/2006 09:00:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000