Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 How cold is it...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  6:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
...it's so cold that...well you can fill in the rest. I tell you one thing for sure, I'm thinking a beach in Hawai'i sounds like a place I'd rreeaallyy like to be right now. Supposed to get down around 5 or 6 degrees here tonight, wind chill down around -12. Yikes! Some of you Taropatchers on the Islands want to send a little of that warmth our way...oh, and maybe a Mai Tai too. Mahalo.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile
And I thought it was getting cold here in Olympia. But it's only 24 right now on it's way down to an expected low of 15.....heat wave compared to you! But we did get to do some sledding and build a huge snowman with our grandkids yesterday! It has only snowed a handful of times during the 4+ years we've been here.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Our low tonight in North Idaho is going to be 5 below zero. Extra blanket time.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
We've had it good this winter. Last Saturday was 70 degrees and New Yorkers were walking around in their t-shirts and shorts. More back to normal tonight at 42 degress and I am still not complaining. Stay warm - especially if your in the single digits or colder!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

meg
Aloha

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile
The current windchill is -43 Celcius. Anyone wanna trade places?
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
We're not getting any sympathy here are we? Just a bunch of cold T-patchers crying in our beer huh? Forecast is for 2 above 0 tomorrow night. bbbrrrrr! Oh well, since it's to cold to do much outside, I guess we'll all get a little extra time to play with our stringed friends.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  9:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Today's high on Kaua`i was a bitter 78 or so...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  01:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Eh, no tease, Auntie!

I guess Meghan wins the low temperature contest though!

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/12/2007 01:57:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  04:12:40 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid in the hills of West Virginia....

It was so cold . . .
when we milked the cows, we got ice cream! When we milked the brown cows - we got chocolate ice cream!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Today's high on Kaua`i was a bitter 78 or so...

Very funny!

OK Auntie Maria, get out a big fan and point it towards the northwest. I'll put on some Island music - a little Gabby maybe - and go sit in my lounge chair on the patio and wait for those warm trades to get here. Haha. They'll get here alright - come June.

Edited by - Podagee57 on 01/12/2007 07:54:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
One advantage to the chilling weather here in Seattle...clear enough skies to view the recently-discovered Comet McNaught ---
http://www.komotv.com/home/video/5167132.html?video=pop&t=a
I was viewing it from the 38th floor of a downtown Seattle building last night, with binoculars.
The comet was first visible about ½-hour after sunset, and it took about 20 minutes to sink below the horizon.
Amazing to see – and we might get one more clear night of viewing tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:01:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
More back to normal tonight at 42 degress and I am still not complaining.
Just wait Andy, based on the satellite photos, looks like the fickle finger of frigid atmosphere is heading your way!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/12/2007 08:02:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  09:37:41 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence, believe it or not the scheduled drop to around 15 next week will be welcome. What lots of folks forget is that our flora and fauna are not adapted to these unusual weak El Nino conditions. For instance, our daffodils, daylillies, etc. are coming up - if they get buds, it is all over; Even our roses still have buds and haven't dropped their leaves. Deer ticks carrying Lyme disease, and mosquito eggs and larvae carrying West Nile are still alive in big numbers (they will kill a *lot* of birds in the coming year, and a few people); in the lakes next to our house, the mergansers, Great Blue Herons, and other who should be south, are hanging around with the swans and the geese and they are all eating everything on the lake bottoms that should be for other water fowl in Spring. Lots of good insects, like bees and wasps, who should be snugly hibernating were out and flying around and will get killed.

It has been nice not to pay so much for heating fuel at $2.39 a gallon, but I'd pay a little more to have things normal in the next 3 seasons. And, as deregulated electric rates in CT have just this month done what they did in CA a few years ago, we certainly don't want hot weather later that requires a lot of A/C activity.

Either way, you pay.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Well, global warming has certainly upset the standard weather patterns for us also. Last week I was able to actually work out in the garden, planting some very late daffodils but last night it became so cold that hubby and I were wrapping pipes and covering plants with frost blankets. It dipped down to 26 degrees and is expected to drop into the teens tonight. Maybe some snow at the higher elevations as well. Bad not only for the plants and animals, but we have a very large homeless and elderly population that is causing concern. A lot of folks have not planned for such cold and have no alternate source of heat besides their electric heaters. But when the power goes out, they're all in trouble.

Aloha from "sunny" California...
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  12:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Heat wave here, up to 0 for the first time in two weeks. Monday and Tuesday were minus 50 F. Wednesday warmed ujp abou 2 degrees/hour all day, nice feeling.
We have no wind when it gets cold, so wind chill is same as temp readings. 90 miles south they get cold and wind. I stay away from there in winter.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Karl - don't your eyelids freeze shut? I love the picture of you with your shorts and aloha shirt, sitting out in the snow.

Remember, a dry cold is the same as dry heat -- a freezer is dry cold, same as an oven is dry heat.

I guess Cleveland weather is not so bad.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000