Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Favorite Slack Key Albums of All Time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
Aloha. I'm new to the message board community and thought it would be fun to list some of my all time favorite slack key albums in hopes of seeing what others enjoy.

George Kuo - Aloha No Na Kupuna
Hui Ohana - Best Of or Slack Key & Steel with Jerry Byrd
Led Kaapana & Bob Brozman - Kika Kila Meets Kihoalu
Maile Serenaders - Kanikapila / Slack Key & Steel
Ozzie Kotani - Kani Ki Ho'alu
Ray Kane - the Legendary, or Hawaiian Sunset Music
Sonny Chillingworth - all three available solo albums
Sons of Hawai'i the Gabby Album ... Also Pure Gabby, Rabbit Island, Two Slack Key Guitars

My list is always rotating and there're many I left out, but that should get things started...

Also, just curious if anyone has a definitive answer on if there's an "s" in the middle of Chillingworth or not. The album titles obviously don't have it, but I've heard lots people say Chillingsworth.

Nick

Nick Borho
Kona
http://www.nickborho.com

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
People (including the announcer on the Waimea Festival album) mispronounce--no S.

It's indeed hard to name favorites--I've been compiling a chronological list of all the albums mentioned in my book, and it's at 111 and not nearly finished. If I had to name, say, the five albums I've listened to most often since discovering slack key 30 years ago, they'd probably be (in no particular order) Gabby Band volume 1, Brown Gabby, Gabby Pahinui with the Sons of Hawai`i, Punahele, and Sonny Solo. But there's so much more--I especially enjoy the 50s-60s club music on the old Waikiki and Hula albums, often played by the Maile Serenaders/Sons/Isaacs brothers floating-session-players gang. Everybody I play that stuff for--even my hipper-than-hip twenty-something neices and their friends--thinks it's great.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha - There is so much beautiful music. It amazes me that such a volume of beautiful music can come from such tiny islands. The music is such an important part of the islands. Here are some of my favorites. Of these listed below, one of my favorites is Dennis & David Kamahaki's version of `Ulili E and Cyril's "Kaulana Kawaihae".

Dennis Kamakahi – Puaena – Glow Brightly

Dennis & David Kamkahi - `Ohana

Ledward Kaapana – Led Live – Solo

Any Sonny Chillinigworth

Any Gabby Pahinui

Cyril Pahinui – Ka Ho`oilina Mau (especially Kaulana Kawaihae – oooh, so beautiful)

Braddah Smitty – Only You

George Kahumoku & Daniel Ho – Classic Hawaiian Hulas Vol. 1

Ray Kane – Punahele

Pekelo Cosma – Going to Hana Maui

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Dang. I have almost 2000 slack key songs programmed in my new iPod Nano (birthday present) with each song ranked * up to *****. I have been listening for two weeks to random songs that are ***** and I have not heard the same song twice. How could I name top albums?

I think each and every slack key artist has at least one ***** song. My first guess as to the two with the most ***** songs, because of number of songs produced, would be Led Ka'apana and Keola Beamer.

I just found some gems at the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium that have been out of circulation but would count way up there.

This reminds me of the "Top 25 Slack Key Songs you should know" topic I started about a year ago. The list ended up WAY longer that 25.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  8:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
Yes, referring to Mika Ele's comment - I'm sure there is a lot of stuff only available on vinyl. Perhaps you could tantalize us with a hint of what's out of print that you would like to see on CD.

As to your comment about singles, I'm sure you are right that there's at least one really good song on every album. I prefer to listen to albums as a whole - admittedly an old fashioned idea in the age of the 'shuffle', but sometimes that's what's called for. A favorite start-to-finish album that spring to mind is Sonny Solo, but it could easily be another.

Nick Borho
Kona
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  04:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Ray Kane's "Black Album" on vinyl, "Led Live", the Gabby interview album with Dave Gard (sp?), and the George Kuo- Barney Isaacs album. Although I will play others over and over and over.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  09:08:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Ray Kane's "Black Album" on vinyl, "Led Live", the Gabby interview album with Dave Gard (sp?), and the George Kuo- Barney Isaacs album. Although I will play others over and over and over.

Hey, bra! How about Martin Pahinui's Ho'olohe? I kept you copy for 4 months before you forced me to give it back!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Don't forget Leonard Kwan's Keala's Mele. That's what got me started. What's with his magic thumb? Texas JIm

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
quote:
[i]the Gabby interview album with Dave Gard (sp?)

That would be the late Dave Guard of the Kingston Trio, whom I've read grew up in Hawaii, and was a lover of Slack Key. I also read that he'd produced an album with Gabby but that it had never been released. Wherever I read that (it was some music publication) I don't recall if they specified it was an "interview album". Are you saying that that album is "out there" for me to find in my record store (in Buffalo, NY?) That would be exciting!

Bill Neubauer

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  5:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Back in the '60s' Dave Guard did an interview album with Gabby and the 2nd disc was Gabby solo playing tunes, each with a slow strum to demo the tuning. The tunes were re-released on CD, but not the interview.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  7:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The Guard-produced album is "Pure Gabby," recorded in 1961 and finally released in 1978 on Hula. The interview (on the second disk) was included on the cassette release. It's been a while since I had a copy of the LP set in my hands, but I think the CD includes only part of the original liner notes.
Go to Top of Page

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  10:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
Yes, Pure Gabby was apparently recorded in a church and I'm told it's as close to a 'solo' recording of him as you can find. (It sounds like some uke, guitar, and bass in the background.) The CD liner notes I have are pretty good about explaining the original songs if not the circumsatances of the recording.
As for the Dave Guard interview, I have it on a CD called "The King of Slack Key - The Best of Gabby Pahinui Vol. 1." It's an 8:43 excerpt with slack key music in the background. Dave's not the best interviewer, but Gabby says some really valuable stuff, shows some tongue in cheek humor, and dishes some classic quotes like "I just play the way I feel." Definitely required listening if you're interested in Gabby.

Nick Borho
Kona

Edited by - nick_borho on 11/20/2006 10:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  07:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
Anyone else out there have a favorite album not mentioned?

Nick Borho
Kona
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  08:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Uhhh....it takes too much effort to type in about 200 titles. Our favorite just depends on the mood, weather, which one we haven't heard in a while, etc.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:34:36 AM  Show Profile
"Slack Key Tradition" with a selection of Big Island players
"Nahenahe" by Hui 'Ohana

...I could go on :-)
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Mine's would be The Kahumoku Brother's- "Sweet & Sassy" which was released back in the late 80's then re-released on CD afew year's ago. definitely one to have in the Slack-key instrumental collection. Of course, I'm kind of partial...maybe just a little. Next would be Dancing Cat's release's compilation album's and Moses Kahumoku's- Ho'okupu. If anyone has any Kahumoku Brother's and four wheel drive from the Late 70's thru early 80's on cassette? Those were definitely cutting edge slack-key recordings, ahead of their time...not really always nahenahe, sometime in your face Country and Western Rock /blues all done in slack-key.

One of my all time favorite's- "E hi'ipoi i ka Aina"- Aunty Edith Kanakaole
and of course Slack Key Guitar- volume 2. Master's of Hawaiian Slack key guitar is another good one for sure...live and from the hip.

Aloha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000