Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Condos on Kauai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm shopping for a condo on Kauai for a family vacation. Anyone have favorite hotels/resorts on the garden isle?
Jesse Tinsley

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  05:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Jesse -- what time of year? And do you have a preference for which side of the island?

Soooooooooo many choices -- all these new condo-tels here are getting good reviews, too.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha Auntie,
We're going in June with two small children, so we'll probably want to be at Poipu or Kapaa, near snorkeling/baby beaches/boogie boarding. We'll probably be happy with anything that'll sleep the five of us, but I was trolling for ideas so I could avoid any well-known roach motels. We'll probably end up in a condo around Poipu.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  07:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, I'm sending you an email with details.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  07:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessie,
Did you have another baby?
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Pua Kai,
Just the same two boys I had when we visited you, now they're 5 and 8. They grow up fast. We're taking to Kauai for 10 days when school ends.
Mahalos to Admin and Chunky Monkey for their input on accommodations.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  9:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jesse, several years ago we came upon this beautiful condo right on the water in Kapa'a, through a website recommended to us by Auntie Maria. We just loved it. It is also accessible for handicapped people, as it is a very short walk from the parking lot to the condo. Just gorgeous. Let me try to remember the website, or maybe Auntie Maria can remember it.

Oh, and we went out at night to the tidepool with our flashlights to see all the sparkling orange eyes of the shrimp. I bet the boys would love that!

Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 01/24/2007 9:06:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  9:10:46 PM  Show Profile
www.Kauaivacationrentals.com

Check out Lani Kai 111. Sorry, it appears to be kind of pricey nowadays. It's been a while since we were there. Maybe you need a couple of roommates?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  05:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, the Kapa`a beaches are not very swimmable (strong rip currents year 'round) -- so you might want to look into something in the Po`ipu area.

The folks on fodors.com always give a "thumbs up" to the Prince Kuhio:
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krprincekuhio.html
and Kiahuna Plantation:
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkiahuna.html

Click your way around the island resorts, with this map:
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

Check out the Vacation Rentals by Owner website at http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai.
You can often get more reasonable rates there.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  10:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Kapaa beaches? Yes, not great for little ones except for Lydgate. If it is still there, your little ones can swim in an area completely protected by a rock barrier. The fishys can swim through the wall but the kids can't. Also check out Anini at the north end. Very shallow and very calm with nice picknic and shower area.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/Kauai/html/beaches/lydgate_beach.html

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/Kauai/html/beaches/anini_beach.html

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 01/25/2007 10:08:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  12:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Podagee, I've shown my boys pics of Lydgate and they're very excited. We're also excited to try Salt Pond and Tunnels for snorkeling.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  6:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Jesse, Salt Pond is kinda cool. It's almost like a big swimming pool with one little opening to the ocean. Kinda boring as I remember as far as snorkeling goes. Tunnels is awesome. There is good, shallow snorkeling close to shore then a very deep channel. Beyond that channel is more wonderful reef that goes out quite aways. Getting the kids to the outer reef may be difficult unless you go east on the beach where you can enter in shallower water. Just be aware, the last time I was at Tunnels, the beach area around the point to the east was clothing optional. My son, then 13, and I started out on the beach in front of the access area. We swam way out working our way eastward. When we got close to shore farther east than where we entered, I saw a strange looking pair of sea creatures...actually a naked couple frolicing in the water. We worked our way to the beach and everyone was nekid.

If the water is calm the channel is a piece of cake. If not there can be a strong current flowing through it. It's cool because the reef drops off abruptly, going from around 5 ft to about 30 ft deep. This is my favorite place to snorkel on Kauai. You could also try Ke'e beach at the end of the road. Again if the water is calm it is a great place to snorkel. I don't think there is a better place to watch the sunset than Ke'e beach. A small grove of palms, the rugged Na Pali coastline and a colorful sky makes for one of the most awesome vistas on the Island. God I wish I was going too. You'll have a blast I'm sure.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  2:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hey Jesse

The first time my wife and I were on Kauai, we stayed half of the time at Waimea Plantation cottages. We were newly weds, (pre-kids) and I wasn't even thinking in that mode yet, so can't really say how the cottages could work out for kids. We loved the place. Since then, they added a brew pub with the restaurant... OK the last time I was at the brew pub was in early 2000, so can't say if it is still there, but the restaurant was nice anyway. The upsides of that side of the island is you are right at the entrance to Koke`e state park, Waimea Canyon, Alakai swamp. Barking sands beach (is it Polihale?) is not very far. It was our first trip driving around listening to a Cyril Pahinui tape, BTW, that headed me down the road to slack key ecstasy. Another upside is the prices were lower on that side of the island. On another trip, we rented a house in the town of Waimea that was set back a block from the beach, but there was nothing between us and the beach. It was spacious enough for two couples with (at that time) 1 kid. I think it was less than $1k for a week in 2000. I could track down that info if you're interested.

The down side of that side of the island is the water is sort of muddy because of the discharge from Waimea river, just up current, so snorkeling right there is not so good

BTW, I just happened to be in the local grocery store and glance up at a Sunset Magazine and say to myself, hey that looks like where we spent our Honeymoon. I picked up the mag and sure enough Waimea Plantation cottages is the pic on the cover. They don't tell you much about it. When we went it had just opened up to tourists from its former life as worker housing for the plantation (sugar cane, I think). Having hit the Sunset cover, the costs may be higher than before...

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 01/28/2007 2:51:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  2:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
With all the great advice and long hours online, we have located quite a variety of condos in the $95-150 per night range, which is in our price range. We also realized that it's easy to pay $250-$350 per night for the same ones we can afford. We'll be reserving one in the next week for our June trip.
Since we have two young boys, one lodging criteria is a swimming pool. After a long day out hiking, or on those days when I just want to sit and play my uke by the pool, the kids can play to their hearts' content. We considered cottages and rental houses, but the pool was non-negotiable. We'll also stick to the Poipu/Koloa area to be near restaurants and some of the tourist stuff. We'll definitely venture to other parts of the island during our 10-day stay.
As far as activities go, various sources recommend a number of good snorkeling spots, plus kayaking the Wailua river and hiking at Koke'e, Waimea canyon and the NaPali coast area. If anyone else has some must-do activities, let me know.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  05:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

Some musical things to do:

Cindy Combs Fri beginning at 6pm at the Hanapepe Cafe - reservations needed.
Pancho Graham playing solo slack key at the Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea on Wed night.
Dennis Chun at the Hukilau restaurant in the Beachboy hotel near the Coconut Marketplace, also on Friday night.
Ken Emerson, Panch Graham and Kirby Keough at the Princevill hotel on Sunday nights.
Kirby also does a solo at the Marriot in the open air restaruant by the pool on Tues night and Hanalei Bay Resort on Friday.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000