Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Two Pines...Big hole in sky and heart.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Change is inevitable...
but geez.
We sold our family house of 49 years, a 104 year old brick Victorian bungalow...
The new family is saving and adding to the original house--in a congruent style, so that is good...
but, and I knew this was possible...they cut down two beautiful old Ponderosa pines (70 ft each) and now there is this hole in the sky--and my heart...I grew up with these monsters every time I left the house. Raked lots of needles, but still loved em.

All I have left is 20 or 30 pine cones...not sure of the genetics of birds and trees, ...how do you make Ponderosa saplings sprout?

Does anyone know anything about propagating new Ponderosa pines from pinecones?
Do I need to go to the mountains to get an outside cone!
Should I check on it's pedigree?
A good tree from the right side of the Rockies?

Guess I should talk to an arborist...soon!
Or buy a new violin...spruce tops, koa back, ebony, ivory, and a little mother of pearl!

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I can certainly sympathize with you. I've been an architect for a very long time now and we have yet to live in a home that we didn't design and build to fit our own personal needs and lifestyle. And each time we moved from one home to the next, it was always with mixed feelings. While we were of course very excited to move into the new home, we were also sad to leave the home that had housed our family for that particuler period in our lives and where we had built so many fond memories. Take heart from the fact that the new owners care enough about your former home to be certain that their modifications will blend harmoniously with its current design style.

As for your question about propagation of Ponderosa Pines, I have no clue. But a new instrument can always go a long way towards making you feel better no matter what the situation!

You will always have your memories.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks...
If time permits, I'm gonna check with a nursery...but mostly, it's about letting go of things which must pass...and the house and trees are only an extension of what's really going on.
It would have been a huge undertaking to remodel and extend this house....and the trees were a logistical problem.
I don't think I could have taken them out...tree attachment disorder!
Anyway, it's always good to plant trees somewhere...even if I don't do the junior forester part! Living breathing memorials are the best.

And I have a new instruments planned...the low C of viola works nicely with C tunings (it's coming from Chicago in 2 weeks!)
Of course I either overdub, or reach out to other Colorado slackers...Are they hibernating, or just busy like me?

There's still some nice Winter music jobs...not Hawaiian, but last Friday I worked with John McEuen, a super picker (guitar, banjo, mando, and even fiddle) from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band...and we sold it out...well, he sold it out.
I fiddled while the banjo burned.
And the Feb. gig in Cave Creek Arizona should warm the soul.

Nero was here.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha O master of the violin.....
Pinecones are the flowers of pine trees. When fertilized, they come with seeds (nuts) which we call pinoles, or pine nuts. If you have squirrels.... hee hee hee.... the nuts from your pinecones are probably long gone. I would think that over the years you occasionally found saplings in your yard - probably pulled them out or mowed over them because you didn't need another tree right there. You will often see them when hiking around in your beautiful mountains, but my guess is that the gendarmes take dim view of your digging one up and giving it a pristine home. So going to the nursery and buying a sappling is probably the way to go... but of course, that might be a distant cousin instead of a keiki of your beloved Ponderosas. They grow here in the local mountains and the Sierras at about the 5 - 8K' mark. And they smell So Good in the sunshine. Just hold the memories in your heart. Maybe write a song to them?
aloha,
n
just stay away from the mangos
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Kapila Kane: When we moved from Hawaii to the Pacific Northwest, we built a new home on 2-3/4 acres (absolutely GIGANTIC by Hawaii standards) with a lot of brush and only a few trees on it. In the four+ years we've been here, we've planted around 200 trees, mostly evergreens, and some like Pua Kai mentioned, have just sprouted up on their own. No Ponderosa Pines though. I wonder if they grow here as we are much closer to sea level than you are? It's wonderful to watch them grow every spring and summer.

Things will be better when you get your new violin!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  10:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kapila Kane, I am dismayed at the many changes you've had to wade through these last few years. Just be strong. But losing those Ponderosas as well, boy, I think I probably would have chained myself to those trees before the tree cutters got there.

Having lived all over the world, often only in one house for 6 months to a year before moving again, I can now finally say that I have been in the same house for 23 years. I planted many trees, loved many plants, and even when I just think about moving to another place, I get the heebeejeebees.

Although we are in Redwood country, we do have several Ponderosas behind our property, and they are unusual for this area. They seem to love the sandy soil on our ridge, and there are only a very few places where they thrive here in the Coastal mountains of California. As long as you have the habitat that they need, I assume you can plant some small saplings and get them established. Seeds take forever....

Did you know that the song of the wind sighing through Poderosas is very different from the songs of the redwoods, or the cedars, or the bamboos, or the coco palms?

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Interesting note on the sounds of the winds through the different trees, Julie. As a young boy in Hawaii I just loved the sound of the gentle breezes (and even the ones that were not-so-gentle) blowing through those inronwood trees when we were out fishing, camping by the beach or hiking in the mountains. I can still hear them!

Heebeejeebees.....now that's a word I haven't heard in a while!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile
And the ASPENS!
It needs to be a grove to really zing and shimmer with sounds...sorta like God's mellowist shaker.

I have to not dwell excessively on the loss...shoulda, woulda coulda...takes time to heal--and positive action.
Plant trees, pray, and be thankful for creating music, green, and all the rest, and trying to be better to others we pass...although sometimes I forget to be kind.

Anyways, a song is a really good idea...something created with spruce, maple, Koa, ebony, Perninbucco and horsehair...and eye of toad...or at least voice of toad!
And of course, toe of Newt...hope he doesn't mind.

Meanwhile, back on the aspens....
I believe they are said to be the world's largest living organism--last I heard it was a huge grove located near the Billionaires town of Aspen...The roots are enmeshed and connected as ONE...
Long and Tall, not totally unlike palms...at least May-September!
When the stong winds blow they lean and sway--the Colorado Hula.

And thankfully, WE THE PEOPLE still own a lot of the land, trees, water and air...there are many wonders. Some are Mountainous, and some are Moleculer.
But shoulda (there's that word) saved 4 times of the original gifts.
Thank God and people of vision who created National parks and forests, and saved some of it...
Colorado, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Alaska and California (and all the Western states) contain places of peace, renewal, and salvation and, for me, house the greatest open air cathedrals...
Redwoods...well, don't get me started,
When I got to Armstrong Grove (first time at 47)...well I almost wept..
and then they tell me, "oh, these are realitively small compared to the Northwest."

Also, I just remembered something vague about how plants can "talk" through scents...not sure what they use for noses.

Gotta Hopalong and Ramble...as you can see.
Sorry about the Syntax.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/24/2007 6:16:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000