Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Kumu Bobo Miles Teaches on OAHU. WAIMANALO
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  5:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage

Naturally Hawaiian Presents

Ka Papa `Ukulele
(`ukulele class)

Taught by ~ Kalae “Bobo” Miles ~ Apprentice to Hawaiian music legend "Kahauanu Lake" of the
"Kahauanu Lake Trio"

Classes ~ Monday, 11/20 & 27 ~ 6pm – 8pm Beginning `Ukulele Class
Tuesday, 11/21 & 28 ~ 6pm - 8pm Advanced `Ukulele Class

Location ~Naturally Hawaiian ~ 41-1025 Kalaniana`ole Hwy., Waimanalo, HI 96795
Contact number: 808-259-5354

The Beginning `Ukulele class is for those who have had little or no experience with the ‘ukulele.
Students will learn basic knowledge about the ’ukulele and basic fundamental chords. Bring
your own `ukulele, a music stand, and a recording device (optional) for your own practicing
purposes.

The Advanced `Ukulele class is for those who have had some prior ‘ukulele knowledge and know some basic chords. Students will learn traditional Hawaiian Songs, classical chording progressions for certain songs (from the Kahauanu Lake Trio Stylings), as well as techniques for advanced strumming. Students will also be required to play and sing along while strumming the `ukulele. Bring your own `ukulele, a music stand, and a recording device (optional) for your own practicing purposes.

About the Instructor
Kalae Miles is a graduate of the University of Hawaii and former educator of “Ke Kula Kaiapuni O Anuenue”, as well as Middle School Hawaiian Language Instructor & Choral Director at
St. Louis High School. He has spent the past few years educating children as well as adults. Besides being fluent in Hawaiian Language, Kalae is an accomplished Hawaiian musician and singer, and trained in the operatic and falsetto vocal technique. Serving as apprentice to Hawaiian music legend Kahauanu Lake and Richard Ho’opi’i, Kalae has a vast knowledge of things Hawaiian and continues to share his knowledge with his students. Now a resident in California, Kalae has established 3 `ukulele schools in Sacramento, Fremont, and Santa Cruz.

Cost $40 for entire 2-day course (a 10$ per hour equivalent)
For further inquiries please contact:
Wehilani Miles @ 330-9269.

e-mail: mmiles35 @ yahoo.com
[/size=5]

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 11/17/2006 08:30:30 AM

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
`Ae Pololei! He papa `ukulele ka`u ma Waimanalo! E hele mai! E mele kakou!

Yes! I am home for the holidays and have had lots of requests locally asking why I haven't offered classes in 'Olelo Hawai'i or 'Ukulele. Well, I have decided that as a native Hawaiian it is my kuleana (responsibility) to continue my culture of music even in my own homeland. There will be a nominal fee to cover cost of the rental space. Come along and enjoy learning songs of our kupuna. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the numbers or e-mail addresses from the previous information.

Mahalo e Timmy no kou pilina me a`u. 'O 'oe no ke kama no Maui! Eo e ka hono a`o Pi'ilani! Ku!
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  9:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Ah-h-h, lucky you live Waimanaolo/Hawai`i . . . or anywhere you can easily get to workshops with Kalae ("the artist wuz wuz Bobo," as his Seattle fans now call him . . . but don't tell him this, cuz he doesn't know how we refer to him like Prince behind his back).

A bunch of us are all saving our pennies to get him back up/over here to share more of his amazing knowledge and talent with us. If he lived in Seattle we'd spend ALL of our money to work with him . . . no wait . . . OK, HALF on him and half on buying new ukuleles. No wait, we need latte and beer money . . . so, we'd spend a LOT on him and the rest on life's other necessities.

Anyways . . . time with Kalae is gift to yourself . . . lucky you if you can take advantage of these opportunities!

Don (uncle dr. cookie)

PS: If you're listening, The Artist Wuz Wuz Bobo, I hope you're loving being back home for a bit . . . have a great time!
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
Aww. Uncle-Dr. Cookie~

That was so warm. I really appreciate those authentic words of A-L-O-H-A. For those of you who know Dr. Cookie, I have adopted him as my "hanai" uncle. You are family now. Wish you were here in Waimanalo, HI to experience the "mana" we have here. It's such a breath of fresh (and I mean it literally) air, to be back in the islands.

Please keep in touch ANAKALA (uncle). And for those of you who do not know Dr. Cookie, if I remember, he owns a chain of cookie stores. During a workshop I gave in Seattle, he brought me a cookie that looked just like me. I thought it was funny. It really did look like me!

Aloha!!
Go to Top of Page

lynn
Lokahi

289 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit lynn's Homepage  Send lynn a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou,
Uncle Dr. Cookie speaks the truth! Kumu Bobo is an incredibly talented kumu olelo, kumu `ukulele, kane hula dancer, and his voice? Let's just say that his unbelievably beautiful rendition of Ka Ipo Lei Manu at Ia `Oe 2 weeks ago brought chicken skin and tears.

He is a wonderful kumu. Knowledgeable and serious about his work, but also patient, kind, loving - and has a great sense of humor! Get him to talk story, and you'll be laughing till your face hurts. Like his Seattle haumana, his Sacramento haumana are very devoted to him - as are his haumana in Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Hayward, Hawai`i... he inspires that love and devotion in ALL of his haumana, which should tell you a lot.

So. If you're anywhere near Waimanalo, do whatever it takes to attend Kumu Bobo's ka papa `ukulele!!! Then give him a hug (he gives great hugs!) and send him back to us - we miss him!

A hui hou,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo nui e Lynn~

So sweet! I really appreciate your kindness!
Go to Top of Page

ukerat
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile
If you are one who is serious about learning from a MASTER teacher, take Kumu Kalae’s ‘ukulele workshop. Words cannot express the gratitude and I respect I have for him as a Kumu and friend. Mahlo nui, Kalae, for inspiring the lives of so many.

Aloha!
Deb

P.S. I am one of the lucky ones in Santa Cruz who’ve had the opportunity to learn with him.

Deb
Go to Top of Page

deancruzin
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  2:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Aloha to all that know or may come to know Kumu Bobo,

I had my first contact with Kumu in January of this year. I had enrolled in a Hawai`ian language class, even knowing that after class #1 I would be off to the Big Island to further the development of my small coffee farm to where I'm hoping to relocate in the next few years. After missing 3 classws I realized that I had fallen too far behind to catch up. Although Kumu walcomed my presence in the class after I returned, I could not keep up.

During those few classes that I was able to attend I felt a powerful presence. Was that the power of Kumu Bobo? Or was it the connection he clearly has to the tradition, the protocal, and the direct link to the ancient culture of Hawa1`i. The answer to that question is...... Both.

I lived and studied in Japan back in the 70's and had some powerful, moving experiences in regard to Buddhist teachings, chant and music. I can't now go into some of the "happenings" that I experienced with my Sensei in those times.

Suffice it to say that not only has Kumu Bobo provided that link I sought between east and west, but he has gone much far beyond that simple connection, to introduce several avenues whereby one can make his/her own personal connection to something much bigger than that which we see in our daily lives.

I took Kumu's oli (chant) workshop last month one week before, once again, returning to South Kona for some serious work on my farm. This time I took Kumu with me. Not in person, but in recording. I would sit on my west facing deck, just after sunset and play the recording of our workshop, with me "pulling out all the stops" - chanting without any hesitation to the departed sun - chanting the various chants of requesting an entrance, or welcoming an aspiring student, and others.

I feel very blessed and very fortunate to have had the oppertunity to learn from this very "connected" (in a spiritual way), yet humble man.

I know that any of you out there who have come to expereince Kumu know exactly of what I speak. To the others; embrace the chance while you have it.

Mahalo nui loa, Bruddah Bill
Go to Top of Page

Luana
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all

I am a part Hawaiian girl born in my father's hometown of La Plata, Puerto Rico and raised all over as a military brat. I now live in San Jose, CA and although I've danced hula since I was young, finding an 'olelo class with a knowledgeable teacher on the mainland is a rare thing. I drove an hour plus to Kumu Bobo's class in Santa Cruz and would do so again in a heartbeat, if he hadn't deserted us for SoCal that is! But he's always a phone call away and he's going afer his dream, so I full on support him. He has joined the circle of people - my mother, my kumu hula, my kupuna - that have shown me what it means to be Hawaiian. We must learn and continue because if not us, then who will?

Kumu Bobo uses solid teaching methods. Ever pay for a workshop and leave feeling you aren't taking anything new away? This will not happen with Kumu Bobo. He will impart a lesson, an interpretation, an understanding. I cannot recommend him highly enough. And I also hope you will get to know and enjoy your fellow classmates, as I did in Santa Cruz.

Luana
Halau Napuaokamokihana'ohaikapolioluana
Go to Top of Page

Just Nancy
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  12:04:25 AM  Show Profile
My 3 daughters were lucky enough to find and take classes with Kumu Bobo ( Kalae) this past spring , early summer...and in the late fall.

Jaz-18, and Sami -15, took Olelo classes with Kumu in the spring. They both learned a lot and REALLY enjoyed the class...Me, (as their mother), Iloved that they would banter back and forth to each other( this part is normal) BUT! speaking in Hawaiian ...in a Very short time!...and correcting each other on enunciation.

The 3 of them were able to take ukulele classes in the summer (This included Maya...8 years old). All 3 loved the classes...and loved being with Kumu Bobo....I loved that I didn't have to do ANYTHING to keep them inspired to practice.

I found Kumu Bobo to be very sweet and caring. He gives enough discipline in the room to keep everyone learning huge amounts in a short period of time and "loose" enough that everyone is Comfortable and has a lot of fun.

When he came back in October...my girls asked ME if they could take his classes...
I believe that what most impressed me with his teaching skills was the fact that he was able to keep my 8 year old attentive and focused...practicing for over 3 hours...without any complaining or whining from her...this would be considered a MIRACLE at our house!and at the end of lessons, she said "thank you mommy for bringing me"....
Its been about 3 weeks since the last class and she is still practicing almost everyday the new songs.
My 2 older girls loved the classes as well but it REALLY takes some skill to hold the attention of my little Maya...

I would highly recommend his classes; he is a lot of fun and VERY knowledgeable. He is kind and considerate, and very much expresses "Aloha" in his presence.....and as Lynn has expressed...Please don't keep him forever....we'd really love for him to come back our way again soon!...and I agree he gives great "Hugs"!!

From the Sacramento Haumana....Jaz, Sami & Maya...(and Nancy)
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  08:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
In addition to being an excellent teacher (knowledgeable and patient), one of the most striking things I noticed about him was that, after just a couple of days working together, there was a real connection of spirit. We felt as if we had known each other for much of our lives, and that added to the joy of being able to sing and play music together. So much mana, so much aloha.
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Komohana Pali
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  7:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

The thing about Kumu Kalae Miles is, that he is so genuine - ya jus' gotta like his style. In his classes he always gives us such top quality materials. I've had the good fortune in the past year to take 'olelo, 'ukulele and oli classes from him in Santa Cruz, and will continue to do so whenever possible. It is so wonderful now to be able to speak and understand some basic Hawaiian, to play classic Hawaiian songs on 'ukulele, or to chant to the ocean at sunrise. These incredible arts are just what the world needs and Kumu Bobo has a special ability to pass them on to people.

We who have been in his classes know how fortunate we are and what good friends we have made. Did I mention it's a roaring good time and about those golden vocal chords of his - powerfully moving, truly the real thing. If you get a chance to learn from him, just go for it! You'll be glad you did!

Maluhia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000