Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Alert - Stolen guitar on O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  6:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Stolen guitar irreplaceable
Musician Tiffa Cruz Garza says it was a legacy from her father

By Rosemarie Bernardo
rbernardo @ starbulletin.com

An acoustic electric guitar with sentimental value to local musician Tiffa Cruz Garza was stolen from her pickup truck parked at her Aiea Heights home.

"It would mean the whole world to me to get it back," Garza, 23, said yesterday. "I'm just desperate for it."

At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Garza arrived at her home in the 99-1000 block of Kahua Place. She and her band, the Girlas, had performed at the Centennial Welcome-Back Bash at the University of Hawaii at Manoa's Campus Center courtyard.

She and her husband, Imua Garza of the band Opihi Pickers, were packing to catch an early flight to Hilo. Garza left her guitar in its case in the cab of her 1999 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck.

When she headed back to her truck at about 3:30 a.m., Garza noticed the vehicle's rear window pried open and her guitar missing. "I was just crying hysterically," she said.

Garza had gotten the guitar as a gift from her father, well-known musician Ernie Cruz Sr., when she graduated from Hilo High School in 2001.

"It's my father's guitar. It has his fingerprints," Garza said, adding that it is worn on the fret board and on the back of the guitar from years her father played the instrument. "It represents his heart and love for me and for music."

Garza's father had taught her how to play on the instrument in 1993, when she was a teenager. "It's a way of life for me. I use it in all of my gigs. It's been part of my life," she said.

She described it as a Takamine-brand acoustic electric guitar made of koa wood. The guitar is a 1992 special edition with golden-brown tuning pegs. It has a "unique sweet sound that has been cultivated by many years played," Garza said. "Nothing can compare to it."

Police were called about the theft.

Garza said she would not press charges and just wants her guitar returned. A substantial reward, as well as a collection of CDs from Garza and her family members, is being offered for the guitar.

Along with a talented father, brother Ernie Cruz Jr. is part of the Ka'au Crater Boys. Garza's other brothers, Guy and John, have successful solo music careers.

She said other break-ins have occurred in her neighborhood, and her neighbor had stolen from a PT Cruiser over the weekend a medal earned in the military, cleaning supplies and books.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of the guitar can call Tiffa Cruz Garza at 258-7242.

Andy

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  01:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Please pray for the safe return of her guitar. I know Tiffa Garza because she is my best friend and like a sister to me. I know getting her dad's guitar back will mean the world to her. Its her baby. We went to the same Bible College.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 01/20/2007 01:07:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
How do you say b....ards in Hawaiian? I absolutely HATE thieves! The one good thing is that it is a somewhat unique guitar and you know they didn't steal it to keep it. I just bet it will show up somewhere.

I too have my father's guitar. He had it since before I was born. It is more than just an instrument to me. It is the only real meaningful connection I have to my dad. If I were to lose that guitar I would be devastated, as I know that Tiffa is now. You can always buy another guitar but it won't replace that little part of your heart that belongs with the one that connects you to your family. I feel for Tiffa, I know she must just be very frustrated and saddened.

Alana, since you know this girl, please let us know if her guitar is found.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Podagee57

How do you say b....ards in Hawaiian? I absolutely HATE thieves! The one good thing is that it is a somewhat unique guitar and you know they didn't steal it to keep it. I just bet it will show up somewhere.

I too have my father's guitar. He had it since before I was born. It is more than just an instrument to me. It is the only real meaningful connection I have to my dad. If I were to lose that guitar I would be devastated, as I know that Tiffa is now. You can always buy another guitar but it won't replace that little part of your heart that belongs with the one that connects you to your family. I feel for Tiffa, I know she must just be very frustrated and saddened.

Alana, since you know this girl, please let us know if her guitar is found.

I will definitely let you know. Mahalo!

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
On the positive side, reading this introduced me to Tiffa's band, The Girlas...great stuff (and available on iTunes)!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  11:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Thanks Andy,
I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for this!
Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000