Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Byron Yasui - Anahola
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  4:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Many of us have taken workshops with or seen Byron Yasui perform. His new CD will be available on 11/28/06. Here is an excerpt from the press release:

quote:
MESSAGE FROM BYRON YASUI:
As I approach retirement from a musical career that began in 1960, the urge to leave for my family an audio documentation of some of my musical activities compelled me to carry out this and possibly two follow up CDs. This collection includes music from a wide repertoire that features solo ‘ukulele and ‘ukulele ensembles of various sizes (with and without double bass), all arranged in a variety of musical styles.

The opener, Anahola, is a song I originally composed for my niece, Ronnie Lynn Lemn, of Anahola, Kaua‘i. More recently, it has also become a piece dedicated to the memory of her son, Kunane. The words now have a new meaning for our family.

The ‘ukulele has a personality with many facets, due to the variety of music that can be played on it and the arrangements that carry the music. The jazzy side is revealed in, In a Little Hula Heaven, Sophisticated Hula, and Hanohano Hanalei. In Blue Hawai‘i, Waikiki, and Undecided, the instrument becomes a part of a jazz ensemble, with the addition of a string bass. In The Stars and Stripes Forever, the ‘ukulele thinks it’s a marching band; in The Comedians’ Galop, it depicts a symphony orchestra; in the Japanese Medley, it briefly suggests a koto (Japanese zither); and in Pua Mae ‘Ole, cascading chords a la harp are featured. Traditional Broadway music is represented in You are Beautiful and This Nearly Was Mine, while the BeeGee’s song, The First of May, comes from a more contemporary pop music repertoire. From Latin America comes Granada, and Sleigh Ride is a seasonal favorite that combines contemporary harmonies with old fashioned counterpoint. Amazing Grace is included to show my ‘ukulele class students what an ‘ukulele ensemble can do. The Scherzo excerpt from Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 serves as an album closer to show everyone else what a full ‘ukulele orchestra can do. This is a direct transcription (not a watered down arrangement) for ‘ukulele orchestra assisted by double bass. Virtually every note written by Tchaikovsky for the entire symphony orchestra is preserved in the original key and performed, hopefully, in the tempo envisioned by the composer. I hope that you enjoy this album of mostly pure ‘ukulele music.
- Byron Yasui

1. Anahola
2. In a Little Hula Heaven
3. You Are Beautiful
4. Sophisticated Hula
5. This Nearly Was Mine
6. The Stars & Stripes Forever
7. Pua Mae‘ole
8. Granada
9. Hanohano Hanalei
10. First of May
11. The Comedians’ Galop
12. Sleigh Ride
13. Medley of Japanese Songs:
Torianse, Sakura, Kojo No Tsuki
14. Amazing Grace
15. Blue Hawaii
16. Waikiki
17. Undecided
18. Scherzo

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Holy Moly!

For those who don't know, Byron heads the music department at University of Hawaii. He's a first-call bassist, his classical guitar pieces are performed all over the world, and in my opinion he's the best `ukulele player on the planet. Some folks can play fast, some can play jazz, some can play classical transcriptions - Byron does it all.

Great teacher, too.

I'm assuming we'll be able to get copies of the CD from Mele.com?

Don't forget Byron will be teaching at the June Aloha Camp.

And, no, Byron, you can't keep my uke.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000