Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 MakanaLive & Steve Inglis NEW WORKSHOP ADDED!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  3:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage

Makana is coming to the West Coast.
Tour is in four places: Santa Barbara January 30th , Monterey Live Febuary 1st, Santa Cruz at The Attic February 6th and the Bay Area (Pending but looks like a possible show in Oakland more info soon). Click on this link to see his full schedule:

www.makanalive.com

Special Guest in Santa Cruz will be Stephen Inglis! www.stepheninglis.com

As of right now there is a CONFIRMED workshop at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto on Saturday February 3rd from 2-4 pm. Seating is limited to approximately 20, so go to their website and get your ticket to this exciting day of learning with Hawaii's youngest Slack Key Master! The protege of Sonny Chillingsworth! Plus Stephen Inglis who will be assisting Makana! Tickets are $35.00.

Santa Cruz workshop will be a MEET AND GREET along with Slack Key Workshop at The Aloha Island Grille 1700 Portola Drive, Santa Cruz 95062 Tel: (831) 479-3299
Time: 4:30-5:30pm Meet and Greet (dinner is available for purchase)
5:30-7:30pm Slack Key Workshop w/ Makana and Stephen Inglis
Cost: $35
For more information contact me!

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/lessons_rentals/workshops.html

Make sure to check out Makana's new album "A Different Game" available now! For more info: www.makanalive.com

For more information on Makana's workshop or the show(s) feel free to contact me!
A hui hou
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 01/26/2007 08:44:37 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  9:01:37 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in a workshop in the Bay Area.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  01:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have Makana do a workshop in Hawai'i, especially on O'ahu.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  07:25:38 AM  Show Profile
A workshop in the San Jose area would be great!

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Makana is pretty excited to do a workshop, We are trying to get a sellout workshop. Its possibly going to be on Saturday February 3rd at Griphon. More info to come in the days to come. Pass the word on so we can make this a great day of learning by one of Hawaii's very best Kiho'alu players, songwriter, vocalist and composer.

As well as Makana teaching I heard Stephen Inglis will also be at this workshop. Steve is VERY talented at Kiho'alu and grew up on O'ahu with Makana. So don't miss out on this great workshop as well as the show at the Attic on February 6th!

Mahalo for your interest and I am sure if you email me your contact info on O'ahu I can find out when Makana is having a workshop taking place on O'ahu!
a hui hou,
Timmy
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  10:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Aloha friends,
I am writing to let all of you know that on February 6th Dennis Kamakahi will be playing at Don Quixotes in Felton at the same time as Makana in Santa Cruz... I want to apologize for any confusion as we DID NOT plan to have BOTH shows on the same night. It just happened that way due to the tight schedule Makana has while on the mainland. Please know that Makana's show will be more along the lines of his NEW ALBUM "A Different Game". Which is Folk/Rock with SOME Slack Key. We are sorry that the both of them are not on seperate days.... We hope you will go and enjoy one or the other show and continue to support Hawaiian Music here on the mainland. If you have ANY question feel free to respond to this post or email me!

Aloha,
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 12/30/2006 10:29:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by alohakanakaluka

Makana is pretty excited to do a workshop, We are trying to get a sellout workshop. Its possibly going to be on Saturday February 3rd at Griphon. More info to come in the days to come. Pass the word on so we can make this a great day of learning by one of Hawaii's very best Kiho'alu players, songwriter, vocalist and composer.

As well as Makana teaching I heard Stephen Inglis will also be at this workshop. Steve is VERY talented at Kiho'alu and grew up on O'ahu with Makana. So don't miss out on this great workshop as well as the show at the Attic on February 6th!

Mahalo for your interest and I am sure if you email me your contact info on O'ahu I can find out when Makana is having a workshop taking place on O'ahu!
a hui hou,
Timmy

Aloha mai e Timmy! Pehea 'oe? I never knew that you are on taropatch. Its me Alana. Thanks for the info. I'll email you now. I love Makana and his music.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  9:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Just added:

Sunday February 4th
The Aloha Island Grille
1700 Portola Drive
Santa Cruz 95062

4:30-5:30pm Meet and Greet with Slack Key Master Makana with special guest Stephen Inglis
Come get some ONO grinds and kick back and get to know these two talented players of SLACK KEY!

Followed by:
5:30-7:30 Slack Key workshop!
Cost: $35
Class will be limited to about 15plus students
Bring music stand and a (6) string guitar with tuner
Video not allowed but recording devices are acceptable

Should you have ANY questions feel free to contact me!
a hui hou,
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 01/28/2007 7:47:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  06:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Makana and Stephen for the great workshop at Gryphon. A good blend of "Back to basics" and "progressive" slack.

Mahalo to Timmy for putting all this on.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  06:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Yes,thanks to Makana, Stephen, and Timmy. It was a great workshop...and it was great to see familiar faces again...

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  05:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Mahalo to you guys who came out to the workshop at Gryphon, It was good to meet you taropatchers and place a "Face with a Name"! As well as that Mark and Slack Dog who made ANOTHER appearance to Makana's Santa Cruz Workshop on Sunday! Maika'i guys! (I want that guitar Dave!!!)

Makana and Stephen will be in OAKLAND tonight MONDAY FEBRUARY 5th at THE UPTOWN NITE CLUB at 9pm. For more information you can go to Makana's website at: http://www.makanalive.com

And don't forget tommorow's show at the Attic at 931 Pacific Avenue in Santa Cruz!
6pm doors and 7pm doors!

Look forward to a great evening of music!

a hui hou,
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 02/05/2007 05:34:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  05:50:58 AM  Show Profile
yep great workshop. Thanks Makana, Stephen and you Timmy for putting it together. Dog , Mark so good to see you guys again.. like a class reunion

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to second Jim's reply; that was one of the best work shops I've ever attened. I think Makana gave us something very special. I believe he gave us a way to feel hear and play slack key that,at least in my limited experience was previously ungiven.
Thank you seems such a small word for this one but I can't think of another so,
Thank you,
Alla (b3d)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  08:25:26 AM  Show Profile
oops, I left off the n.
Thanks again,
Allan

b3d
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  9:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Right on you guys! Mahalo for participating in Makana's Workshop(s). He truly appreciates it, and is humbled by your thanks! He will be back again so make sure to practice those EXCERCISES!!!
Foundation, Foundation, Foundation! He's been talking about coming back in the summer??? We'll see! Stay in touch and hope to see some of you tommorrow nite at the Attic, Santa Cruz!
A hui hou,
Timmy
Go to Top of Page

nahenahe
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with the rest of the guys here. I was expecting Slack Key 101 because workshops usually have to cater to the beginner students in the class. But because of the small class size and because everyone was at least an intermediate player, Makana and Steve took us to the deep end pretty quickly.

Makana demonstrated his command of at least each of the following tunings (I may be missing a few): Taro Patch G, Drop C, Atta's C, Gabby's C, C Maunaloa, DADGAD and the tuning for "How'd Ya Do?"

As always happens when I leave a good workshop, I was both humbled and inspired. Mahalo, Timmy and Gryphon!

Tim

Tim Dang
Sunnyvale, CA

Edited by - nahenahe on 02/06/2007 10:22:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000