Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 How cold is it...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile
How long have you lived there, Karl? And do you ever get used to weather that cold? I can't imagine what it's like. I was working in my unheated basement shop today with just a small electric heater to keep my hands warm and it never got higher than 48 degrees there. Outside, even though there was not a cloud in the sky, it never got higher than 30. We did go for our one hour jog in the snow this afternoon and 30 degrees in the sun actually felt great!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  09:19:26 AM  Show Profile
It's really really cold in Manhattan Beach. Last Monday and Tuesday, it was in the 80s. Now I'm waiting for it to get to 50. OK, so it's not as cold as some places. But our houses and heating systems aren't built to keep the house warm. The floors and the walls are still cold. I'm not sure what affect the price of heating oil does to the overall budget, but I heat with gas and it costs way more electricity for the fan to push the heat throughout the house. Good thing we don't have A/C.
And by the way, none of us had enough long pants to go between washings, and what do you wear on top so you can keep working outside? You see, where it regularly snows or floods, my guess is that you (except Julie and Maggie) ignore the garden, whereas I have to still keep everything watered well, swept, weeded, fertilized. And I lost the expensive pua keni keni I put in. And the ti plants I planted after Maile Ypes's lei-making class don't look all that swift. And it's way too cold to go swim right now.
Keep warm, and "keep your powder dry" to use a quote from the 19th century...
n
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:09:06 PM  Show Profile
It got above freezing yesterday. It's snowing lightly. What a change from Oahu last Thursday.
At least our power is on. We were without power for 5 days just before the Holidays. We had a new "Clean out the Freezer" Day celebration. So long pork chops and white bean soup.
Hope it gets warmer, can't clean windows in the frost.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Pumehana...

Sitting here in my shorts with the windows open. 73-80 today so no worries about frostbite :)

Being from Michigan I can definitely relate to the cold weather, but don't miss it much. I guess I'll never ice fish on lake Wilson, but folks here can't believe we used to drive our cars out on the ice for the day!

On my very first trip to the islands I went fishing in Kona, and got lucky...brought home a nice blue marlin to hang on the wall. I used to tease my friends saying I caught it through the ice at a local pond. I named my marlin....”Brando”, and miss him! Had to sell him when we moved, trophy marlins don't fit in a carry on..

One word of note here at my place. Friday I heard the buzz of a chainsaw, went out front to see what it was. My neighbor directly across the street from me cut down his rather large coconut tree. He didn't understand my excitement until I invited him up on to my deck to see the view...as it is now. From left to right we can see Pu'u Makakilo-The Ko'olau range, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head etc. all the way to Campbell Industrial park. February brings another Diamond Head sunrise opportunity; I'll have to figure out a new song and put a new video up to share! Stay warm, where ever you are. All of you folks are welcome to visit when the opportunity arises, a hui hou...

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  1:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
OK Ray

Your supposed to be painting, not basking in the sun

Its freezing here in Las Vegas with records being broken for lowest tempeture since 1800's. The fountain and waterfall in the courtyard are frozen solid at least a foot thick.

BUT its a DRY COLD
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  2:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Just got back from a week of skiing at Whistler, British Columbia. It was a dry cold there, too, but it was still below zero Fahrenheit. I look like a gray haired prune.

Fortunately the wind didn't blow all of the time but for a few days it was gusting to 100 kph at the peak of Blackcomb Mountain. Don't know what the wind chill factor was; the power structure doesn't like to publish that info. Only the hardy and the foolish point 'em down during days like that. I belong to the second category.

Ironically, Vancouver (70 miles south of Whistler) got more snow than Whistler during last week. Huntington Beach looks positively balmy this afternoon. The sun is out and the temp is in the low 60s, I suspect.

But no snow.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  6:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Rachel and I drove up to Disneyland yesterday...the temperature topped out at 55 and dropped quickly from there (compared to an average high for the day of 68). When I went to school in upstate New York 55 degrees in January would have meant shorts and a t-shirt. California weather has spoiled me...jeans and four layers on top and I was still cold!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/14/2007 6:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  06:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Craig, I'm amazed at what some of the kids wear to school here in below freezing weather. I often see them waiting for the school bus in shorts (although the shorts they wear these days drop to below their knees) and long sleeved T-shirts on days when the sky is clear and there is no wind blowing. The high will be 35 here today (average 44) and it was 18 (average 32) earlier this morning so it's quite a bit cooler than normal. We may even get a little snow again this evening and it's been so cool that the snow from a week ago is still on the ground and the snowman that we made with our grandkids is still intact. It's already snowed three times this winter while in previous years it's either snowed just once or not at all.

Also, my brain still hasn't yet gotten used to the fact that we're not in Hawaii any more. On days like today when it's clear and cold, I look outside and see nothing but blue skies and lots of sun and my brain still thinks that it should be warm!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  07:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Javiero, we had that same syndrome on our first trip to Kauai. Only in reverse. Being from the Northwest we are used to the fact that when it's raining, it's also cold. I remember driving in the rain on Kauai fully expecting that when I stopped and opened the door I would get a blast of cold air. Not so, more like a blast of warm air, it was warmer outside the airconditioned car than inside. That took a little getting used to.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  08:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cpatch!
We went to Christchurch in July. It was COLD!
You kiwis have it all -nwod edispu-

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  08:49:29 AM  Show Profile
Podagee57: It's funny to look at our different perspectives on these things because of where we were raised and what we're used to. You bring up some of the things that I remember well about when I was a kid growing up in Hawaii......like playing in the warm rain or even better, being at the beach and swimming in the rain! I'd never think of doing either one here.....the rain is too cold! Right now it's still 25 degrees outside but the sun is shining brightly and we're getting ready for our one-hour run in the snow. Because it's been so cold here, it hasn't turned to slush yet and is still white and beautiful.

But we just booked a trip back to Hawaii at the end of February so at least we have that to look forward to.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  10:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Yes you getused to the cold if you are out in it all the time as i was whenn i still had a dog team. Now I hustle between the house and the shop in my slippers, t-shirt nd flnnel jammies and that 75 yards is pretti dang long sny more. Guess i scould put on some real clothes and quit whining, eh?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Some things I actually like better here in the cold. After an hour run in Hawaii I could ring the sweat out of my shorts.....here you barely break a sweat!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  5:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

Some things I actually like better here in the cold. After an hour run in Hawaii I could ring the sweat out of my shorts.....here you barely break a sweat!

What are you running from...and why did it take an hour. hehe

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  5:38:00 PM  Show Profile
That was funny, Podagee57. The answer is......because it feels so good when I stop!

To tell you the truth, I just love life and intend to do everything I can to stay here a while. I wanna see my grandkids grow up and have kids of their own. I've been running regularly since I got back from Viet Nam and out of the Army in 1969. Besides, that way I don't have to feel guilty every time I eat some of that great Hawaiian food that's so good for you!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000