Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Arlo Guthrie at Haleiwa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  1:02:29 PM  Show Profile
You may be interested in this video at YouTube. Is this slack key or just finger pickin'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVhRRyWIvmw

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  1:32:04 PM  Show Profile

Sounds a lot like Isa Lei...

Seems he was in standard tuning but I'm not sure.

If so, I would not call it slack key, but it was pretty nonetheless!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  4:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
Hi Wanda,
Aloha from Buffalo. A very pretty song. I'm quite sure he was in Dropped D tuning, from watching his fingering and playing along (which wasn't exactly easy because he seemed to be tuned slightly lower than my guitar). It's quite possible he learned this song the way a lot of us may have started - by listening to a Slack Key tune but not knowing there is even such a thing as Slack Key, and just trying to play along by ear, starting from what we do know. I have to wonder if, of all the people that may go to an Arlo Guthrie concert, how many hear him play a song like that and fall in love with that sweet sound? If we played those people some real Hawaiian Slack, they'd probably melt into a puddle of tears. I know I would!

Bill

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
It certainly sounded like it was inspired by Isa Lei. And it sounded like slack key, too. The guitar sounded beautiful and nicely amplified.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  03:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the music was played and recorded beautifully. Of course, it was a pro production as a soundtrack of a pro production music video. Note that it was submitted by Jackie Guthrie from Rising Son Records. This takes nothing away from it; it just means that some excellent Golden Ears worked on it. I wish I could do that.

It is sad that neither slack key nor Isa Lei were raised to Guthrie's conscious level or that of the people who commented on Youtube. It will probably always be that way. Of course, someone here could always comment and say a few things.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  05:21:30 AM  Show Profile
This one hit a soft spot in me. I lived my formative years in Haleiwa, on Pikai st., righ near the old army beach ('56-'68).
An author said that you can never go back home again, but the music video alowed me one more visit.
sigh...

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  05:46:23 AM  Show Profile
One more thought.
It's been a long time, but I didn't recognize many things that looked like Haleiwa in the video. Maybe a place I knew as fresh air point was in it but the surf didn't look right. And perhaps one scene was near the mouth of Anahulu stream. I also don't recall many smooth rocks on the beach.
Maybe my memories have been distorted through time...one of the reasons you can never go back home again, I guess.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I don't want to speak for Arlo, but he's enough of a Hawaiian music fan to have done "Waimanalo Blues" and "Ukulele Lady" 20 years ago.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000