Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 favorite thing or things about Hawai'i?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to know what are your favorite thing or things about Hawai'i?

Some of mines are:
-The beaches (watch out for the jellyfishes)
-Rainbow Shave Ice from Matsumoto's
-The people
-The diversity of the people
-The language and the culture
-The music
-The diversity of the foods

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

Just wanted to know what are your favorite thing or things about Hawai'i?

Some of mines are:
-The beaches (watch out for the jellyfishes)
-Rainbow Shave Ice from Matsumoto's
-The people
-The diversity of the people
-The language and the culture
-The music
-The diversity of the foods

Rainbow shave ice, huh?

(sings) On the tenth day of Christmas my tutu gave to me,
10 rainbow shave ice... lol

Anyways, here's my list:

Hawaiian music
'olelo
hula
food
culture
friendly people who love talking story
relaxing island life

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile
My wife and I were both born and raised in Hawaii and moved here to the Pacific Northwest about 4-1/2 years ago. And as much as we feel blessed to have lived in such a beautiful and magical place for so long, it is also very beautiful here and we enjoy living here a lot. Especially so since our children and grandchildren also live here, which is why we moved here in the first place! One real nice surprise when we got here was that many of the people we've met here seem genuinely warm, open and friendly just like we're used to in Hawaii. Maybe it's the "small town" nature of the Olympia area in general and in particular, the neighborhood we live in.

Most all of our favorite foods and such, we've either been able to find here or substitute something else that works as well. So besides our family and friends in Hawaii, the only other things we miss are the beautiful white sand beaches and the warm water. We even enjoy when it snows here (not very often) and the weather report says we may get some soon!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  10:45:49 AM  Show Profile
FOOD FOOD FOOD
MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC
THE PEOPLE
.... basically everything!!
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  12:41:57 PM  Show Profile
A papaya that's picked and eaten at the moment of perfect ripseness.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  4:40:59 PM  Show Profile
RJS:

Ah, the simple pleasures! Unfortunately, the only papayas we can get here come from Mexico and they just don't look or taste anything like Hawaiian papayas!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:09:30 AM  Show Profile
Zippy's chili & chicken, okazuya, 2 gallon bowls of saimin, kava at Kapahulu Kafe.....
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  10:04:42 AM  Show Profile
andyjade: Zippy’s chili and chicken are both terrific! Did you know that you can buy Zippy’s chili frozen at Uajimaya over there in Beaverton?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  10:27:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi John,
Yep, I have discovered that. I'm waiting for a lazy Sunday afternoon in which a bucket of Popeyes will be slathered in Ziptastic chili goodness. I can feel my heart slowing know.

AJ
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:58:40 PM  Show Profile
My favorie thing about the islands is the intensity of color...when we first went to Hawai`i a few years back, it was like in the Wizard of Oz movie when Dorothy lands in Munchkin Land from Kansas -- it was black and white and gray in Kansas, and everything was colorful in Munchkin Land...that is how I felt traveling from Cleveland on a 12 degree February day and ending up in Honolulu in 82 degrees. Then, in the ride from the airport toward Waikiki, we saw rainbows...and the rainbows just stayed there the whole time! Wow! At the time, I did not know that I had cataracts in my eyes, but after I had lens replacement surgery, I just had to go back to Hawai`i to see those wonderful colors with my new eyes! I couldn't hardly believe a place could be so colorful.

The other thing I love is the talk story. Every one we met who was kama'aina just loved to talk story. We talked about baseball in Hawai`i, the sovereignty movement, homestead living, housing prices (high in Hawai`i, cheap in Cleveland -- our house cost $33,000 30 years ago), kaukau, music, history. We met a wonderful cultural expert, Wayne Chang, who has so much knowledge to share; and a wonderful musician named Charles Nahale. And the hospitality -- amazing! I have learned that in Hawai`i, when someone says why don't we get together, or why don't you come over to my house, they really, truly mean it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  9:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
There is so much to love here!

I just hiked to Manoa falls yesterday. What a gorgeous waterfall! The most beautiful I've seen up close, and I've hiked to a lot of them. Not sure why I waited so long to do Manoa, its a pretty easy hike, but I'm kind of glad I saved it until yesterday. Breathtaking!

Of course, Bellows beach is great, and the Makapu lighthouse walk can't be beat during whale season.

But what I love most is the live music! I saw Led at Kona Brew Sunday night. What a great time...good pizza, good beer, and awesome music by a slack key master. Too fun!

Aloha,

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  05:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Wanda,

I know what you mean about the color! It's like jewels! The sapphire and turquoise moana, the emerald kai, the ruby ginger flowers, and so on. Brilliant blues, yellows, greens, reds! And I love the mists -- the way the pointy mountains are wreathed in mists, and mists lurk in the valleys. And I love the velvet texture of the mountains, the way they look like folded velvet. Auwe ka nani!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Trying hard to think of something I don't like.
No luck.

What everyone's mentioned.......and the smell of plumeria!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile
I miss my family there (my ex's family to be exact). I miss the stories from the old folks who've passed. And I miss the warmth and aloha of ohana, no matter who you're with. The next generation is busy with their kids so don't travel as much. But there are more keiki to play with and love when I'm there which is not often enough.
What is nice here in the southland is that there are many Hawaiians who've brought their aloha spirit to be joined with the free spirits from the beach. We've had the taste and the music and the aloha melded into our area as long as I can remember.
Mahalo for this thread!
n
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  4:45:12 PM  Show Profile
of course the beaches and my secret beach,
mitsu-ken's fried rice and garlic chicken,
the poke at foodland,
kozo sushi,
rainbow drive-in,
liliha bakery,
and of course the laid back attitude of the people and the immense hospitality!
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  11:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
My favorite things about Hawai'i are:
+Aloha-I love that kindness and respect remain the default here.
+Kiho'alu and other forms of Hawai'ian music.
+Natural beauty.
+The people, with the genuine aloha and the value they place on relationships.
+The reverence that so many folks have for nature.
+The sounds of wind, rain, waves lapping on the sand and crashing onto the rocks.
+Hula and the beauty of the movements and dancers, the connections it holds to the past.
+I can get called a racial name (not racist) and its done so lovingly with humor and respect.

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000